Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: "Nightmare in Kgalagadi"
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:37 pm 

We're an avid lovers of the Kgalagadi and try to visit this wonderful park as often as possible.

First of all I think I should mention that I'm Afrikaans speaking but can defend myself ("Yes and no") if required when confronted with the English language.

As we recently, end June beginning July, spend a few days in the Kgalagadi; spend a wonderful time and found the facilities more than just "satisfactory") I could not believe it when I heard about a very negative article that was published about the Kgalagadi.

This morning I decided to go and buy the magazine - Leisure Wheels August 2014 Issue no 124 (page 19 and 90) and read the article myself.

The gentleman who wrote the column, a certain Mr Wayne Jacobs, ended his letter of complaint (gripe, moan wail might be a better discription of his letter) with the following, and I quote "...the Kgalagadi is a disgrace to SANparks"

Now obviously we're not talking or writing about the same place. It must have been his first visit to the Kgalagadi and Mr Jacobs did not do his research properly. To start with he booked seven nights accommodation and was send documents from Gaborone? According to his article he did the booking on a "Kgalagadi website" and not the normal SANParks website. When he arrived at Twee Rivieren he was surprised when he was told to go to the "opposite side of the entrance hall".

This is where his mentality started showing when he told the official, and again I quote ...I would drive through the boom if needs be, but I intended to sleep at Twee Rivieren that night - just over there, and pointed at the campsite."

I honestly can not believe somebody to act like this! He moans about everything, the roads, the worst he have ever driven on, shaking the car and everything inside to pieces. (He is introduced as being involved in 4x4 adventures and overland trips for more than 10 years and visited destinations such as Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe?)

Maybe Mr Jacobs should either get himself another brand car and/or keep to visiting the places he got to know on his "overland trips". I'll also recommend him doing better research before visiting a new park.

I do not think I'll enjoy sharing the Kgalagadi with him or his sorts.

Post subject: Re: "Nightmare in Kgalagadi"
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ja Spikes. It's one thing listening to a person express reservation or maybe even complaint. But there are people who thrive on denigrating places (and sometimes people as well) and they are just a complete pain in the you-know-what. They are also quite often the people who seem to believe that the world is just waiting for their commentary.

For myself, I am planning my attack on KTP. I have been told here that the roads can be a bit bumpy but not so bad. However, I can recognize when I am in tough company and this is just such a place. I have spoken in person to folks who have been there and some are the more gentle and soft types (like myself) and they have warned me to be ready for a character building exercise. And that is part of my planning and preparation.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:19 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
We are Kruger junkies, but we were persuaded to try out that strange place called Kgalagadi, at the North West end of South Africa, in 2011.

What a pleasure it was.....true it was very different to Kruger (do not even try to compare them) but never the less an amazing place!!!!

Well run camps, and so many birds and animals that are not found in Kruger. :dance: :dance:

Mr Jacobs must be very hard to please.......or maybe just someone who likes to complain. :whistle: :whistle:

We hope to visit there again one day. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If you don't know what you are doing (Booking in Gabarone) and the blame SANPARKS it says it all. I was in KTP from 12 to 15 July and we had a great time. All the staff was really friendly and helpfull. The camps and rooms we stayed in was clean and more than adequate. If someone complains about the roads I'll have to agree that some parts are really bad. The staff are trying their best with what the have, but people not deflating their tyres and not using high range 4x4 if they have it. More so if pulling trialers and offroad caravan , make their job an impossible task. So :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: to KTP and the people who makes it an very enjoyable destination.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:26 pm 

Apart from our Kgalagadi trip, towing our Bush Lapa offroad caravan all the way to Nossob, we have since also been to Augrabies NP, Addo NP, Mountain Zebra NP and Karoo NP.

I thus think I can truly comment on our national parks - from personal experience. We enjoyed every park and every moment, were always impressed by the facilities and the boiling hot water in the showers.

Thanks to every SANParks staff member who made our visits most enjoyable.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:30 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Spikes I think you should write to this magazine with your experiences in the KTP and I am sure you will get many positive Reponses. And it will also tell other folk the good things in KTP

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:10 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
I don't think Mr. Jacobs is connecting the dots, the dots pointing him towards the fact that he was not staying in SANParks. :whistle:
Anyone booking on the Bots side know that their camps have minimal infrastructure and that is why most people book there.

Mr Jacobs, please in future, restrict your 4x4 and overland trips to tarred roads and leave KTP to us.
We love it the way it is, thank you! :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:37 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Spikes, thanks for taking the time to write on the forum. :gflower:

I find that a lot of people have unrealistic expectations and then hammer Sanparks. It seems that Mr Jacobs is just not taking responsibility for his lack of foresight.

People who make a habit of blaming others are seldom happy and tend to spit venom.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:18 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

JenB wrote:
I don't think Mr. Jacobs is connecting the dots, the dots pointing him towards the fact that he was not staying in SANParks. :whistle:
Anyone booking on the Bots side know that their camps have minimal infrastructure and that is why most people book there.

Mr Jacobs, please in future, restrict your 4x4 and overland trips to tarred roads and leave KTP to us.
We love it the way it is, thank you! :twisted:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbs_up: