Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi: Getting there via Vanzylsrus
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:56 am 

Regarding the road to TR via van zyls rus, i would rather go the longer route via Upington. The road is terribly corrugated and i had a breakdown on that road . rather take the longer route as it will save you the trouble should you break down . I had an 7 hour wait alongside the road waiting for a tow truck from Upington .

Altough scenic in my opinion it is not worth it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:22 pm 

I also enjoy that road.
Well the last time I drove it was in 2007 but got "lost" because the road just outside Hotazel that I remember I drove the previous times were closed. So I took another road just before Hotazel in the same direction. We ended up driving an extra few km's of opening and closing gates and roads that become smaller and smaller as we go and then after about an hour and a half we rejoined the correct road at Sonstraal. Haha. But it was all worth it. This was all before I got a gps.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

LaeveldLeeu - we did that route in both directions in June/July this year. From the Kuruman end it is well-signposted now - you pass the original road to the left and a few kms further on there is a turning to the left to van Zyls Rus. We were a bit worried about the state of the road but it was not too bad. Well worth staying over at van Zyls Rus.

Marakele (Motswere Guest Cottage) 29 Mar -1 Apr 2015

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Hippotragus,

Did you not take the Botswana road? We chicken out and travel along the gravel road. I must agree the road is not that bad, but for more tiring than the longer tar road section via UPT.

We used a GPS between Kuruman and Van Zylsrus and a few times ignored her directions due to the few changes on the road. I just followed the sign boards instead. There is a small stretch with roadworks outside Kuruman and due to the loose stones we got a huge chip on the windscreen from an on-coming construction truck.

The one lane of the road between Kuruman to Kathu is being resurface therefore about 4 stop-and-goes on this 50 km stretch. Even taking that delay into account we only took 30 minutes longer along the tar road via UPT traveling speed ~ 100 - 110 km/h. If you are towing a large caravan / trailer I would rather recommend to stick to the UPT road.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Son godin - no, we didn't go via Botswana. We had already decided to go the usual route and then I discovered that my husband's passport was out of date and that settled it!! Stay at van Zylsrus in both directions was great and the road was much better than we had experienced previously.

Marakele (Motswere Guest Cottage) 29 Mar -1 Apr 2015

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:25 pm 

We used the Botswana Road in July this year and what a pleasure! Took about 10-15 minutes to get through the border post. Then there is a short stretch through a built-up area and then it is this nice quite wide tar road. I think you go through 1 more village at some stage. We then exited Botswana and stuck to the tar the last bit to TR. I belief you can also do the last bit on the Botswana side, but that is gravel. I will try that next time.

On the way back we had problems with the caravan a left TR too late to get the border post open so we went via the gravel road. The condition was much better than 2 year back. When I go next year it will definitely be the Botswana tar road again.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:20 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
etienne1 wrote:
Regarding the road to TR via van zyls rus, i would rather go the longer route via Upington. The road is terribly corrugated and i had a breakdown on that road . rather take the longer route as it will save you the trouble should you break down . I had an 7 hour wait alongside the road waiting for a tow truck from Upington .

Altough scenic in my opinion it is not worth it.

I agree with Etienne, not sure that road will see us again. :twisted:
Our little trailer, filled to the brim with books for the library project, got badly damaged. Fortunately Jannie let us leave it at TR for the duration of our stay while the technical guys did emergency repairs so we could get her back home and she made it. Brave little homebuilt! :lol:

If anyone want to use this road I suggest you first give the Vanzylsrus SAPS a call, they patrol it daily and can best advise about the condition.

The Bots road sounds 8) ! We might try that next time!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:44 am 

Will be travelling that road in a few days time and will give an update. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Any update on this road from recent travellers? I usually go this way as you are in the bos sooner

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

No comments or feedback?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:23 am 

Hi, I will go next week and wondered if anyone has been on the gravel road lately and can report on the condition. I believe there has been quite a bit of rain over easter which might have deteriorated the condition of the road?
thanks,
James

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

James,

I travelled this way just before the rain towing a Bushlapa off road caravan. Few bad patches but not too bad. Biggest problem is all the stop and goes and some idiots that just pass the waiting cars and when they meet traffic from opposite direction, just move over a bit and then speed on! $@&#%€ idiots

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Can someone point me to more info about the route through Botswana?

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:05 am 

Josh we went via Botswana in April and can highly recommend that route. The Border control officials at Middelputs and Rooiputs were courteous and efficient and the road superb. We spent the night at The Van Zylsrus Hotel both going to and returning from the park and it was on their recommendation that we used the Botswana route.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:43 am 

Hello,

I was planning to go through Botswana (tar road between Middlepits & Bokspits) as well but I realised that there are currently some restrictions at the border posts: Botswana has restrictions for fruit and veg through their borders, and when you cross back on the SA side you should not have any firewood with you. So you might want to take this into consideration before making any final decisions.