Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: First time camper at Kgalagadi
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:01 pm 

Hi Kgalagadi Guru
A new forum member, been reading the forum for a couple of months and got a lot of help and advise from the forum.
We want to visit Kgalagadi next year August (from the 22nd to the end of August) Mainly going to camp. We are looking at Mata Mata, Nossob and then TR. Can you give me some advise regarding the weather, the best roads to go on (driving a 4x2 Nissan Hardbody) Any advise will be appreciated.
Thank you
Rolypoly.

Post subject: Re: First time camper at Kgalagadi
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:37 pm 

Hi and welcome to the forum Rolypoly!

I'm sure KG will answer as well, but so long: Weather at the end of Aug will be nice and warm days, with cool mornings and chilly to cold evenings.

As long as you are just camping and driving a 4x2, you won't be able to go on any of the 4x4 tracks, the rest of the roads are open for you to drive on though. There's not much choice of which road to drive, it's basically up and down each river road and the two dune roads connecting them, but don't worry, the time you are going most game will be in the dry river beds. :thumbs_up:

Consult the KTP map found on the site.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:30 pm 

Hi Switchback

Thank you for the reply, some more questions.... Any rain in August and what about the WIND.
Can't wait for the bookings to open so that we can book our camps.
Loving the forum and thank you again.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:56 pm 

It's not really raining season then, but you know with our weather system these days...

I grew up in the Northern Cape and I can remember the August winds can be terrible, maybe KG can shed some more light on wind in August in KTP?

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:06 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi there Rolypoly,

Welcome to the forum hope you will have a great time here. Sorry for only getting back to you now, but you have received some very helpful information from Switchback.

The winds in August can be hectic, although the days are getting warmer and as mentioned the wind chill makes it cold, other than that the sightings are good although the animals just get a bit active later in the mornings as what it is in the summer

Hope it helps

KG

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum Rolypoly.

Only the 3 main camps, 2R, MM & Nossob have camping, unless you go to the unfenced campsites on the Bots side, Polentswa and Rooiputs.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:28 pm 

Hi Rolypoly - welcome :) hope....no, I'm sure ...you will enjoy your trip as much as we enjoyed ours :lol: :clap:
We had quite an experience at MM at the beginning of May involving wind and one later afternoon at Nossob a very strong wind came up and blew chairs and kettles and whatnot all over the place- so no month is immune and of course, some months must be worse :| - sudden storms can come up at any time in KTP - as I have gathered from the forum.
I would say be prepared for the worst right from the beginning :warn: - make sure your tent is very well pegged with strong ropes and good knots (my hubby uses special "transport" knots for our ropes not the usual sliders that come with tents) and then hope for the best :whistle: :wink: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:24 pm 

Thank you for all the advise, going to help us alot.

We are going from the 23th of August 2012 until the end of August. I need some advise on how to plan our tour, we want to camp at all three camps, Mata Mata, Nossob and TR. I need some suggestions from the forum people that camped in these camps already because it won't help to stay to long at Mata Mata if we are a bit restricted on the roads that we may travel with our 4x2.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:20 pm 

Rolypoly : You are not"restricted" because of the type of vehicle you have :) - we have a 4x4 and when we stayed at MM for 4 nights in May we never went on a single "4x4" road :shock: : - There is only one road to travel when you are at MM whereas when at Nossob you can travel either north or south - you will see what I mean if you can get hold of a good map of the KTP -

There are several waterholes with little loop roads - you can park there and see what happens - we spent several hours one morning sitting at Craig Lockhart which is only about 17kms from MM and had a lovely time.

There are two picnic sites (Kamqua and Auchterlonie) where toilet facilities are available - so it depends on what you see and how long you can hold on :roll: :whistle: - One day we had some very interesting sightings including a very good lion sighting - all before the first picnic spot (Kamqua) - we spent so long at all these sightings that we we eventually had to travel at speed limit to get to the facilities before there was an "accident" :P :lol: :tongue: We had our picnic and turned backed to MM - We left MM at 7.30am and got back to camp at 3pm and had more interesting sightings on our way back.

Remember animals are always on the move (except when preadators are parking off under a tree in the heat of the day :tongue: ) so even travelling on the same road - you will see different things on different days. Its not the distance you travel is what you see that counts :) :thumbs_up:
We might even run into you as we are planning to be in KTP for the last week of August and first week of Sept 2012 :lol:

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi: CAMPING
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:03 am 

Hi,
I'd like to ask you an advice about camping in Kgalagadi.
We visited the park 2 years ago, sleeping in bungalows, and we are thinking to plan a visit for end December/beginning of Jan (I know it's not the best period, but that's what we can do).
Is it an advantage to camp (excluding money...)?
I see that the campsites are only in the main camps, and you need to book them, so I am not so sure.
Perhaps it would be interesting to camp in Botswana side.
Moreover, we should rent all camping equipment, is there some place in Cape Town for it?

Another question, what can you tell me about wilderness 4x4 trails in Botswana side? Perhaps this is not the right section, but you can tell me where to find info.

Thank you!
Silvia

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:21 am 

Hi Silvia,

Other than money, there are no real advantages as such to camping - except for the experience. It has to be something you like / love to do, otherwise you are going to hate it as it could be an inconvenience if you're not used to the setup.

I am a camper myself, but not because it is cheaper (the equipment cost a whole bucket full anyway), but I love to be closer to nature and for the whole camping experience - I just LOVE it! :dance:

It would be quite an experience to camp in Botswanna, but then you need to know your equipment well IMHO - not recommended for first time campers I'd say... :hmz:

There's a company called "Drive & Camp" I think in Cpt that might help you. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Silvia,

If you want to camp, the best would be to hire a fully kitted 4x4 - especially if you want to go on the Botswana side. The 4x4's come with all the gear you may need. Generally this is an expensive option but considering the one-stop service you get it may be worth it. There are companies that have reasonable offers. If you need a link to one you can PM me. I have a Swiss friend that used them and he is very satisfied. The longer you stay, the cheaper the rates are.

Apart for the whole camping adventure, the fact that you only have canvas between you and the wilderness out there makes it a wonderful experience - as you can hear the nightlife in the bush much better than is the case in a chalet.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:27 pm 

Thank you for your reply!

Switchback it is also my doubt: since we are not campers, I am not sure it is a good idea to start in Kgalagadi! :roll:

Anyway, WeskusKlong could you PM the link you mentioned? just to have an idea.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:40 pm 

Silvia, starting camping in the Kgalagadi on the South African side is a VERY good idea though. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:14 pm 

Switchback wrote:
Silvia, starting camping in the Kgalagadi on the South African side is a VERY good idea though. :thumbs_up:

I have been reading something in the forum about Botswana campsites: what do you think about Rooiputs and Polentswa? It seems they are close to the main road and not so far from the SA main camps, but probably you are more in contact with nature.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next