Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: CARAVANING TO KGALAGADI
Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:13 pm 

I am a keen caravaner (non-offroad) and have avoided visiting the popular Kgalagadi only because of the poor condition of the access road up to the Park at Twee Rivieren.
Can someone please advise what the latest status is of this road between Upington and Twee Rivieren camp - is it fully tarred all the way ?
I am aware of various trip reports indicating the poor condition of the roads in KTP and therefore will rather not consider travelling with a standard caravan to the other camps. Would other (standard) caravaners agree with this approach ? Doing game drives in the Park should not be a problem as I do have a 4X4 SUV.
I have taken note of the advice given of the two possible routes from Cape Town to Twee Rivieren, however, is there a caravan traveller that can recommend the best route with stop overs on the way there ?

Len

Post subject: Re: CARAVANING TO KGALAGADI
Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Len, the road is fully tarred to Twee Rivieren.

I have seen caravans in both Nossob and Twee Rivieren - it can be done, but you have to take it extremely slowly and it must be tough on the van.

Cannot help you with best route and stop-overs, I am sure somebody will advise you.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Not a caravanner, Len, but the road from Upington to TR is tarred all the way to the gate (almost -- save for about 100 m)
Am sure someone will have an answer about stop-overs.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:44 am 

Hi Len
Would agree with you - TR and no further. My parents went with a "Bakkie-mate" years ago and lost their fridge door not to mention cupboard doors! Everything out the cupboards and fridge on the floor!! I have since taken an interest in watching caravans in the park The off-road ones seem to do well but the "normal" ones ..... Owners, caravans and their contents don't do so well. One caravaner was telling us that he had an oil leak that they could not explain until they opened the door -cooking oil!!
What about taking a small tent with you and spend a night or two at the other camps (it would cost more for two camp-sites) each camp is special in its own way.
Have a great time.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Don't know caravan stop overs, but it depends how long you want to take to get there & back. The road via Calvilia is good, and takes 100 km off the N7 route via Springbok. The only obstacle is Van Rhyn's pass, which is quite steep and winding.
There is a rudinentary caravan park at Garies, and I suspect there are ones at Springbok, Upington and Calvinia, and places like Keimoes and Kenhardt might also have them.
Back to KTP. I would park it at 2R and do day trips to Mata Mata and Nossob.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:22 pm 

Thank you very much to those that have responded.
I can now plan my long awaited first caravan camping visit to Twee Rivieren camp in Kgalagadi.

Len

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Good idea en. Some years ago my brother towed a caravan to KTP (before the road was tarred from the Molopo). He left the remains of the van in Upington and went home without it.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:11 pm 

Although not a caravanner we do tow a trailer/camper. The place that we found good to stop at is Augrabies - which is a comfortable 800 km using the Springbok/Pofadder road (it's about 10km's longer if you use the Calvinia road). The camping is very good and the Falls a must, particularly witht he new walkways.

We actually stayed two nights and went into the park for the day. This has great birding, lovely scenery and a fantastic new picnic spot at the end of the road.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:56 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I never thought of that. Of course, Augrabies

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:59 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Len Loader and welcome to the forum.
We have taken our camper trailer to TR and used it for a couple of days. We then moved on to Nossob and a chalet for the next few days. We left the camper trailer at TR where it was looked after... no problem. This June we are biting the bullet and taking it with us to Nossob....but then it is a camper trailer not a caravan. We know of a very nice farm close to Calvinia that one cold stay over at..if interested pls pm me for details. I also know of a lovely campsite near Keimoes
I think Augrabies is an excellent choice as a stopover though..
enjoy your planning !!!

:) :) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Len Loader
I'm sure you have all the answers already, but I reply just to let you know what we experienced 10 years ago !!
Some of us know what the condition of the Molopo to TR road was like then, either from experience and or from what they have read on this forum.
Well, ours was a first time experience and our first ever visit to KTP
When I say that every single screw in the caravan unscrewed... I mean it!! We had reduced tyre pressures and stopped every 10 km's to keep checking to try and prevent further damage. Oh...you do learn by mistakes. We also had a bottle of oil that emptied itself over my duvet and pillow, a bottle of beetroot over the floor, long life milk cartons managed to wear thin from all the abrasions and make a mixture with the oil on my bed : The fridge gas pipes broke and and... and.......
Oh yes.....you DO learn by mistakes. We have been back, think it is nine times since then and have thoroughly enjoyed staying in the chalets
In those days, the park was not as popular as it is now and even though it was school holidays, we were permitted to leave our caravan on site at TR while we stayed in chalets in Nossob and Mata Mata.
I must say, now that the road is tarred, I am quite tempted to take the caravan and stop off at leisure on route to KTP, however only to caravan at TR and do the chalet thing in the other camps!!
Go along and enjoy your time in your caravan, but..... TR only!!!

@ billyf
We know exactly how your brother must have felt!!

Unread postPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:41 pm 

We have been there end of April for 6 days with a motorhome. We went all the way to Mata Mata also drove both dune roads. No problems apart from a lot of dust. We went slow with the tyres deflated.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:04 pm 

Thank you also to those whom posted further responses to my enquiry.

Over the years I have been aware of many standard caravans destroid on the gravel road on their way to KTP and that is the only reason why I never visited this park. Now that the road is tarred up to Twee Rivieren, my dream has come true and I shall be checking in soon !

I am a "softy" when it comes to caravaning and therefore will only caravan-camp at Twee Rivieren and explore the Park from there.

I shall convey the information gathered at this forum to my friends on a caravan-forum I am also part of (only after I have secured my own booking first !)

Len

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:19 pm 

Hi all

I have read a lot of reports about this subject.
We are going to Nossob, Polentswa and rooiputs over christmas and new year....and....wait for it....I am going in my suv and a normal small caravan.

I have done some minor modifications, such as dust proofing, fitting stronger hinges etc.
Time is not a problem so I beleive as long as I take it really easy, I can access all of the above.
Has anybody else done this ?

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:39 pm 

Hi bushman B and welcome to the forum

Okay so I am an angel: giving advice in a musketeers domain. : We have not camped at either Polentswa or Rooiputs but we have visited the camps in a 4 x 4. The camps may not be that far from the "main road" but one does need a 4 x 4 to get to them ..especially Polentswa..sandy roads !!!! I really don't think dust proofing or stronger hinges is what is required here.....I think you need to be able to negotiate "insignificant"
sand tracks . But having have said that your dust proofing and stronger hinges will surely come in handy along the Nossob and Auob riverbeds ( main roads)..the roads can be quite corrugated at times !

:) :) :) :) :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next