Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 717 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: KTP - Safe for Single Female Traveller ?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:15 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

And save yourself some money, leave the sat phone where it is. ;)

Being alone in the car will give you more options at a sighting. No need to leave before you are ready to leave, if need be you can stay there all day!
And if you want to you can stop for every springbok you see (you won't get far that way).

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Probably one of the safest areas in the world to travel to. No wonder, there is hardly any people living there. The roads to get to the park are in excellent condition so no problems there either.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:38 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Very safe :thumbs_up:
At the airport(s), on the road and certainly in KTP

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
This part of the country is the safest.

Inside the park, just keep your wits about you......

Keep a look out for scorpions etc.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:50 pm 

Safe I recon.....very safe......

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:50 pm 

Thank you so much for everyone's responses !!!!

I am from Southeast Asia and was wondering if I would stick out too much as a tourist but based on the thread, it seems that it would be perfectly safe. I am so excited and my mind has been eased, I am most definitely going to go for it now !!!!!! However, I think Im going to stay on the main roads in KTP and not try anything adventurous with the 4WD trails - I have zero car-mechanical skills and would hate to be stuck out there in the trails somewhere on my own !!! :tongue:

If you could see me now Im practically BURSTING from excitement :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:52 pm 

Everyone is so friendly here, its such a nice environment, forum-wise :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:12 pm 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
We all feel the same Lavy and you contribute a great deal to this friendly forum family! :D

You have a right to burst with excitement! You are going to have a wonderful trip! :dance: :dance:

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:12 pm 

I would'nt mind going alone as a lady,Lavy :) .
I have been only two times in KTP,not exactly alone.
Last year i joined two other forumites there,Anne-Marie and Click-Click( so we were three ladies).
But i had my own car( a 4X4 rental car) and bungalows.
I came back alone from the park without any anxiety.The road is very very quiet ,but you must drive with attention as on a long stretch of the road the sides are deep.
Upington is a nice town and it's easy there and not stressing to go to the supermarkets.
I reserved for last January projecting to go alone there but at the last moment Anne-Marie joined me.
Anne-Marie has been several time alone in KTP and KNP,i am sure she would say it's without problems;take only care as everywhere :)
As Duques i don't think you need a sat phone if you stay on the regulars roads until you want to phone at your family.
At Twee-Rievieren and Kieliekrankie(try and try several time there on the terrace)you can have phone reception.
Have a very nice trip,this park is a real little jewel :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:33 pm 

You should be fine.Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:36 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I often travel alone, all over the country. I rather enjoy it most times. 8)

I am planning a trip to KTP later in the year and have no hesitations about going on my own.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Go for it!

It really is a safe place, try to go to the park during daylight.
Try to drive there during the day, as there are a lot of animals like Cape Foxes and Bat eared Foxes on the road when it's still dark....
And if your car breaks down there will be plenty of people there to help you.
We (2 ladies) frequently travel to KTP since 2005 and never ever had any problems.

We always found it perfectly safe and as stated before, safe the money and do not rent a satelite phone.
The people in KTP are always very friendly and we never had a problem, even when we had punctures during our stays in the park.....

As said before anne-marie stayed in the park on her own and I am sure she will certainly recommend to go 8) :thumbs_up:
Maybe send her an PM and hear what she says....
If you need a nice and safe accomodation in Upington feel free to PM me or ask here on the forum and I am sure you will get plenty of replies via PM. The same for shopping in Upington etc.

Post subject: February 2013 in KTP
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:47 pm 

Hi All

I posted some general questions some time ago but now it looks like the trip will be a go so I have to lock down some details. I've been through the forums but need more help...

We have about 5 weeks total and will likely be arriving at Johannesburg early in the morning. I don't think it will possible to drive in a straight shot to KTP (we'll have been en route 2 days at that point). Any suggestions on where to overnight between Jo'burg and the Park? We'll have our own vehicle.

We're thinking about 9-10 nights in the Park, starting at Twee Rivieren (could easily be 10-11 days). I'm still in discussions with my husband over whether we should camp or not (I say yes) so haven't sorted out which camps to focus on. Our ultimate objective, though, is to travel from KTP to Kruger for another 10 days or so. Does it make any sense to travel through the Botswana portion of the Park at the end to aim for Kruger?

I have some concerns about driving. We've travelled in Kruger, Etosha and throughout Namibia before, but as dumb Canadians, we can only drive automatic vehicles. Renting a 4 x 4 isn't an option costwise, so are there any portions of the Park that are typically out of the question with a smallish car in February?

I'll come back with specific camp questions when I nail down some of these issues.

Thanks for any and all help.

Cheers,

Doris

Post subject: Re: February 2013 in KTP
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:51 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi there Porcupine1,

Please feel free to contact me on jan.kriel@sanparks.org with any questions and we can see how we can assist you with the planning etc.

Regards

KG

Post subject: Re: February 2013 in KTP
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi porcupine1 and Welcome!

First, could you and KG please ask/answer queries ON the forum, so that others may also benefit?

Altho many prefer a higher vehicle for KTP (and also KNP), I also find the costs of such prohibitive (especially as I travel solo), so I have always visited in a sedan (1992 Toyota Corolla; 2007 VW Polo; 2010 Ford Fiesta) and while some of the verges along the Nossob are high and sometimes tall grasses can make viewing tricky, I've really never felt that I've missed anything. Also, I prefer being in a sedan because I like being more at eye level with the animals :wink:

That said, there is always the risk of rains in February making some KTP roads impassable for sedans — and sometimes even for 4x4s and high clearance vehicles. And also, with an automatic you will have less control over your vehicle than you would with a manual (I drive a stick), plus you will pay more because manual is the norm.

You absolutely can't (or shouldn't) drive from Joburg to KTP in one day and especially after your long flight. I would advise that you sleep after your flight somewhere close to the airport or in the Joburg area before heading west — which is what I plan to do in October even tho I know SA quite well, and have in the past set out straight from the airport. But if you don't know the country well, I would NOT recommend making a long drive right after a long flight. I can also suggest that you might like to spend a couple of nights at Mokala NP en route (which is also my plan in October :) ), depending upon how much time you have.

Ask away! We're all glad the help!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 717 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 48  Next