Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: RNP entry
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:08 pm 

Eish - i'm planning on visiting the park at the end of August. hopefully things improve before then. Greg, when are you going?
I'd like to get some first hand info from someone regarding the conditions.
I drive a raised 4X2 with diff-lock, capable of all but the absolute worst conditions, but one will never know exactly HOW bad things are. There will be true 4X4's in our party though if any recovery is needed.
cheers
Will

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:29 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

@ Will: When in August are you planning on going? We are planning to be back home on the 26th of August, then I will be able to inform you, else we are going to miss each other.

Reservations done, just the payment and we are ready for the Richtersveld.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:26 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Howzit & welcome Buck and Will.

We went to RV in April in between the rains.

I recommend a high clearance vehicle, preferably a 4WD.

You would probably be able to get to Potjiespram (10km from Sendelingsdrift) with a sedan, but for the rest you need 4wd. It would be a pity to go all the way there just for 10% if the park, also the namaqua spring flowers should be awesome in early September and the park should be carpeted with colour.

The road from Springbok to Alex Bay is a good tarred road, and the last 90km to SD are in a good gravel road. They sometimes have a problem with fuel, at SD so I would fill up at Alex. I would return the same way unless you wish to meander slowly alone through the middle of nowhere. Look out for raptors on the telephone poles. Jackal buzzard, greater kestrel, pale chanting goshawk, black shouldered kite.

Have fun,
BB

Post subject: Using Helskloof Gate
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:12 pm 

Hi
I have a question about the use of the Helskloof gate as it looks like it would be much quicker to use this gate to and from both De Hoop and Kokerboomkloof. Is this possible or do I have to enter and exit via Sendelingsdrift?

We are heading across to Upington after we leave the RNP and were planning on doing some stock up shopping there but we have to get there before shops close. Looks like we could save an hour or so if we are allowed to exit from this gate.

Are there any restrictions on using this gate? The info on this site does say that admission needs to be via Sendelingsdrift...

Thanks

Greg

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Greg, the Hellskloof road was badly damaged from the rain and last I heard was still closed to traffic. You should phone the Parks Manager, Andy, at Sendelingsdrift before you leave and get the latest up date from him.
There is a building at the gates, but the offices are closed due that road being closed.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:38 pm 

I have just returned from RNP and can answer some of the recent questions. But first I have to say that the park is absolutely stunning after the heavy rains.

The bridge between Port Nolloth and Alexander Bay is out, but there is a short detour. It's no problem for a sedan vehicle. In the park itself I would not want to travel in anything less than a 4x4. Many of the roads are in dry riverbeds that are not so dry at the moment. At one place the road to Kokerboomkloof is washed away and you have to find your way through the river. As some signs were washed away, you have to navigate carefully. It's not too much of a problem, just take some care.

Do not confuse the Helskloof Gate with the Helskloof pass. The Helskloof Gate is closed and the only entry/exit is through Sendelingsdrift. The Helskloof pass is between Eksteenfontein and Vioolsdrift and is not difficult with a 4x4, but should not be attempted with a sedan.

We left Kokerboomkloof and stayed over in a chalet at Khubus. It's R160/night for 2 people and very neat and comfortable (fridge, stove, utensils). Ask for Johanna Obies in Khubus. From Khubus to Vioolsdrift (Oewerbos campsite) via Lekkersing, Eksteenfontein, Helskloof pass took a very easy day (09h30 to 15h00).

Hope it helps.

jr

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi the |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld is in bloom! See our front page for a little more about this extraordinary park...and here's a few pics to whet your appetites...more with the story

Post subject: Richtersveld trip
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:33 am 

Hi sorry for the late reply - we will also be heading back to CT on the 26th of August. but thanks for all the other info. I will only be going as far as de Hoop for a week of camping and exploring the area by foot/canoe. (with a fly-rod in hand... :-) can't wait.

Post subject: Re: Richtersveld trip
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:25 pm 

Please explain the fishing, we'll be going 16/09-23/09
and for all those wondering, Hellsgate is still closed and will probaly be till past the end off the year

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Our trip report, here
(Still under construction)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Any news on the border post in the park?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

When we were there in August they said hopefully early next year. Will need to see, we can maybe ask dianne if she can find something more.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi All

Last I heard was next year...but will just double check in the next day or two and confirm.

Post subject: Travelling in the Richtersveld
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:23 pm 

Having read some of the experiences by people who have visited the Richtersveld, to me there appears to be conflicting information and views regards the necessity of having a 4x4 vehicle.
SANParks' website states that a vehicle with sufficient ground clearance is enough, however some visitors mention that on entering the Park they had to engage low range 4x4 in order to travel.
Now, I don't want to travel 1600km only to find that I can't experience the Richtersveld to its utmost and would therefore like to know what is advisable.
I have a "soft" 4x4 (Nissan X-Trail). Would I be able to access and travel on all (or most) of the routes in and to and fro the Richtersveld or not.
I am planning such a trip for March - April this year (2007).

Post subject: Question - Potjiespram Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:08 am 

We are visiting the Richtersveld National Park between the 1st and 7th of April 2007 and have been cautioned about the adverse winds in the Potjiespram Rest Camp. What wind conditions can we expect? We have also been told that despite booking into a particular camp, we may arrive to find all the camp sites taken. Is this true?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 36  Next