Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cellphone reception at Augrabies?
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:24 pm 

good reception in camp

Canon 7D Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM-Canon 100-400 IS USM F4.5-Canon 28 - 135 is -Sigma 24mm f1.8 MACRO-Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM-Canon EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 Image Stabilized USM-Canon EF 2X II Extender-Canon EF 1.4 Extender

Post subject: Re: Cellphone reception at Augrabies?
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:48 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Unfortunately.

Post subject: Re: Charging of batteries
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:29 pm 

Touareg wrote:
I will be heading off to KTP in a week and for the first time be spending 3 nights in KTC, Urikaruus and Kieliekrankie. In the past I have only stayed in the main camps. My question is relating to the charging of camera batteries/laptop battery etc in the Wilderness camps. Are these camps generator or solar powered. Is the power supply sufficiently stable to do the charging or do you suggest I get an inverter for the vehicle to do the charging on the go?

We always travel with an inverter, but have used it only on extended stays where there was no electricity - e.g. Mabuasehube on the Botswana side. We charge everything when we get to the main camps where there is electricity as you already know. I think 3 nights will not really need an inverter, and if you really have problem, the staff at Mata Mata will be more than willing to charge your camera etc. when you stay at KTC for example.

Post subject: Re: Some Basic Questions
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:07 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I am treating myself to a "retreat" at Grootkolk over the new years holiday. I see that there is solar power for lighting. Are there electrical plugs that I could use for my laptop? I would like to do a bit of writing and am not sure if I still know how to hold a pen.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sorry, MM, there are no electrical outlets at Grootkolk. Perhaps you should get a car charger for your laptop, so that you can recharge it during your drives out from Grootkolk. Better still, just relax and enjoy the special remoteness of Grootkolk -- or use your pen Grootkolk will provide you with plenty to distract you from any idea of doing "work" -- there are always birds, insects, lizards, mice and other small things to entertain you there. As well, there are visitors to the waterhole day and night and the constantly changing light means that the vista is also constantly changing. I've never found any need at Grootkolk to do more than enjoy its many pleasures!

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:01 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks Arks.. its not really work, more notes.. I always enjoy jotting down my thoughts and impressions. I wonder if one of those little "Blackberry" gadgets will suffice. They are so small though.

I am so looking forward to it though. Just wish I could add another day or three. I could not think of a better way to start the new year.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:51 pm 

MM - you will not want to "work" on your laptop in a place like Grootkolk...there is just too much to miss out if you don't spend every available minute in the now of the experience! Rather take a little voice recorder to keep your notes - that you can do whilst driving or going to the loo...

Post subject: Re: Cellphones internet and technology
Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This is my 4th attempt at this post - my internet connection keeps bombing out and losing it!

Just back from 12 wonderful days in KTP - first visit. With reference to my post on page 1 of this thread, we found the following re cell phone reception:

TR - good reception on Vodacom (didn't try MTN)

Kieliekrankie - on and off reception on Vodacom. My brother's UK international roaming selected MTN and he got better reception.

Grootkolk - fair reception via Namibian server on both UK and SA international roaming.

In TR, Kieliekrankie and Grootkolk my brother used internet ( a little) on his I-phone and UK international roaming.

We found occasional reception sufficient to keep in touch. Luckily there were no major dramas at home!!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Hippotragus It is always good to have up to date information :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hippotragus :thumbs_up: :D

Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:big_eyes: The LAST thing that I would ever want at Grootkolk is cellphone reception. :roll: One of the joys of KTP — and most especially of Grootkolk! — IMO is that it remains one of the few places where you are able (or forced :tongue: ) to disconnect. It is IMO very healthy to leave behind the present-day obsession with instant access and really chill. In my experience there is nothing that can't wait a few days — or even weeks. We survived perfectly well for decades without instant access :whistle: Long may KTP remain one of the very few places where you can truly get away from it all!! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Batsman wrote:
Micetta we twice had cellphone reception at Kieliekrankie. But that's not for sure and nothing is guaranteed.

Just take it as it comes, people are quick to tell us, there are no guarantees in life :? But as I had experienced a few times ... life is also full of surprises!!!

arks wrote:
:... It is IMO very healthy to leave behind the present-day obsession with instant access and really chill...

Ditto!!! Time for oneself and time to recharge oneself and not cellular batteries!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I agree with arks. If I am in Grootkolk why the hell would I want to hear bad news there. It is at least 2 days hard ride anywhere. Tell me when I get home.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

arks and BB, I don't want to get into a discussion BUT there are some of us who love the bush and "being away from it all", but do not have "lock up and go" situations. As I said, we managed with what was available and, luckily, there were no disasters at home. I have very competent staff and a very reliable, knowledgeable housesitter. However, on a 7 acre smallholding with valuable (emotionally and financially) animals, complex systems (alarms, borehole etc.), it is nice for all concerned to have some contact once in a while. Sometimes decisions have to be made there and then - not in 2 days time - when animals are concerned.

I agree we managed before cell phones, but now we have them we can benefit from them. At no time, anywhere in the bush, do I have mine on loud ringing and I certainly don't infringe on anyone's peace and quiet. There are ways and ways of using them.

As I have said before, I sometimes envy people who can "lock up and go", but I would not change my lifestyle for it.

No-one is forced to use a cell phone if reception is available. If you don't want to use yours, just leave it switched off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next