Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 717 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi: itinerary advice
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:49 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
There is nothing wrong with traversing the park Marc - the more you drive, the more you are likely to see. Timing is everything.

Take your last night at 2R if you can for an early getaway.

As you are coming in Feb, you should need minimal warm clothing, but it will probably rain. You could be treated to glorious thunderstorms.

Familiarize yourself with the major birds found in KTP, especially the raptors, which are plentiful. The world's heaviest flying bird, the Kori bustard is found without much trouble.

You don't need 4x4 for Grootkolk, and I would select it over Garaghab if I could, although I have never been to 'Ghab.

2R area has been 'cooking' for a long time now, and 2 consecutive nights there could be very productive.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:27 pm 

Quote:
I understand that getting in and out of Bitterpan can be the most challenging. How about Gharagab and Grootkolk?

Hello Marc,
For me the way to Gharagab, and Gharagab to Mata is most challenging than Bitterpan track (but beautiful, unique landscapes ! ... and so quiet !).
For Bitterpan only the first 10 km (... may be a little bit more) are very sandy and difficult.
As Bush Baptist says, there is no problem to drive to Grootkolk.
Those 3 places are ... just magic !
yvo

Post subject: Re: First trip to Kgalagadi - Help please!
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:16 pm 

Thanks guys for your quick replies. Has reassured me a lot :)
Now that I know your expertise, I will be back soon with many more questions!!

Post subject: Re: First trip to Kgalagadi - Help please!
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
kavita wrote:
....... So we are thinking of
2 nights KK
1 night Nossob
2 nights grrotkolk
1 night Nossob......
perfect choise :thumbs_up: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:04 pm 

Hi Marc,

Itinerary in KTP looks OK to me, but I've got serious doubts about arriving by airplane in Jo'burg in the morning of the 13th and driving all the way to Upington the same day. It's almost 800 km (500 mi), and only the first 100 km are big wide interstates. After that, it's only two-lane roads and last time we were there (last year september) there were lots of road works on the way which cost us a lot of time.
It took us almost 11 hours to reach our B&B in Upington...

Don't forget to reserve some time for stocking up on supplies in Upington.

Last year we also booked one night @ Gharagab, but found the drive up from, and back to Nossob a little too much for just that one night... Still, Gharagab is a great place to stay, and the ride up there through the dunes is amazing.

For the return voyage, I would recommend to stay at Twee Rivieren on the 24th and stay in Kuruman or even closer to JNB on the 25th.

I think the Terios should not be a problem, Nossob-Bitterpan is not a big issue. However, with the Daihatsu I wouldn't drive directly from Bitterpan to Mata Mata, but via Moravet & Urikaruus.

Have fun over there, hope you like KTP!! :o

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:09 am 

marelm wrote:
Hi Marc,

Itinerary in KTP looks OK to me, but I've got serious doubts about arriving by airplane in Jo'burg in the morning of the 13th and driving all the way to Upington the same day. It's almost 800 km (500 mi), and only the first 100 km are big wide interstates. After that, it's only two-lane roads and last time we were there (last year september) there were lots of road works on the way which cost us a lot of time.
It took us almost 11 hours to reach our B&B in Upington...

Don't forget to reserve some time for stocking up on supplies in Upington.

Last year we also booked one night @ Gharagab, but found the drive up from, and back to Nossob a little too much for just that one night... Still, Gharagab is a great place to stay, and the ride up there through the dunes is amazing.

For the return voyage, I would recommend to stay at Twee Rivieren on the 24th and stay in Kuruman or even closer to JNB on the 25th.

I think the Terios should not be a problem, Nossob-Bitterpan is not a big issue. However, with the Daihatsu I wouldn't drive directly from Bitterpan to Mata Mata, but via Moravet & Urikaruus.

Have fun over there, hope you like KTP!! :o

Thanks for the helpful comments. Here is my booked itinerary:
Code:
Feb. 14       Twee Rivieren
Feb. 15-16    Nossob
Feb. 17       Bitterpan
Feb. 18       Mata Mata
Feb. 19-20    Kalahari
Feb. 21       Twee Rivieren
Feb. 22       Nossob
Feb. 23       Grootkolk
Feb. 24       Mata Mata

Only camping is available at TR on the 24th. This is a late booking, so I've booked as best I can. I agree that Upington is ambitious on the day of arrival. Kuruman may be a better stopping point in both directions. Provided I get a reasonable start from Kuruman on the morning of the 14th, I don't think it will be too challenging to get to TR by 1600 or 1700 after a good stop in Upington.

If chalet availability opens at TR on the 24th, I'll switch from Mata Mata.

Any recommendations for lodging in Kuruman?

Marc

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:51 am 

From Mata Mata to Kuruman might also be a bit ambitious, so I hope a TR chalet comes available for you...

MarcSF wrote:

Any recommendations for lodging in Kuruman?

Marc

We only stayed once in Kuruman, I think it was called Cunningham Cottage.
Nice clean place, perfect stop for the way back to JNB.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hey MarcSF,

24th...at least you are in.

