Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:37 pm 

Anyone been in the park lately?
I'm planning an extra stop on our way back to Stellenbosch in June after visit KTP and Augrabies.
I know flower season is not started yet in June some other must to see tips or just enjoy?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:57 am 

We were in the park at the end of March and we were lucky to stay in one of the four new chalets that were built in the park.
The chalets is the best I've seen in the national Parks with a lovely view.
Allthough it is not flower season there is always something to see in the veld, even flowers. Just go into the veld and look around. I would suggest that you stay for at least 2 nights to experience the park. If you want to rest, it is away from everything.

Christo Stemmet

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:25 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi All

We're thinking of spending two nights in the park in December. My SO's MIL grew up in Nababeep (near Springbok) so we're going to have a look see and visit some family. Is the park accessible for sedans?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:28 am 

I'm going to Namaqua NP next August, someone knows if is possible to have some walk in the park? There are some trails to walk/hike and to see flowers?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:05 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

There are several short nature trails, and picknic sites are around as well.

The Park gates are open from 08:00 to 17:00. At present the Park has only a limited road network available to sedan vehicles. No shop, restaurant or fuel is available in Namaqua National Park and guests must take along their own firewood.

Don't forget the birds there! You can find a checklist here.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:44 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks DuQues

I'm not really worried about not being able to drive around much in the park, I would prefer to do the walks. I'm was just wondering whether access to the park and the Skilpad rest camp is OK for sedans?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:41 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I see no mention of 4x4's anywhere on the pages about Namaqua, so I guess there should be no problem.

On the other hand, might that mean that if you have a 4x4 you're not allowed in the park?

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:13 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

One does not need a 4 x 4 to get to the Namaqua National Park restcamp. The road to the accommodation is quite suitable for a sadan. There is a short loop that one can do in a sedan thereafter you will need a 4 x 4. The short loop revealed meerkat, rabbits/hares as well as antelope as well as the most stunning flowers. There are many other reserves in the area that you can explore with a sedan as well. The accommodation is fantastic...the view is awesome. Absolutely well worth a visit.

:) :) :) :) :)

Post subject: Namaqua accommodation
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:34 pm 

Hi,
I hear that the chalets at the Namaqua Park are lovely, but was just wondering how close they are to each other?
I don't want to be on top of other visitors, but don't want to feel too isolated either! Any info welcome, thank you : )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:24 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Supertad
Hope that this give you an idea Not too sure what you would refer to as too close or too far but having a look at this first pic may answer your question
The following are taken from our chalet.... awesome views
Image Taken from kitchen area looking out towards enclosed verandah
ImageFromm bedroom looking out towards enclosed verandah
ImageFom in the verandah. The lounge door and bedroom door both opens onto this verandah.
We are visiting again in Sept, this time will spend a few days. Last visit was only an overnight stay on way home from KTP and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
Enjoy

Post subject: :Namaqua National Park to go coastal thanks to De Beers!
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:24 pm 

Quote:
by Zakiya Fareed

On Thursday, 6 November 2008, CE of SANParks, Dr David Mabunda accepted 36 000 hectares of land from De Beers Consolidated Mines (DBCM) to expand the Namaqua National Park all the way to the coast! The 99 year lease agreement was signed at Head Office (Groenkloof National Park) by Dr. Mabunda and Mr. David Noko, the Managing Director of DBCM.

The small ceremony was attended by various SANParks officials including Namaqua National Park Manager, Bernardt van Lente and Regional Manager of the Arid Region, Dries Engelbrecht as well as the deputy chairman of DBCM, Mr. Manne Dipico and their head of ecology, Johan Kruger.

The 36 000ha forms the area between the Groen and Spoeg Rivers and acquisition of this means that the park is linked from the high lying areas around the Skilpad section through to the coast. This inclusion will increase the Namaqua National Park area to 144 000ha, making it the fifth largest national park after Kruger, Kgalagadi, Addo and Richtersveld.

The greater significance of the acquisition of this land is that the park contains key components of the Succulent Karoo biome – the world’s only arid biodiversity hoptspot. The Succulent Karoo biome has been identified as a priority for protected area development. This acquisition brings into the Park 36 000ha of pristine coastline for this purpose.

The signing of this agreement also heralded the beginning of a few more plans for the area. SANParks has initiated the planning processes for the establishment of a Marine coastal Area of the coast between the Groen and Spoeg areas. It has also been decided to expand the park into the Kamiesberg mountains behind Kamieskroon.

SANParks has also already initiated an R8,5m Working for the Coast project, which is employing 55 people over a 3 year period in rehabilitation and development of this area. SANParks has also accessed just over R1m from DEAT and have employed a section ranger and two rangers for the daily management of the area.

In addition, Dr. Mabunda announced to the group that he had, just that morning, approved an allocation of R3,7m from the Park Development Fund in order to implement a fencing project for this coastal component of the Park. This news was well received by all, especially Bernardt van Lente and Dries Engelbrecht.

“Through our approach of labour intensive infrastructure development and local procurement, we would hope that this will give a further stimulus to the area. In longer term, of course, what we are all working towards is the development of a viable and sustainable eco-tourism economy in this wild and beautiful coastal area,” said Dr. Mabunda.

In closing, Dr Mabunda expressed his gratitude towards all partners, De Beers in particular, for making it possible to move forward towards a biodiverse and economically vibrant future for all. He further thanked De Beers for the productive relationship built and expressed hope that the relationship would be nurtured in future through similar projects.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Namaqua National Park Dec 2008
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

These pics were taken during our trip to Namaqua in December 2008

The best (most private) chalet is number 4.

Office and reception in the distance:

Post subject: ACCESS TO COASTAL SECTION OF NAMAQUA NP
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:04 pm 

My first post. I am an addicted desert rat, roaming the area from Namaqualand to Skeleton Coast and inland to Etosha, KTP and Aughrabies.

We have often gone to a place known in Namaqualand as Boulder Bay, +-30km South of Hondeklip Bay. (Close to the dune fields.) I am not sure whether it is south of the Spoeg river (I don't exactly know where the Spoeg river is), but I suspect it is. In the past we arranged permission through CDM.

How will the transfer to NP affect access to this area? I was planning another photography trip here for June 2009.

Post subject: Re: ACCESS TO COASTAL SECTION OF NAMAQUA NP
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:30 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I would suggest you look up the phone number of the Nam NP under 'Contact us' & give them a call.

Post subject: Namaqualand: best time to visit ?
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:33 am 

Hallo,

what is the best timne to see the wild flowers in Namaqualand ?
Is sept. 11th still o.k. ?

Thank you for your answer.

Best regards
Norbert

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next