Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Nossob 23 & 24 Dec 2009
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:41 pm 

WOW !!!
On the 23rd of Dec 09 after watching 8 lions drinking at Veertiende Boorgat we arrived at Nossob and there are 6 lions lying by the lookout.

Two of them mating, 2 males under a tree and 2 females at the waterhole. Later the afternoon the mating couple were lying a few metres away from the lookout. Fantastic site. That eveing we had continuous roaring.

On the morning of 24 Dec I woke up at 5.15 from the roaring. I rushed to the lookout to find a female with 2 cubs under the lookout. We took photos through the floorboards. There must have been 9 lions in total. The young males were lying in the grass next to the walkway - close to the camp gate (don't think anyone went for an early morning drive).

I saw the male lion charge a younger one that came to close to the female with cubs under the lookout, as well as the female giving the male lion a warning punch for coming to close to the cubs. Most of this I only have on DVD. The lookout filled a very quickly and it sounded like typewriters as everyone was taking photos.

If Dotty would be so kind to post my photos, I will forward them to her??

Post subject: Re: Nossob 23 & 24 Dec 2009
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

HS 's Lovely photographs

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:04 pm 

Could it have been these lions, captured by the cammers here and here , HS ?

Love your pics !
(Thanks HS and Dots !)

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:44 pm 

Yes Matthys, that is the loving couple and bridesmaids.

I still cannot believe I was that lucky!!!

Post subject: Nossob days
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi there
I just want to share some sightings with you while I'm here at Nossob (I'm just here for a short while to help out with activities).

When you go on a sunset drive in this Park, it will do you good to look for the small things. For in the small things, the treasure of this Park is to be found...

We've seen tree rats on a few occasions now and it is such a cool thing to see for it is one of those species that you will only see in this arid environment. The one night while we were admiring a tree rat, an elephant shrew popped out from underneath a bush and we could get a good look at him too!

More of the small treasures include the Cape foxes (they are so cute!), bat eared foxes and African wild cats...we've also been fortunate enough to see caracal on three occasions over the past month on the sunset drives and brown hyaneas a couple of times as well. Earlier this week, we were so excited about our brown hyane sighting because he scent marked his territory - something we haven't witnessed before! The lions had been around the camp a few times and could be seen from the bird hide in front of the camp. The young lion & lionness we saw at Rooikop waterhole (which is dry) the one night, decided to break the ball valve off from the waterhole and rather play with it...so I guess the waterhole will be out of order for a little while longer :

Man...there's so many more little things to note, that I will have to continue another time...

Post subject: Re: Nossob days
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:42 pm 

Hi Betelgeuse,
Please can we have some more on your small sightings? I too believe that they are treasures, not only of KTP but of all the Parks and are often underestimated. Don't get me wrong, lions are great but for me it has to be an African wild cat or a bat eared fox or a caracal living free and not in danger of being shot as 'vermin'. So please keep us updated, and tell those caracal to stick around...I'll be up there at the beginning of October!

'And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.'

Post subject: Nossob Camping
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:29 pm 

We had a cold but nice week in Nossob from 12 to 16 July 2010.

It is always nice to experience nature the Kgalagadi way.

Management need to brush up on some of the basic services provided at Nossob. Toilet paper has been in short supply in the male ablution for the whole period. Hot water was something that had to be hunted for in both the male and female ablutions - we even had some French female visitors in the male showers one good morning - talking about some good sightings!

We are used to basic facilities and Nossob is all but basic, but maybe it is time for the ablutions to get a facelift.

Despite these issues, it still remains one of the best places to go and get recharged.

Post subject: Re: Nossob Camping
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:53 pm 

Just back from a lovely camping (4-day) experience at Nossob! We were very impressed with the good servicing by the staff of all ablutions, etc. We had no issues at all. Staff is generally friendlier than last visit in 2007, shop attendant very helpful and office also a pleasure to visit.

The staff has done substantial maintenance on all facilities and were actually creosoting the gumpole barriers between the various camping sites. Very relaxed atmosphere!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:04 pm 

Hi Hiki,
Am heading for Nossob in October and am wondering if those gum poles you mention demarcate the individual sites (like at Addo) or just different areas and it is just a question of finding a space when you arrive (like MZ)? Last time we were there - too long ago - you just had to find a space (we landed up near the very flimsy fence and a jackal stole one of my son's very expensive hiking boots!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:09 pm 

Hi Penny

Most of the tent areas are demarcated; however, they do not direct you to any one specific; you need to find an unoccupied one. We have been lucky so far, for the last four visits (spanning over a period of 11 years) we could pitch our tent + stuff on the same spot every time!

Watch out for the roving jackals; they stole two pairs of crocs from a nearby tent; don't leave ANYTHING foodwise, etc. outside after noon.

Enjoy your stay! Still the best camp in the KTP.

Post subject: Re: Nossob days
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:11 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi all,

Just to let you know, Nossob and Mata-Mata will become much more active on the forum. all I ask is just to bare with us to sort out some admin issues then I will make sure you get all the info you require, for the time being the guides will forward all their sightings and picture for me to post.

Im just trying to get all loose end together and then we will be much more pro-active.

Regards

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi: Nossob Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

when i went to nossob i stayed up the whole night at the hide and i saw brown hyenas coming to drink and then a cheetah with a kill just 100 metres from the hide it was incredible

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi: Nossob Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:14 pm 
Guru
Guru

@ossendryver

Great to hear you had such a good time and good sightings. It just goes to show it pays of if you have the patience to sit and wait

Post subject: Webcam view at nossob
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:04 pm 

Having visited KTP in april 2008 and seen a phenominal green parkland and beautiful scenery I have been wanting to get back there ever since.

I monitor the SAN Parks webcam daily and have seen plenty rain over the last 12 months but never any greenry as I saw.

My question is - is the webcam at nossob mounted at the hide, which I assume is in the same place, as, what I see now, is not what I saw when visiting. Particularly the bush density on the far side of the "river" which currently is very dense and was really thin and very scattered when we were there. Also the dead tree is not the same.

Your comments please.

Regards - OLDWIGG

Post subject: Re: Webcam view at nossob
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:49 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The webcam is mounted above the 'viewing slit' to on the left as you look out of th hide.

I don't think the dead tree has been interfered with. It looks the same as always to me, whether I was there or watching via the cam.

Bush grows and dies per season.

When I was first there in 2002, there was no light and the waterhole was the further natural one.

The then Nossob ranger had the artifical one built closer and the light installed in about 2005.

Hope this helps oldwigg!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next