Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kuruman to Ashkam
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:31 pm 

We had great lion sightings around Nossob. The tall grass is a factor, but nevertheless we saw many. A pride was close to camp on Friday night and the male came to the water at around 4 am. Saturday. My nephew went to the hide and enjoyed the sight and the roar!! From MM to TR many cheetah yesterday. I recall 9 for sure. Also lion. Keeping in mind our short visit, the Park lived up to its reputaton for fantastic sightings. Even 2 warthog close to Union's End!! I did not see enough sand!!!! You will see what I mean when you get there.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Bossie,

On a slightly different topic (although I do not know where you are from...) how is the condition of the N14 from Kuruman back to Pretoria / Jhb?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:53 am 

I am up in the Limpopo. A friend drove the N14 a few weeks ago. Since I drive down from the north, he suggested to avoid it at all cost and for me rather to use the N4 toll via Rustenburg, Zeerust, Mafikeng, Vryburg road. This route was really good. The only stop and go's were between Vryburg and Kuruman. Add about 30 minutes for that. For the rest, no problem.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:03 am 
Guru
Guru

@Bossie,

Thanks so much for the valuable information regarding the road via Van Zyl's Rus.

Regarding the N14... we drove the road towards Pretoria to Kruger and the road is in great condition, as you have mentioned there are a few stop and goes but other than that it was a dream driving the N14.

KG

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

What do you think about doing this route in a T4 caravelle.
I will be going to KTP on Thursday, and have never used this route, as I always go via upington.

How many Kilos/Hours does this save, and is it all dirt road after Kuruman ?

Also, I am sure this route is also more scenic and fun than the upington route.

Is the correct route the R31 to Hotazel, then Van Zylsrus, Then connecting with theR360 near Ashkam/Bokspits ?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bucky,

I prefer this road to via Upington. It is tarred to Hotazhel and to +- 30 km from Van Zylsrus. Dirt road from there to Ashkam. Yes you then join the R360 as mentioned. Depending on the speed you travel (Bossie mentioned 90 - 100) you might save some time. For me it is the scenery and the "kalahari feeling" that you experience! I have, although probably 15 years ago, travelled it in a sedan. The question is the condition of your tyres and the speed you want to travel. When I used this road last year I noticed it was mostly local farmers in bakkies, quite a few sedan motors and then the beautiful donkey carts.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:22 am 

If my distances are more or less correct, it is about 520 km to Twee Rivieren via Upington from Kuruman. Via Vanzylsrus (on the route as you correctly stated) it is about 390km.
The road from Kuruman to Vanzylsrus is tarred up to about 30 km from Vanzyls. That leaves you with almost 200 km gravel, but good gravel and different scenery.
Considering the more scenic route and the lovely little hotel at Vanzyls to stop for stretching the legs, I will travel this route every time, until it maybe become so bad again in future.
Right now your T4 will have no problem. I am sure you will maintain at least 80km/h, closer to 100 all the way to Askham. Deflate the tyres at Vanzyls to about 1.8 bar (not sure what tyres on a T4)
Be prepared, the Kalahari looks fantastic this year!!! Enjoy and safe travels.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:34 pm 

What I have seen in the rooms (we did not stay there, but they showed us the entire hotel - friendly people up there) and what I have experienced with the 2 meals we had, I don't think you can go wrong staying there. They also have a family unit that sleeps 4 if I recall correctly. Very clean and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Kuruman was pushing it for me and we only arrived there at 20h30. Next time I will plan better and stay in Vanzylsrus at the hotel. Bucky, is there a way I can send you a few pictures of the hotel? I am not familiar with this forum. YET!!
You will enjoy that road. Let us know when you return.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have stayed there in Aug 2010 - very nice rooms, good food and friendly hosts

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I checked it out on the net, and it looks good, also you guys are giving it the thumbsup so I reckon ill give it a go, unless the area has rain on Thursday, then ill stick to the tar.
Bossie, no kids this time, just myself and the wife

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:53 am 

Hi All

We are going to the Kgalagadi on 21/4....cant wait.

I am getting very confused with which road to travel. It will be easier for us to travel the N14 as opposed to the N4 but there seems to be conflicting opinions on which road is better. From Kuruman it appears that it is worth giving the Van Zyls Rus road a try I w.ill be driving a Ford Territory (all wheel drive),towing a normal Venter trailer. Will we be okay on the gravel road?

Please, if anybody is traveling the above routes can you let me know which would be suitable for us

Thanks very much

Lesley

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:40 am 
Guru
Guru

@lesley,

The N14 road to the park via Upington I would suggest is the safest as it is tar road from Upington right to Twee Rivieren Gate. The reason why the Van Zyls Rus road has been mentioned is that it is shorter but if it would be worth the while traveling it with a venter trailer.......I dont know. Since the road is a gravel road it would be hard to say what the conditions will be when you drive to the park. Please do note that there plenty rain on its way which might change the conditions of the road surface.

Hope this helps

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I posted a reply in another thread, so il just paste it here, its a bit more in depth than my previous post.

I tried the VanZylsrus route this time, after Kuruman, and it was pretty enjoyable.
The gravel section to Ashkam is pretty ok, with a 90 speed limit most of the way, I went at around 80-85 in my caravelle comfortably.
There are a few bad sections, so when you start hitting corrugations or bumps, then slow down for a few kilos, once it clears, it is good for a while again, the bad bits seem to come in 2-3km sections.
The route for the most part though is pretty good, and the scenery is lovely with some small wildlife sightings added in.
The hotel in Vanzylsrus is going onto my list as a prefered stop over to the park, it so got us into the swing of things for the trip with our evening there.

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi Information Page
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

KG as you recall we will come and vissit your part of the world for the first time during September from 16 to 21. What is the best road from van Zyl'srus as we will be sleeping over just outside van Zylsrus on the 15. Found some info about a nice tar road on the bots side of the border. Don't know how the road is on SA side.
Can you please give me a bit of info i know you must have answered this q 1000 times, sorry.

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi Information Page
Unread postPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:28 am 
Guru
Guru

@Louis Dreyer,

No worries about the question.

Regarding the tar road on the Bots side, I haven’t been on it and I don’t think it is well known as I haven’t heard of many people who have used the mentioned road although the few people I have spoken to said it is a very nice road to travel on as long as it is during daytime due to plenty domestic animals crossing the road.
Personally I would not use the VanZyls rus road as I have seen too many vehicles at our technical department which have used that road and the trailers and vehicles will never be the same.

Hope it helps

Jannie