Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 717 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: March 2009: First visit to KTP: Questions
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:20 pm 

Location: Vryheid, KZN, SA - too far from the Kruger, further from KTP!
Hi Bontebok.
I was just reading your post. When are you going to be there? (possibly there already?!) We are planning a similar trip for 2010. Let us know more about your trip please. We visited KTP for the first time end Feb 2008 for 12 days and we loved every single fantastic amazing minute we spent there. We traveled +-1400km to get there. One of the stopovers was Sun River Lodge in Upington - what a treat. We camped at Nossob and Mata Mata, booking chalets first and last nights at 2R. We loved Nossob the most, met lots of interesting people and could have stayed longer. The staff are very helpful with changing bookings once you are at the camp. Next year we would like to stay at Grootkolk and Urikaruus for a few nights but still want to camp at Nossob for at least 1 week. (Camping is our favourite kind of holiday!) I can't wait for bookings to open so that I book & finalise our 2010 trip.
Enjoy your holiday. Hope you have fantastic weather and great game/bird viewing!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:03 pm 

Dogbert, many people posting here say that a normal car would be sufficient, even SANparks says it on one of their websites, if I remember correctly. Don´t know whom I should believe...

mkb, almost everything packed, we are flying tomorrow, stay a night at Arita´s in Upington and then KTP here we are! For some years my home was near to Kruger´s Punda Maria gate, hence I know Kruger very well. First time Kgalagadi now! Have been to the Kalahari before, in Botwana in 1986, stayed 10 days with the bushmen, what an experience it was!

Post subject: KTP camping - itenerary advice please
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:36 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good Day Everyone

I will (all going well) hopefully be taking delivery of my Hilux 4x4 next week. After our ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC trip to Twee Rivieren in a Yaris in December I vowed to return and visit the rest of the park.

I would like to plan a camping trip to KTP next year some time and would like to visit Mata Mata and Nossob but also some of the Botswana camps. My 6 year old daughter was absolutely fascinated by the fact that the camps in Botswana are unfenced and really wants to go to Rooiputs so that is on the cards. Bearing in mind that we will be a single vehicle (and will be self-sufficient) what camps/itenerary would you guys suggest? Also who do I contact in Bostwana to get more info and booking, costs etc?

Last edited by Senyetse on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: KTP Botswana - some advice please
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I forgot to mention we'll be entering and exiting at Twee Rivieren.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

After reading a lot of KTP TR I'm more and more convinced that I need to go there for my next wildlife experience after this year's Kruger fix...

I got some questions and I believe, I don't need to start a new thread for them?!

1. Are all the existing roads shown in the SANPark map?

2. I read somewhere that the water is supposed to be rather salty and you should bring your own. I don't think that means I'll have to buy a weeks (or whatever length I'll stay) worth supply of water in Upington? They surely stock water in the shops in the main camps?

3. Are there any suggestions what area to prefer - like in North (with Nossob, Gharagab and Grootkolk) and South (the rest of the lot)? My idea is to spend more time in the southern part, but also go up north for 2 nights. Good idea or not?

Lionspoon

Post subject: Re: KTP Botswana - itenerary advice please
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Nice one on the 4X4 purchase. You should speak to bigal - might have to pm him as I don't think he is on the forum too often - he stayed at Rooiputs and Polentswa over Dec 08 / Jan 09. Sure to be able to provide you with a wealth of info!

AGULHAS REST CAMP : Sat 14 June 2014 - Mon 16 June 2014 (Our first visit!)

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:54 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
Hi Lionspoon

1)All existing roads are shown!(except for a few NO ENTRY roads) Also if you visit before August 2009, remember that the road from Samevloeiing to Kji Kji is closed for repairs.

2)Water - we take our own! Shops at TR,Nossob and MM do sell water but expensive - the normal small bottled water! I have not seen any big containers for sale. Perhaps other forumites can help more in this area! (We do drink a little of the camp's water in coffee.)

3)If this is your first trip, try to get an overview of the park - spend some time in the south, north, Auob riverbed and Nossob riverbed. So, south and a few days north sounds fine! At the moment sightings in the south are great!

Enjoy your planning!

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Munchkin, I'll PM bigal.

I had a look at the map last night. How about:

TR
Mata Mata
Nossob
Matopi 1 or 2
Rooiputs
TR

What facilities are provided at Matopi 1 and 2? I know about Rooiputs.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:24 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Thanks wanderw!

Regarding sightings: That was my impression as well, that's why I'm thinking more south than north. But that might change within the next year. It's not gonna happen before March 2010. We're gonna be in Kruger this October and SA twice a year is just not an option when it comes to the financial side.

July 2010 was also on my list. But then again, it's summer here (Germany) and I don't think that I'm gonna swap balmy nights for chilly ones. (We have plenty of winter here...) So options are March or October, whereas I'd like to experience SA in a different season than before. And looking at the weather forecast on the KTP site, that seems to be just right.

Is 25 - 30°C and bright sunshine rather generic or an exception?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Senyetse,
Matopi 1 & 2 are the wildest camps I've ever seen in KTP. There are no facilities at all. Not even an A-frame. Both camps are between some bushes which give some shelter from the sun.

I would suggest that you try Polentswa instead. There you've got an A-frame, longdrop toilets and a shower facility without water.

Post subject: Re: KTP Botswana - itenerary adviceve please
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Batsman. Is one vehicle allowed to go to Polentswa?Don't you also have to do the entire route, ie one way? I've got no idea how things work on the Botswana side.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We booked two nights at Polentswa in May. Polentswa isn't necessarily part of the Gemsbok wilderness trail.

You can go to Polentswa and then go back to other camps like we will do.

Don't know about the minimun cars. We are a group with two cars. But Polentswa is very easy to reach and I don't thing two cars are required.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
March and October - good times to go!
We have been in March and at end September/beginning of October.
March temps - can be higher than 30, and can rain too, and can have a few chilly nights. KTP weather can surprise you, but generally weather should be good and temperatures moderate.
End September/begin October - warm days on the whole, some chilly nights. Also, you can have windy conditions, which can make the days a bit chilly. If you go towards the end of October, I expect the weather will get a bit hotter.

F2/2014

Post subject: Should I switch from Mata Mata to Nossob?
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:15 am 

I booked our trip way back in Oct and even then I grabbed the last chalets available at the time. It seems there have been some cancellations and there is now a chalet available at Nossob for 460 vs the 450 I paid for Mata Mata. Nossob is appealing to me because of the predators in the area, I am interested in cheetahs and lions.

The other consideration is that we will have a rented sedan car and about a 4000 rand deductible on the Super CDW so I don't want to take risks with the car, I want to stick to easy roads unless we can get organized tours out of the camps.

I am not sure if there are penalties to change from one chalet to another? Also, if this goes through, can I just pay the extra 10 rand at the gate? We will be in Cape Town 5 days before we arrive in Kgalagadi if it is better to handle it then (but it will be Good Friday).

KRUGER:
Punda Maria 19 & 20 April

Post subject: Re: Should I switch from Mata Mata to Nossob?
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:12 am 

Hi Tiki

We have just returned from KTP, and it was great, my advise to you will be to keep your Mata-Mata booking, the grass is very long in the Nossob area, we had a 4x4 and at times it was very hard even for us to see over the inbankment and grass.

And for us the Mata-Mata area was our favorite of all the area's, we stayed in KTC, just a few k's from Mata-Mata, and we saw plenty of lions, sadly no spotted cats.......

Just one thing they are bussy with building outside the camp, at Mata-Mata pm fieryneck they stayed in Mata-Mata maybe he can tell you if it was a disturbance at all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 717 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 48  Next