Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: gate times
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:27 pm 

Hello everybody,

I’ve got a question concerning gate times at the unfenced camps.

Seeing that the camps are unfenced I presume they don't have a gate either … does this mean that one can come and go as you please or do the gate times of the camps that have gates stay applicable?

So far we’ve worked out the following schedule for our july 09 trip :

Urikaruus - 3 nights
Nossob - 2 nights
Grootkolk - 3 nights
Nossob - 2 nights
Kiliekrankie - 3 nights
Twee Rivieren - 2 nights

Also, is there enough to see / do at the unfenced camps to warrant 3 nights stays there or would anyone recommend staying longer at the main camps ?

Thank you.
Tom

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The usual gate times apply at the Wilderness camps and at unfenced campsites, TomV.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:16 pm 

thank you Batsman, I think we're now fully sorted out to start booking before there's no more availability.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:50 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

That's a super KTP itinerary, TomV One excellent piece of advice I received when planning my September 2007 KTP trip was to allow a whole day to spend staying just IN camp at the wilderness camps. This is relaxing, excellent for birding, and there's often a quite steady stream of visitors to the camp waterhole. So I'd also advise that you plan on spending some "quality time" in each of the wilderness camps. Have a great trip!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:38 pm 

Just made the booking today, 15 nights in total of which 9 in the wilderness camps, really looking forward to it

We did indeed take into account staying at the wilderness camps a bit longer so we can have some more quiet, quality time to soak in the Kalahari and relax a bit while watching hopefully some good traffic at the waterholes.

We've got some friends joining us in Grootkolk too who'll now stay their first night in TR rather then push all the way north and try and make gate time at Grootkolk.

Now with next years vacation sorted out I hope my pictures from this year arrive soon, only posted last week from SA but can hardly wait to relive all the excitement

Thank you all for the answers on my questions, happy travelling

Post subject: Unfenced Camps
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:08 am 

Morning everyone,
We did a trip last year to Mabua and to Moremi, travelling with three small children. We found that if we parked the vehicles correctly, and roped off the rest of the camp it was a deterant for the larger animals to cross (I am not sure for what reason). We ran the ropes about knee height. This also was an understanding for the children that they were not allowed to cross the ropes. We had a great time with no hassles. The hyenas came very close to the ropes, but I think that they were just checking out what this was all about. If you take the necessary precautions, make sure that the children understand that they are no longer in their back yard, and are alert, you should have no problems.

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi unfenced camps
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It is very difficult planning a trip to KTP when the web site is not clear regarding the accommodation and the rules and regulations. Our initial itinerary was :

First night TR
2 nights at Nossob
2 nights at Grootkolk
3 nights at Nossob
3 nights at KTC
3 nights at Urikuruus
Last night TR

Having read somewhere that no extra person was allowed in Wilderness camps in the 2 sleeper units at the Wilderness camps we decided to phone KTP and ask what the situation was. We were initially told that we would have to book a separate cottage for the extra person (a two year old child!!!!!!!!!!) and were then told that in fact children were not allowed at ANY of the wilderness camps. Does anybody have any experience of having gone to KTC with a child and staying at any of the camps other than the main ones? I would be very interested to find out as this ruling would then have a major effect on our proposed trip which I am attempting to book at the moment!

Hopefully somebody out there will be able to give some clarification!
Thanks
Yours in Parking - Penny

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi unfenced camps
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:12 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Penny
I am not too sure regarding the ruling of having a 2 year old child staying in the unfenced camps but I have been to the unfenced camps and what many people do not realise is that the accommodation at both Urikaruus and Grootkolk is actually quite small. There is not really much room for a third bed so even if your 2 year old is allowed to bunk in with you it would be quite a squash. Grootkolk has a really nice communal area where at least a two year can move around a bit but Urikaruus has not . KTC on the other hand is more suitable and they do have family tents. There is also a swimming pool but safely tucked away from the chalets.
In my honest opinion I think I would be driven to distraction with a 2 year old in both Grootkolk and Urikaruus...just my 2c worth !

:) :) :) :) :)

Post subject: Lions and wilderness camps
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:55 pm 

We will be visiting KTP in April 2009- doing the wilderness trail starting at Polentswa. As we have done severel of these, including the Mabuasehube trail 3 years ago, we have been very relaxed about everything, since we know the ropes! Now we are reading about lions being a problem, and as one magazine put it " a time bomb waiting to explode" . What do you know about the problem, and do you recomend any special precautions?

Post subject: Re: Lions and wilderness camps
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lions or wild animals are not the problem. It is people luring them into the camping area, some even leaving food outside. This then creates problem animals who will become opportunistic.

Pack away all food in the car (not the tent) at night or when you go on a game drive.

Most wild animals can be scared off with noise when they approach, or make sure that you can retreat to the safety of your car. Rather not allow the animals to near for that "look how brave I am photo".

In Moremi and Savuti further north I know of some animals that had to be shot when they became 'problem' animals. Unfortunately you can always trace it back to people who allowed them into the camp area for that "photo of a lifetime". Just remember that you may be the reason why this animal had to be culled.

Last edited by Dotty on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
broken link deleted

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I think those 2 guys are not brave, but stupid. Think of what will happen to that ellie if he did do some damage? He would have been killed.

Some people really dont know the diffence between enjoying nature while conserving, and putting their lives (and the animals) in danger.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Very stupid indeed. Imagine what would had happened if the ellie would harmed them. It would be hunted as a killer ellie.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:06 pm 

Hi Hannalise

Just remember there is a difference between bravery and stupidity. These guys with the ellie fall into the stupid category.We have been there before with lions at the camp with no problems.

Stick to the rules of the bush and you will be fine , also be vigilant.

Remember the are no problem animals only problem people

Enjoy the trip.

Bigal

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The reason I posted the story was not only to show stupidity, but actually to reflect on the author's next remarks. Calling others scared, proud to be called the elephant people and then waiting for part two to happen.

Two nights later they sat in their chairs waiting for the ellie to return, deciding NOT to get into their cars, cameras ready. When a neighbour chased the ellie away by cracking a whip she was furious. Now that I call dumb.

I have been to the wilderness camps in Kgalagadi (Botswana side), Moremi, Savuti and have chased hyenas out. We had young children in the group and we were not going to gamble with their lives.

Take care and enjoy - I am sure that you will enjoy the trail. Last time we were there lions did come close to the camps, but not near enough to be a nuisance or danger to us.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have to admit that I felt a bit jittery to have my braai at Grootkolk with just a 1.3 metre wall between me and the big cats on the other side - and I could not see them in the dark, but thyey could surely see me. The first morning, while packing our picnic basket for the day, my wife called me - and there they were, three female lions ans a cub at the waterhole in front of the camp. We were staying in No 1. The second night the same lions played right behind No 2.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27  Next