Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 36  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We didn't stay over at Sendelings Drift, but it looked real nice (Aug 2006). They were busy with a new campsite as well, which should be finished by now. It all depends on what time you go into the park to where you will be able to go before it gets dark.
We didn't book any specific camp site (didn't know you can) but there is enough space. Sure you are going to enjoy evey bit of your stay there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re name::As far as I have it, Pokkies (changed to Potjies) is a local word for goat and Pram - milk. Given a few farmers with goats you can see in the park there should be a connection.

Post subject: Overcrowded De Hoop
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:17 am 

We will be visiting De Hoop in the Richtersveld in April 2007. I was told by friends that De hoop was very overcrowded the last time they visited. There was now control on numbers and campsites were taken over on a free for all basis. People camped there without proper bookings being made and generally quite chaotic.

Is this still the case ? No control ? Are there any Parks officials attending to this problem ?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:11 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Sadly it was the case on the April/May 2006 long weekend when we camped at PP. We went on a day trip to DH. The main problem was the overuse of the ablution facilities which could not cope. There seems not to be demarcated campsites and people were camping next to the river's edge.

I suggest you contact the camp manager, whose email address is under the section 'contact us' and see what the current status is.

Post subject: Recent info needed on Richtersveld
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:15 am 

I would like to visit the Richtersveld NP soon and am looking for recent information that I can't find on the parks' site.
1. Are they ever going to open the Namibia/SA border post at Sendelingsdrift? If so, when?
2. Is the Hellskloof road (between Vioolsdrif and Eksteenfontein) open at the moment? Is so, what is the condition of the road?
3. If the answer to question 2 is "yes", can anybody give me driving indications to get from Vioolsdrif to Sendelingsdrift?
4. Are there any reasonably accurate maps of the park and surrounding area available? (the map at the park's site does not even show all the camps!)
5. In what condition are the roads inside the park at the moment?
6. Has it rained lately? Is it cold at night?
Many questions. Hope somebody who has been there recently will be so kind to answer (some of) them.
Thanks a lot.
Wim

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Howzit Wim,

1. Not in my lifetime
4. Fraid Knot We were given a poor photostat. Here is an opportunity for the map book publishers of Kruger to do something. Although it is a smaller park, with slower throughput of guests, there are excellent map books of KTP and Addo. Opportunity here!
5. The roads are sandy, except for mountain passes where they are rocky. I would not go without 4wd, except to SD & Potjiespram.
6(a). This makes it more interesting.
6(b). The wind blows making it a bit chilly, Capetonians will say it is 'freezing', but 20 degrees higher to them is 'boiling'.

You can swim in the river, even in May!

Enjoy it, I did.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:31 pm 

Thanks, both of you, for your useful replies.
I will be travelling in a 4x4.
I agree that a bit of rain makes things more interesting, but I was in the area in I think it was October 2005 after some serious rainfall and then the Helskloof pass was closed to all traffic and people advised me against going to the Richtersveld as most roads would be impassable, even with a 4x4. That's why I ask.
So, any other advise especially on questions 2, 3 and 4?

Post subject: Re: Recent info needed on Richtersveld
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wim,
1 Maybe Sept 2007
2,3 This is a "public" road over the Helskloof pass and very corrugated last time I was there - just follow the road over Kotzeshoop from Vioolsdrift and carry on to Eksteensfontein. Do not confuse this road with the one into RNP at the RNP Helskloof gate. (both called Helskloof) This road was closed for some time after 2006 rains.
4 Visit any camping outfit - most stock the Infomaps at
5 The roads are farm road types. De Hoop to Richtersberg is a 4x4 track.
Send me a pm as I have waypoints and electronic maps.

Sakkie

advertising edited by gwen

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:38 am 

Thanks very much, Sakkie.
The Helskloof road I was talking about is the "public" one.
That one was impassible, even in a 4x4, in October 2005.
So where exactly is the other one???

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:37 am 

Following my post on the 29th of March, I sent an e-mail to Andy Davies, the park manager at the Richtersveld. This was his response:

Quote:
It would have been helpful if your friends had provided dates and there reservation numbers as this would have allowed a more measured response.

1) There is control and campers are checked periodically. De Hoop has to be visited by staff on a regular basis for water to be pumped and they check on the numbers of people camped there. If excess visitors are on the site it is because they have booked at one of the other camps and decided to go to DeHoop without consulting reservation staff. Currently a temporary employee is camped at DeHoop to ensure continuity of the water supply and check on visitor permits but this arrangement only holds for peak periods.

2) The campsites are not demarcated and visitors may choose any one of a number of sites along the river in the vicinity of the ablution blocks.

3) There are twelve campsites allocated to DeHoop and this allows for 24 vehicles.

4) We do allow for events such as the Radio Sonder Grense tours and on condition of these groups booking out all the sites along the river at DeHoop, Richtersburg and Potjiespram we allow them exceed the allocated carrying capacity.

5) Currently due to the problems with facilities at Kokerboomkloof we are requesting people booked in there to utilize facilities along the river.

The Richtersveld is particularly busy in April and August and if you find crowds offensive I would strongly advise you not to visit during these months. If you do I would suggest that you book at Potjiespram or Richtersberg as these sites are not so busy.

Regards

Andy Davies

Park Manager

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
I have camped at Potjiespram and found it to be very pleasant.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:33 pm 

Sakkie's message of April 5th had a link removed, presumably because it was considered publicity. The map he was referring to is called "Richtersveld National Park and Northern Namaqaland" is on scale 1:250 000 and seems to be very useful! It is made by InfoMap. As it seems to be the only map available of this area, I can hardly see why this would be considered publicity.
Regards
Wim

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:21 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

The link that was removed did not point to infomap.co.za.

Post subject: Richtersveld "Road to Hell"
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:06 am 

Hi There,
I heard that there is a 4x4 route in the Richtersveld that is called "road to hell" because of its difficulty. Has anybody ever done this route and can you maybe help me with GPS waypoints, tracks etc. ...
Thanx
Banna

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I was there this time last year and the road was closed due to heavy rain and road being badly washed away.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 36  Next