Watch for cancellations, they usually come around, and grab one.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:04 pm 

Hi MarcSF I have sent you PM with name of a place we can recommend on the road between Kuruman and Upington

Bitterpan 2 - 4 Mar (might change)
KTC 4 - 7 Mar
TR 7 Mar

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:32 am 

Hi All,

I would like to visit KTP soon (early June) as soon as my exams are done.

I am an avid Kruger fan and been there over 100 trips but I've never been to KTP.

I have no idea which accommodation to start looking at. My only criteria are must have own kitchen + utensils and must have own bathroom. My gf will refuse to go with me if she has to walk around the camp to go shower before sunrise :-)

I was thinking (as I would drive from Johannesburg) that I should stay for my first night or 2 in Twee Rivieren as it would provide me with easy access to the park on the afternoon that I arrive and can also provide me with essentials that I may possibly leave behind.

There after I am clueless as to where I should book for (availability permitting).

I would like to stay for 6-7 nights in total and would like a mix of main camps and wilderness camps (possibly 2/2/3 nights configuration).

Thank you for your help in advance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

David :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:55 am 

First have a look what is still available (if there is any)
To share when you are camping or have a chalet or tent with own bathroom etc... does not matter, as long as you are there
Just go with or without girlfriend, you will make friends anyway

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:09 pm 

Hi :)

So I managed to book the following for my trip to KTP:

14th: Mata Mata RF2
15th: Mata Mata RF2
16: Gharagab
17th: TR F2A/4A
18th: TR F2A/4A
19th: KTC FDT4
20th: KTC FDT4
21st: KTC FDT4

22nd: Karoo National Park (CO3) on the way Holiday with the family :)

I was VERY lucky as some nights I got the last accommodation available for the park.

I have a few concerns:

1) Driving from mata mata to Gharagab in a day

2) Driving from Gharagab to TR in a day.

3) I am also slightly worried as I have never done any 4x4 training nor have any 4x4 driving skills and I read the road exiting Gharagab is sometimes tricky

4) I will be leaving JHb midnight on the 13th and should arrive in TR midday and 3 hours to Mata Mata should give me 3 hours or so spare. Is this ok to do?

Any advice or suggestions are welcome as this is my 1st time to KTP

David

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:12 am 

Though this comment regarding driving from Tambo airport to Upington is overdue for Marc I think it could be important to some future visitors.

Most of us have to keep to a certain travel budget and do not want to waste money and it may seem very expensive to fly within SA compared to driving. However, return ticket JNB-Uppington is about 4000 Rand but just the fuel cost for a somewhat bigger car and 1 day extra rental is almost 3000 rand. For a single foreign traveller you save very little money by driving this long and exhausting distance. Some hours extra to relax in Upington can be very nice since there are many good B&B and lodges. If you are more than one person, the calculation will give another result but than you will likely be more than one person to drive too. Alternatively, one-way car rental could be considered. For exampel, the extra cost Upington-Tambo for a Hyundai IX35 (class K) is only 760 Rand at Avis.

KTP is wonderful so whatever means of travel to get there it will provide great experiences.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:48 am 

Jburg MM in one? as a single driver or is the girlfriend joining and driving too?
What about changing first night MM for 2R?
Once (in June) we did Upington Nossob in one day. The road conditions at that day were terrible in the park, which means very very slow driving. We left Upington at 6 in the morning and arrived at 17h00 in Nossob. We did stop at the stops for the toilet and something to eat and drink, change driver seat and we did not stop for sightings because all the attention went to the road. We were surprised it took us so long as often we do Nossob Augrabies in one day without any problem. But it can happen.

MM Garaghab is a long way/day, I don't know if there is any one else who has done it and can advise you. I would keep an eye open if something comes available in Nossob instead

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:57 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
David1 wrote:
Hi :)

I was VERY lucky as some nights I got the last accommodation available for the park.

I have a few concerns:

1) Driving from mata mata to Gharagab in a day

2) Driving from Gharagab to TR in a day.

3) I am also slightly worried as I have never done any 4x4 training nor have any 4x4 driving skills and I read the road exiting Gharagab is sometimes tricky

4) I will be leaving JHb midnight on the 13th and should arrive in TR midday and 3 hours to Mata Mata should give me 3 hours or so spare. Is this ok to do?

Any advice or suggestions are welcome as this is my 1st time to KTP

David

Hi David,

Some answers to some of your questions.........

In June you'll have a 10 and a half hour day. Gates open 7H30 and closes 18H00

1. A drive from MM to Garagab (entrance route) should be doable in 9 hours. Then you have no real long stops and you have to be moving at 40 km per hour. It's a really long drive ( which we've done, but that was in summer) Please remember to fill up in Nossob as that will be your last fuel station.

2. Drive from Garagab to TR( exit route) should be doable in 7 hours.

3. As long as you remember to deflate your tyres enough you should not have problems.

4. 3 hours spare is just enough to unpack and go for a short late afternoon drive.

Enjoy your visit and I hope you'll be spoiled with some stunning sightings.

I'm sure a lot of others will be along soon with some good advise!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 717 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 48  Next