Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Namaqualand: best time to visit ?
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:25 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Norbet,

Welcome to the forum
In my personal opinion the best time is from middle to end August, maybe beginning of September.
It all depends however on when they get their rains... sometimes the peak time is end August and last year with the early rains the peak time was already over beginning of Sept.
Another thing to take into consideration is the types of flowers... they bloom in phases so to speak. Some start blooming soon and others only start blooming towards the 'end' of the flowering period.
So while the daisies for instance might have reached their peak & start going down other flowers will make an appearance like Gazanias & the succulents/vygies.

Although you might not see the masses of flowers you see on postcards & calendars I'm sure you will still see some flowers 11 Sept.

Post subject: Re: Namaqualand: best time to visit ?
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Norbet
Jakkalsbessie is correct. It depends on when the rains come. We were there mid August last year and because the rains came early the flowers were already at the end of their peak. Still really beautiful, but it is a gamble to make a booking for the exact time. We commented that the next time we would go would be beginning Aug but who knows what happens this year ??

Post subject: the best of Namaqualand
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:55 pm 

Hello

Please advice the best places for sightseeing in Namaqualand for the flower season. Where should I stay, Springbok? and then move around? What would be a good plan for 3-4 days, the must-sees and the must-dos of the area? Ive never been around it's my first time in South Africa, please help

How can I find out what is the best time to go this year 2009, is there a website or a hotline? Also, flying out from Johannesburg where should I land, budget airlines ideas.

Thanks helpful people!

Post subject: Re: the best of Namaqualand
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi SAexplorer and Welcome!

Flower season is August and September and accomodation will book up quickly. The "best time" always depends on the balance of good winter rains and the advent of warmer and sunnier weather in August and September. One of the best places for seeing a wonderful range of flowers is the West Coast National Park — the park's Postberg section is only open during flower season — as well as surrounding areas on the West Coast. Look for WCNP trip reports in the Arid Parks Trip reports index.

There is accomodation in WCNP, as well as in neighboring towns and villages (have a look at Yzerfontein, Darling, Langebaan). And the park is only about an hour's drive from Cape Town up the scenic R27, but there are distinct advantages to staying in the local area. In addition to the park, which is one of my favourite places, there is the Darling Wine Route, artist galleries and many nice restaurants in the area. And Geelbek, the restaurant in WCNP, is excellent.

Have a great trip!

Post subject: Re: the best of Namaqualand
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:34 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The area around Garies is also very good usually. It is an hour's drive north to Namaqua Nat Park which is also great.

Post subject: New 4x4 Trail opens in Namaqua National Park
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:58 am 

FAC Member (2012)
Media Release
Quote:
A new 4x4 trail, the Caracal Ecoroute, was opened for visitors during July 2009 at the Namaqua National Park. The 153km trail stretches from Skilpad in the Northeast to Groen River in the south, and will enable visitors to enjoy previously inaccessible new areas of the Namaqua.

The Caracal Ecoroute will take visitors through some of the most spectacular scenery in Namaqua, from the Kamiesberg with unending vistas, through the beautiful inland dunes and along 50km of breathtaking west coast. Along the way you can see amongst other the hand- constructed Wildeperdehoek pass; historic caves; estuaries rich in birdlife, and in flower season, the whole spectrum of flowers in Namaqua.

Animals such as Gemsbok, Hartebeest and Springbok are common in the flatter areas, and in the mountains you may even see such rarities as Leopard and Aardwolf. Along the coast and in the countless picturesque little bays you may see Heavisides’ dolphins (a West Coast endemic) and the occasional whale further offshore.

The trail is considered easy, with the most ‘difficult’ areas being some sandy stretches along the coast and some mountain sections - graded no more than three anywhere. The wet season can be tricky though and strong-flowing streams and rivers should not be crossed. During wet season it is recommended that two vehicles do the trail together. The trail can take anything from 4-7 hours, depending on conditions and time spent sightseeing. Best time of year: Any time, because of the diverse habitats the route goes through. The route may be closed after heavy rains- please enquire beforehand.

No bookings are necessary for the Caracal Ecoroute, but it is essential to obtain a booklet and map at Skilpad Office. Fees are R100 per vehicle and normal conservation fees per person will apply. The trail is free of charge for Skilpad Rest camp residents. Residents can either return along the same route or via Garies.

There can be few things more enjoyable than staying in one of our picture- perfect, fully equipped self-catering chalets at Skilpad, and then doing the trail at your leisure from there. The Ecoroute will show a side of Namaqua few people are aware of.

Post subject: Re: New 4x4 Trail opens in Namaqua National Park
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:02 am 

Nice, thanks for the info BGS!

Another trail on the "to-do-list"

Post subject: Re: New 4x4 Trail opens in Namaqua National Park
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:26 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
This is great news Spookie.

I like the idea of a trail that is not very challenging. It encourages people who want a little more remote experience to go there, not those hell bent on breaking their vehicle.

Post subject: Namaqualand flowers in September?
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:38 am 

Hi all - new to SA (just moved to Johannesburg) and this website.
We have a few days off around 24 September - will it still be possible to see the Namaqualand flowers in bloom then, or will we have missed it? I see on the reports that the show has started already. Also, can we get around the park in our VW Polo without problems?

Last edited by jeroenvm on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Namaqualand flowers in September?
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:26 pm 

You might just make it still but ask again nearer the time.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
The flowers seem to be early this year. You might just catch the tail end.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Jeroenvm

If you are serious about seeing the flowers, then do not wait till end of September -- it is only in very unusual seasons with prolonged cool, rainy weather, that stunning flowers will still be open end of September.

Right now is the perfect time to go -- you have a long weekend coming up next week, and the weather prediction for the whole weekend is lovely, with most flowers in the northern sections.
I am taking a youth group from our church, and plan to spend most of the day trips in the area of Kamieskroon etc.
Maybe we will see each other amongst the daisies!

God bless

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:43 pm 

Thanks for the warm welcome, all - hope to use the forum often over the next year. Just waiting for my residence visa so I can get the wildcard at the lower SA rate
I had seen the flower report, but it gives no indication to virgins like me how long it may last.
'Unfortunately' I'll spend this upcoming long weekend trampling up the dust at the Oppikoppi festival - so I'll have to convince mrs jeroen to take a day off elsewhere soon to do a long weekend in the west.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:43 pm 

Hi everyone,
I have a question similar to that posted by Jeroenvm. We are supposed to go from Cape Town to Springbok on September 9 an come back on the 11 to see the flowers. It is my understanding that the season is very early this year and I wonder if we may end up travelling all the way to Namaqualand (with 3 children) not to see the blossom or just the very end of it.
Any reccomendation? What's the best website for updates on the flower season?
Our alternative is to stay further south, maybe go to West Coast NP and catch something in Postberg.
Thanks,
Francesco

Post subject: Namaqua Camping. Where?
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:45 am 

In two weeks we'd like to spend a couple of days in the park to enjoy the bloom. We'll have a 4WD vehicle with roof tent but Namaqua Nat'l Park doesn't seem to have a campground. Is it prohibited to camp inside the park? and if so, what are the alternatives short of returning to Springbok?
Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next