It is very sad for me to hear about Charlize's death!!
We had some wonderful sightings of her and her 4 cubs during our trip in June 2010. That was one heck of a "cheetah" trip! Over 12 days we saw 12 different cheetahs over a total of 7 sightings.
I still need to do a trip report on that trip...once my current trip report finishes and my friggin' computer comes back from the "doctor" where it's been for more than 2 months
Here are some pics I posted on Outdoorphoto of the cheetahs (not sure if these will pass the size limit - sorry if they do, I'm sure you will enjoy them!):
1. A lone male walking up to us at Samevloeiing, we were alone first thing in the morning.
2. Charlize and her 4 cubs choking a freshly chased springbok fawn IN THE ROAD about 2km before reaching Leeuwdril from TR! We'd missed the chase by seconds
3. They then proceeded to devour it RIGHT NEXT to our vehicle:
I've got many more graphic scenes of this but won't post them here for the sake of civility
4. One of Charlize's cubs with a face full of blood:
5. Two of Charlize's cubs quibble over the spoils:
6. Another lone male, this time very close to TR after sunset, checking out a steenbok against the dunes:
7. We saw a coalition of 3 young males attempting a hunt (very far) close to the Tented Camp one afternoon.
8. Elena and Garfunkle sharing a tender moment between Sitzas and Dalkeith...all 3 were next to the road with Simon lying on top of the calcrete ridge:
9. Eventually Simon got up and crossed the ridge to get to Elena...and I was ready for him!
10. We saw Charlize and her kids again drinking at midday at Samevloeiing - haven't processed the images yet!
Like I said, should be able to work through more of the images once I get my TR of this trip going.
Charlize - you will be missed and you are a LEGEN...wait for it...DARY cheetah for raising 4 cubs to adulthood amidst lions, leopards, drought, famine, heat, dust-storms and flash floods.