Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

bert wrote:
The keyword is enjoyable
But all other 4x4 will do the trick
Even your sedan car
but less enjoyable

Bert, you realise that the OP was talking about the 4x4 routes in the park? I'm sure they would be less enjoyable in a sedan car :tongue:

Post subject: Re: Ground Clearance per info page
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

They dont remove the hats, cause they are there to cover the ears. Hence "Blikore"

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:28 pm 

We did the Gharagab road in a Suzuki Grand Vitara which has a ground clearance of 200mm without any problems. I don't know about the 4X4 "Trails" though.

William

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hollebollegys,

We did the Nossob Eco 4x4 trail in a Nissan Pathfinder that is also not well known for its ground clearance at 238 mm. In the qutote below you can get an idea of vehicles that completed the trail. Some did not make Big Bertha but that is another story. We all did the trail without too many problems or retrieval geared used.

Hope the video and link will give you some idea.

Link to 2011 Nossob Eco 4x4 trail Trip Report

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=57752

WeskusKlong wrote:
Well here we are... some of us are back from the 2011 Nossob Eco 4x4 trail. Although some of the forumites are STILL in Kgalagadi, feedback will surely soon start to trickle in. I'll set the stage...here is a teaser :twisted: :

Sorry, I had to remove the original music - copyright issues. :cry:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:48 am 

Thank you for your replies.

That is the point I try to make all the bakkie, double cab, Pathfinder, fortuner kind of 4x4's ground clearance is i less than 30cm.

I feel the site is WRONG an should be corrected, there are no standard 4x4"s with 35 to 45cm ground clearance.

I know you can do it in a ML but that is not the point. I kindly want to advise Sanparks that their info provided is wrong.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I do agree on that. In actual fact 245mm is the higest ground clearance for unmodified 4x4 vehicle. The only vehicles I could find are military vehicles and tractors which will be high enough for the recommended height and game driving vehicles. Just a few pics of possible options for the next trip to KTP.

At 46 cm clearance this Cougar 4x4 ISS is a winner:

And less comfortable at 36 cm the Jeep Hurricane.

Jokes aside I do think Hollebollegys got a valid point unless the error is wading depth and not ground clearance. We had a few nervous moments last Dec going through the pools of water near Nossob :tongue:

Post subject: Road to Bitterpan
Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I see that the road to Bitterpan is marked as a 4x4 road, but can anybody tell me whether we would be able to go to Bitterpan in a 4 wheel drive Tiguan. It has no low range gear.

Don't want to book and then find out that we can't get there.

ta

Post subject: Re: Road to Bitterpan
Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We did the road a couple of years ago. We only needed low range once. The sand is very deep on some of the steep dunes. I would certainly feel happier with low range capability. Maybe KG can give you more up to date info.

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:14 am 

4 low is a must otherwise you will have to storm some of the dunes and that will not be good on the dunes or your vehicle. You will bounce around going up at high speeds.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If a Terios can get to Bitterpan without a problem then I suppose the Tiguan can do it as well. If low range was a requirement, Parks would have stipulated it as such. I haven't done the Bitterpan route but done the Echo 4x4 route and the Leeuwdril 4x4 route. Never needed low range for Leeuwdril and in the case of the Echo it was only a little matter called "Bertha" that really needed a real 4x4. :twisted: (sorry I had to throw this in :D )

In my opinion, for dune riding it is more important to drop tyre pressures as low as possible than to have low range. This all depends on the tyres fitted to the Tiguan. Low profiles will pose a problem but if your load is not so heavy that you have a ground clearance problem you will be OK. Also do the route early as possible in the morning. Don't attempt it midday when the sun is high - this is when the sand is loose and going is a bit tougher. It is momentum that carries you over the dune - choose your line carefully and keep it steady, you'll be fine.

Post subject: Where to from Mata mata and Nossob in the morning
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:04 pm 

Hi there,

I drive a Hilux bakkie but not a 4*4. Wat roads can I take in the morning to look for animals leaving from Mata-mata?

Can I go north from Nossob with a 2*4?

Your favourite dam or loop? :cam:

All advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Anton

June 2013
23 + 24 Kalahari Tented Camp
25 + 26 Mata-Mata Restcamp
27 - 30 Nossob

Post subject: Re: Where to from Mata mata and Nossob in the morning
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:24 am 

Hallo

Well from Mata Mata there is only one road to take!!

But as Nossob you can definitively drive north with a 4x2....these are spots I advice you to visit while at Nossob
1. Cubetjie quip (north)
2. Kwang(north)
3.Marie se draai (south)its a loop
4.And if you want to drive up north Lijersdraai is a beautiful picnic spot.

I don't know if you take photos but if you do the waterholes can sometimes be hiding a surprise or two, don’t know in what season your going but the dry season (may-October) the temp. Can drop quite low. The vegetation dies and photography (and game viewing) is a dream. The coldness in the morning will allow you to see animals lying still and doing sunbathing, raptors will be warming up before a day of hunting and if you look carefully you might see some owls roosting in the large camel thorn trees.

The dry season will encourage animals and large predators to come to the waterholes-watch the daily sightings.
While in Mata-Mata your chances of seeing cheetah is VERY good, they love the riverbed and hunt there frequently.

The wet season (november-april)
Temp. Are very high.
Thunderstorms build up and make beautiful photos, after the first good rains the springboks will start dropping fawns. Be on the lookout for nursery groups and a lonely fawn hiding between dead wood under a camel torn tree!
Keep an eye out for snakes in Jan-Feb and if you find a waterhole with lots of birds keep a lookout for raptors and especially the lanner falcon.
have a great trip.... :dance: :dance: :dance: :cam:

Post subject: Re: Where to from Mata mata and Nossob in the morning
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

AntonA,

You can basically travel on all the roads in KTP on the SA side, except the 4x4 routes you will require a permit or reservation to drive.

Bibronsgecko summed it up well. At Mata-Mata one way out and Nossob toss the coin for head or tails. The sightings board will tell you if you made a fault. Cubitje Quap is a bit of a dark horse. I had one of my best lion sighting there in Dec. These lions knew to choose the best waterhole for lots of cars to watch when they killed a wildebeest, but some days it can be rather quiet. Same goes for Maries draai. (BG I think your friend KS was there as well)

We always drive around Maries and if unlucky head north. Rooikop 3km south of Nossob can deliver good sightings of lion and brown hyaena, but at Maries we were not that lucky with cats and had some slip-ups as well like cheetahs we missed when heading north.

Post subject: Re: Info 4x4 and Sedans
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kgalagadi Guru wrote:
Morning all,

Just rectify some of the information regarding recommended ground clearance for vehicles in the park. I have received some expert advice where it was suggested that 190mm would be the recommended clearance.

Hope this helps

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Son godin wrote:
I do agree on that. In actual fact 245mm is the higest ground clearance for unmodified 4x4 vehicle. The only vehicles I could find are military vehicles and tractors which will be high enough for the recommended height and game driving vehicles. Just a few pics of possible options for the next trip to KTP. :tongue:

I have an unmodified 4x4 with GC of 290mm :hmz:

:twisted: Gotta go test it then in KTP soon. :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next