SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:59 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Did you stay in the unit with the 2 bedrooms or the one with 1 bedroom and 2 beds in the lounge area?

We stayed in the latter. The lounge area had a seating area, dining area( lovely big table) and two single beds. Loads of space. I am sure another bed can fit into the lounge arera as well.The kitchen had a stove and was well stocked with utensils ( in 2005).Lovely view and braai area.
I am not sure ,Kingfisha whether you have read The Story of the Kalahri Girls ...if not you can pick it up here...it may give you some more insight into " the house on the hill "

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:34 pm 

Also here I need your help,

I guess the accommodation CH2/3/4/6 only vary in the number of people to accommodate??? So I guess a CH2 would be large enough???

Thanks for your help here.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:13 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Correct, if there are only 2 of you a CH2 will suffice.

Post subject: Nossob camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:03 am 

Hi everybody,
Not only a newcomer to the forum but also to KTP I have already read through a lot of posts in the forum. But anyway, can somebody give some advice what to expect from the facilities at Nossob camp. We are not the perfectly equipped outdoor people (at least not yet) so I would like to know how to best stock up for 4 nights at Nossob. P.S. I don't have a car fridge, only cooler boxes. If anybody has an idea if and where (CT area) one could rent a mobile fridge/freezer it would be great.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:49 am 

The only good advice i can give is to take enough bottled drinking water (about 2.5l per person per day) because the water in Nossob is very salty .
Ass for the facilities , they are very good and cater for campers and chalet stayers .
There is a shop that sells almost anything aswell as meat if you don't want to take some with.
Somewhere in Upington there is a place that rents all kinds of camping gear .

Canon 7D Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM-Canon 100-400 IS USM F4.5-Canon 28 - 135 is -Sigma 24mm f1.8 MACRO-Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM-Canon EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 Image Stabilized USM-Canon EF 2X II Extender-Canon EF 1.4 Extender

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:06 am 

Ossi, I'm not sure whether you'll be camping or staying in the self-catering venues - I'm guessing the latter. I'm also not sure whether your stay in KTP will be limited to 4 nights at Nossob, or whether you will also stay in some of the other camps?
As a rule, we take big cans (20l) of fresh water. They do sell bottled water at Nossob, but it may happen that they run out of supplies and it may take days to re-supply. There are freezers / fridges in the chalets, so "normal" cool-boxes should suffice - depending from where you are driving. They do sell meat at 2R and Nossob, but again you cannot bargain on supplies. Fresh produce is also important and they seldom have cheese and milk available during peak times.

Post subject: Nossob
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:13 am 

Sorry for being not specific. We will stay just one night in
2R, continue to Nossob (4 nights) and then head straight out again. I know it's too short but... We will stay in Chalets for the whole visit.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2012)
Ossi, If you are staying in chalets, they all do have fridges/freezers so a normal coolerbox would suffice. One tip however is to work out you menus beforehand and when you buy the meat ask for it to be vacuum packed into specific meals. You can then freeze the meals and defrost as required. Skaapland butchery in Upington will do this for you no problem.
Otherwise all the chalets are fully equiped so you don't really need anything extra like crockery and cutlery.
Hope this helps

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62684

and

Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:45 pm 

Hi Ossi,

Before we got the car fridge/freezer we would buy a block or two of dry ice, and put that in the cooler with our meat. No problems with meat defrosting on the drive up. I know of a good place in CT that sells the ice if you want - around R10 a block if I remember correctly. 2 Blocks should do the trick, so it's not even a lot of money. Give me a shout if you want the details. Enjoy the trip - Nossob is great !

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:57 pm 

hi Ossi
If you are still interested.... Just Done IT 4x4 in Hout Bay used to rent out fridges.
Enjoy your trip

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:35 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
4 nights - Nossob

Be sure to drive round Marie se Draai every day. Unless you have seen enough lions cheetahs, AWCs & brown hyenas.

Post subject: Nossob camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:02 am 

Thank you all for your advice. This gave me quite a better picture of what to expect. Hope we can make the best out of it and we come back bitten bythe Kalahari bug as well.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Concerning taken frozen meat to KTP:

I always buy my meat at a butcher and let him vacuum pack the meat. I then (obviously) freeze the meat. When I pack the meat I put a carton from a 24-pack Castle beer on the bottom of the coolbox and put all the meat on that carton. I wrap all the meat in old newspapers. After stacking all the meat I cover it with another carton from a 24-pack Castle beer. I then put my veggies, fetah cheese, butter etc on top op that. If you pack like this and use a decent cooler box (Coleman) then your meat will stay frozen for over 24 hours, no problem at all.

On my last trip a friend of mine gave me 4x4 ice packs (example) which I put on top of the meat. This way the meat stayed frozen even longer.

You can also use carton from other beer brands, but Castle works best

Post subject: nossob gate
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:33 pm 

Hi

Does Nossob has a gate.
If so
What's closing time
regards
schliek
the netherlands

Post subject: Re: nossob gate
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:57 pm 

Hi schliek
Yes ,Nossob as well as Mata Mata and Twee Rivieren have gates. The unfenced camps Kielie Krankie, Urikaruus, Kalahari Tented Camp, Gharagab, Grootkolk and Bitterpan do not have gates because they are unfenced camps but the same gate opening and closing times apply. The gate times are as follows:

January to February
06:00 – 19:30
March
06:30 – 19:00
April
07:00 – 18:30
May
07:00 – 18:00
June and July
07:30 – 18:00
August
07:00 – 18:30
September
06:30 – 18:30
October
06:00 – 19:00
November and December
05:30 – 19:30

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next