Skip to Content

No elephants

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
moobox
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

No elephants

Unread postby moobox » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:12 pm

I dont know if this is stupid question. But you can tell me to shut up if you like.

But why are there no elephants in KTP? I have seen doccies about desert elephants in South West/Namibia. I spent some special invitation time in some pretty dry desert areas in South West Africa on conservation duty. And there were elephants. Have there never been any in KTP area?

Afriphile

Re: No elephants

Unread postby Afriphile » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:52 am

Hi'moobox,
I read somewhere that elephants used to roam from the central kalahari right down to the Orange river,which is the nearest permanent water.
These days,because of human settlement and fences,elephants could not reach the river,and KTP is too dry for them to survive there year round.

Div

Unread postby Div » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:47 am

In 1997 an elephant was seen near Mata Mata. Recently 2 elephants were seen near Swartpan, the most northern part of the park.

Malealea

Unread postby Malealea » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:55 pm

official No Elephants exist but be aware that the KTP is huge. As far as I know das Elefants exist in Botswana. So why shouldn´t they sneak around?

Anyway I assume that the officials will not say that an animal exist without a 100% It has something to do with expectations which shouldn´t be disapointet
life is Game, you rather play or flee. I chose to play the Game.

picnic
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby picnic » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:49 pm

Nope haven't seen one in Kgalagadi yet. Addo or KNP will be good places to search for them. :thumbs_up:

Return to “Arid Parks”