Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Richtersveld advice
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:49 pm 

WeskusKlong,

THANKS for your response! I will digest and send a further mail if required. I use T4A and the detailed info will be very useful.

Enjoy the West Coast. We lived in Saldanha for 10+ years but never went that far up the coast.

2013 - KNP, Marakele, Moremi
2014 - Sadly no SANParks, Moz & CKGR

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:17 am 

Weskusklong, We now plan to leave the Richtersberg campsite on our last day in the RTP, leave via the Helskloof gate to stock up on fresh produce etc in Alexanderbaai and then to turn east again for a night's camping at either Tierkloof or Bakkrans cave. Which one would you recommend and does one need to book in advance?

After that, via Eksteensfontein and Nababeep to Aquacade - where I suppose we need to book.

What do you think?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Boomerang.

Both the camp sites are special in their own right. Tierhoek now have ablution facilities (since last year) but I don't know how well they are kept clean. Take into account it is very far from Kubus or Eksteenfontein where the maintenance people are so I won't rely on clean facilities. Judging by Kokerboomkloof's situation it will be difficult to maintain the ablutions. If anybody has been there recently, I would like to know the situation as well.

Tierhoek is in a little gorge, well protected from the wind if you camp on the furthest spot into the gorge. We had a leopard visiting during the night we were there - only saw the (big) spoor though.

Bakkrans have the semi cave in which you can camp but there is space for one group only. A bit dusty inside so if it was me I would go for Tierkhoek (again). I include photos of both for you to decide:

Bakkrans: (Take note of my friend's +/1.8m height on the photo to judge the size of the cave.)

Tierhoek:

Yes you have to book in advance. Speak to Volenti at the number in my previous post, or e-mail them at: tic@lantic.net.

Post subject: RICHTERSVELD
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:10 pm 

I intend visiting the Richtersveld during August 2010. I only have a 2x4 vehicle Toyota Hilux 2.7 Raider with a Diff lock. Will I be able to visit Potjiespram and De Hoop Camps I have been advised by an Off Roading Centre to have all terrain tyres fitted. I am not a 4x4 fundi and do not conteplating driving the 4x4 off tracks.

Regards

Bobby

Post subject: Re: RICHTERSVELD
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Your Toyota will do just fine. Lower the tyre pressure to 1.6 bar for rocky areas and if you have problems in sand you can go as low as 1 bar.

Just keep momentum and you will be able to reach both camps without problems. Keep your eyes open and place the wheels correctly. Ensure that you have a pump to inflate tyres when necessary. If you travel alone good recovery equipment, in your case a high-lift jack, may come in handy.

You do not say what tyres you have on now, but remember that all-terrain tyres have better grip as a result of the tread pattern and some also have better reinforced sidewalls to protect against possible damage.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:39 am 

I appreciate your reply. You have allayed all my fears that my vehicle would not be capable. My Toyota Raider is fitted with Dueler H/T Bridgestone tyres 255/70R 15c 112/110s. My Son in law will accompany us with his Prado 4x4. As advised i will acquire a high lift jack in the event that we get stuck in the sand.

Regards

Bobby

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A high lift jack only helps if you have attachment points on the vehicle. If you have a stock standard Raider a high lift jack will be of little use. One exception is if you use a wheel buddy to hook the wheel directly - which you must buy extra.

If you worry about the sandy bits just make sure the Prado is in front to pull you out or invest in a air lift jack - fits any vehicle and works very well.

And then there is the obvious - a spade. Many times you can free the vehicle with just a bit of clever digging.

Lacking 4wd and low range places a lot of stress on your vehicles differential and side shafts - especially when using the diff-lock in rocky areas. Take care and you should be OK. Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:11 pm 

WeskusKlong - thanks for the advice. I have been so busy working that I clean forgot about booking at Tierkloof - hope there is still place.

How was your recent trip or is that still coming up?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Boomerang,

You're welcome :-),

No we are counting the days before we leave again. This time we kick off with Kgalagadi after which we will explore the Namibian side of the RTP, ending in Sendelingsdrift via the pontoon. From there we're going home, but not before making a stop @ Eksteenfontein to say hi to dear friends.

You won't have a problem with Tierhoek. Not to many takes the time to explore that part of the RTP. So sad but true...

PS: T4A refers wrongly to the site as Tierkloof but it is TierHOEK.

Enjoy the RTP

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:42 am 

Hi Guys (and Gals),
I am new to this Forum but not new to off road travelling. As it will be my first trip to the Richtersveld (SA side as I have already done the Namibian side) during September I would appreciate advice on the following:
a) Any problems foreseen if one of our party is towing an off-road caravan (Two 4x4's going)?
b) I see from this thread that the Helskloof gate is open for exit purposes. If, for some reason it isn't open, can we get from Richtersberg Camping site to Sendelingsdrift in one day given that one of is towing a caravan?
Your advice will be appreciated.

Richard

Post subject: Re: Richtersveld advibaice
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Richard,

Very welcome to the forum!

Off-road caravans are quite common in the RTP and as you are an experienced 4x4'r you will not have any problems. The RTP is by no measure a 4x4 challenge. I would rate it a 2 and if you're towing a caravan maybe a 3 at some places.

Akkedis pass isn't a one way so you can go back to Sendelingsdrift as you came. As far as I know the RT6 - RT11 track to Richtersberg is still closed so you will have to travel quite far via the RT17 junction. You should not need more than 5 hours to complete - including plenty stops. Avoid the tracks I marked in red and you will do just fine :-):

(This map available from SAN Parks office @ Sendelingsdrift)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:58 pm 

Thank you for the warm welcome Dotty and WeskusKlong. What a wonderful Forum to belong to. I hope that I will be able to contribute positively to it.

A big "thank you" to WeskusKlong for the map and the good advice. I am looking forward to the trip and maybe will be able to provide an update on the Park in September.

Regards

Richard

Post subject: Richtersveld - Towing between De Hoop and Richtersberg
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:00 pm 

Having driven this stretch before, I know the sand is deep and soft with tyre tracks leading in all directions. It's never been really challenging though; i.e. never been stuck even when stopping to take photos. Have also completed the stretch on fully inflated tyres without difficulty. However, we have never TOWED through the sand. Obviously it will be far more difficult, so I'm looking for input from anyone who has actually towed an off-road trailer/caravan (around 1500kg) through this stretch. I'm looking for experiences rather than advice from people who have never attempted to tow through this sandy stretch. We will be traveling alone but have two pairs of Maxtrax (like sand ladders).

Post subject: Cellphone reception for Internet in Richtersveld
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:03 pm 

We run a small business and it's important for us to respond to emails daily. What is the cell phone reception like at Potjiespram, De Hoop and Richtersberg? Also in the surrounding areas i.e. Kuboes, Eksteenfontein, Brandkaros, and across the border at Namuskluft and Hobas?

Post subject: Re: Cellphone reception for Internet in Richtersveld
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:10 pm 

We were in the Richtersveld in june/july. No cell coms satelite phone only. Peace and quite no phone ringing for 6 day's. What a pleasure Are not sure about surrounding area outside the park. From Alexanderbay there was no signal when we went to the park. Enjoy the park.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 36  Next