SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
 Post subject: Re: Could somebody explain to me
Unread postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:07 am 
Guru
Guru

ice wrote:
the ridiculous "no more than 2 people in a wilderness camp tent" rule? shouldn't it be left to us, the tourists, to decide whether we feel comfortable to share a tent with a third person (most likely a child)? what's the point in forcing a party of 3 or 5 to book another tent they will most likely not need?

Good day all

This rule is in place to protect the serenity/ exclusiveness of the wilderness camp experience as the product was designed to offer just that, serenity/ exclusiveness.

Within the KTP there are alternate accommodation options: Wilderness camps: i.e. Kalahari tented camp where additional pax and children are allowed. Also Mata Mata , Nossob and Twee Rivieren are alternatives. Most of the patrons to wilderness camps do go for the quietness, seclusion and tranquillity to get away from people so we don’t add people to the product as it caters for a specific market.

Another aspect is the design and functionality. The units are designed for only 2 pax per unit, inventory, supplies and space restrictions (The floor space of the units does not allow for more than 2 beds, inventory provisioning and water availability that has to be managed). Finally the rule is in place for general control and safety.

Should you have any other queries regarding this please don't hesitate to post them.

Gabrielle “Gabby” Venter
SANParks Manager: Media and Stakeholder Relations
Acting Regional Communications Manager: Arid Region

Unread postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Gabby

Unread postPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
it is also the reason I search these wilderness camp...
but :hmz: why would you like to build extra Riverside cabin/dune cabin/desert cabin in these small camps ?

Post subject: Re: First time Kgalagadi, Which wildernesscamp?
Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:03 pm 

My personal favorite was Gharagab,for which you need a real 4WD followed by Grootkolk
But for only 6 days in the park not sure I would recommend Grootkolk
I would certainly pick KTC over Mata Mata.

The thing about the car is that you don't need a true 4x4 for the main roads
That being said, the roads are sandy and rutted and being in a sedan would make for some uncomfortable driving

2/25-27 Kieliekrankie
2/27-28 Grootkolk
3/1 Nossob
3/2 Twee Riveren
3/4 Mopani
3/5-7 Letaba
3/7-9 Lower Sabie
3/9-12 Biyamiti
3/13 Berg en Dal

Unread postPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello Mites

Jonkers thank you for your words of wisdom. We are trying to get a general impression of people who have had firsthand experiences of the does and don’ts of the KTP. We always enter the parks open minded and consider every sighting as a bonus. You also mentioned that Nossob is worth doing a bush walk which is an interesting thought as we wanted to do a few walks in Kruger, might be worth spreading them out over the 2 parks? Agree 100% with you on the Columbus theory :thumbs_up: .

Hi Judik, thank you for your reply. Reading the general replies we have decided to spend 10 nights in the KTP and hire a 4x4 so that we can roam through the entire park without hitting any obstacles. Would give us a better impression of the vastness of the park. Thanks for sharing your personal favorites.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:55 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
:yaya: t-bal.... Lucky you :mrgreen: :dance: but the winter in Europe too

Jully/August will be very, very cold at night :wink:

like already said... my prefered are Grootkolk and Urikaruus :thumbs_up:
we never can't know in advance what will happen or not... but so much atmosphere :dance:

try to spend alternatively once in a big camp with electricity, and once in a small without electricity :wink:
and definitively 6 days is not enough, try a little bit more, like you said 10 days... is a minimum :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello Anne-Marie and thank you for your reply.

Grootkolk and Urikaruus seem to be in favor :hmz: . I know it is not a zoo but the thought of something happening on your doorstep I think is rather exciting.

The electricity tip is a good one, thanks for that :D . Do none of the wilderness camps have electricity or is there an exception? We thought as an alternative to charge the camera batteries in the car, or is this inadvisable in the cold nights and the hot days of the Kgalagadi?

Thanks again for the reply

Unread postPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:26 pm 

2R only electricity 24 hour, MM and Nossob early morning - 21h30? for charging your batteries
wilderness camps, solar power lights and gas for cooking and cooling, so no charging
batteries charger in car works fine, even a solar one, just make sure your recharge batteries are new and not like me and took the old used ones last trip. There I was in the middle of KTP surrounded by 4 young male cheetas and the wrong batteries

I think I never met someone who could not appreciate the wilderness, desolation of Grootkolk and being in that camp a trip to Unions End is 'a do ' Being in Grootkolk and if you do hire a 4x4 you could go to Gharagab and back to Nossob (electricity!!!!!! )

Unread postPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I always carry (and often use) a car charger when in KTP, the kind that works on the cigarette lighter, so you're charging your (extra) batteries whilst driving. And while many prefer a higher vehicle, a true 4WD is only needed if you are going to Bitterpan or Gharagab. I have always visited in a sedan, firstly because IMO a 4x4 is prohibitively expensive for a solo traveller (I'd rather spend those funds on extra nights in the park), and second, I prefer to be more on eye level with the animals rather than looking down on them. Yes, some of the verges are a bit high, but I've never felt that I've been missing anything by being in a sedan.

Have a great trip!

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello mites

Jonkers thanks for the info about the electricity. We will defiantly make sure we bring the right batteries. I could never forgive myself if that had happened to me.

Hi arks, thanks for your reply. I was wondering if you are allowed to drive the roads of Gharagab and Bitterpan if you don’t spend the night there or is it like Biyamiti , Shimuwini or Sirheni in Kruger where you can only take these roads if you are overnighting there? If that’s the case a 4x4 is not a must and could defiantly save us some money by hiring a 2x4.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:02 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
t-bal wrote:
I was wondering if you are allowed to drive the roads of Gharagab and Bitterpan if you don’t spend the night there or is it like Biyamiti , Shimuwini or Sirheni in Kruger where you can only take these roads if you are overnighting there? If that’s the case a 4x4 is not a must and could defiantly save us some money by hiring a 2x4.

t-bal, you may only drive those roads, if you are an overnight visitor in those camps.

Enjoy your stay.... :thumbs_up:

Last edited by lion queen on Tue May 21, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for clearing that one up lion queen. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:40 pm 

All our electrics , cameras, torches etc have AA batteries and we carry a battery car charger. Works fine.
We have been to nearly all wilderness camps and think Kkrankie is great allowing unrivalled early morning access to both riverbeds. Also beautifully looked after and so private. Agree also that KTC is excellent and underestimated compared to many.

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi: wilderness camps - General
Unread postPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:28 pm 

Location: England, previously Rietvlei, Natal - hankering to be back in KTP
We recently visited KTP for the umpteenth time and, as always, made sure we spent time at the wilderness camps. For the first time we went to Gharagab and were thrilled by the peace and serenity of our surroundings, even though sightings were not marvellous - just to sit and absorb the real magnitude of the KTP was enough. Will never forget that feeling of humility you get, being just a speck in a beautiful world! On to Bitterpan, usually our favourite, but marred this time by other loud patrons. Please don't let anyone spoil these camps by making them bigger. That is not the idea of Wilderness Camps! If you want Big, try TR!! And sightings are the luck of the draw anyway, so children stand just as good a chance of seeing animals wherever they stay.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27