Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 96  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification
Unread postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
for once it's Cheetahs after Leopard :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
@Muhammad - WOW! What a special sighting! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:37 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2012)
wow Muhammad What a special sighting :clap:

We are so sorry yjt we couldn't be in the KTP thisMay.. Hope you had a wonderful time
Gavin and Debbie

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62684

and

Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:27 am 

we briefly spotted this cat on April 02, near Auchterlonie - I'm not sure the picture has enough detail to positively ID the leopard but I assume I could be / is the female with two cubs KG told me about when we visited him in his office

thanks

Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Ice,
Thanks for posting your sighting :thumbs_up:
You are right that it is a hard picture to identify. I'm pretty sure i will be able to identify him/her from the original full resolution image....if you could send it to me and fill in a report on my website (below) that would be great.
Cheers

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:27 pm 

I did just so, Matt

relating to your website: when you say you have ID'ed 49 different leopards, are you then speaking about cats in the entire park or merely the ZA side?

Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:05 pm 

thanks to Matt we identified this cat as Miera; however, I have to correct myself, we spotted her on April 3rd and not on April 2nd

Unread postPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:20 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ice wrote:
I did just so, Matt

relating to your website: when you say you have ID'ed 49 different leopards, are you then speaking about cats in the entire park or merely the ZA side?

Thanks for the report :thumbs_up:

In answer to your question, yes, i have identified 49 different leopards in the South African side of the park. However, many of these leopards are seen along the Nossob river so they will be using the Bots side too.
When it comes to the bots side there are a lot fewer leopard sightings that i've heard about. I don't think this is necessarily because there are fewer leopards there, but more because there are less visitors. I also don't have guides in the Mabuasehube camps so people don't know to submit their sightings. Hopefully this will change in the coming months.

Having said all this i do know of three leopards in the Mabuasehube area that are additional to the 49 SA ones. These are not in the guide since i've been unable to track down the people who sighted them so i don't have the real specifics of the sightings. They are also all historical leopards so we don't know if they are still around.

I'm still waiting for the 50th SA leopard....hopefully someone will sight it soon.
Cheers

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

Unread postPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:32 pm 

sorry Matt if I keep on asking - but these 49 you are referring, are they all still alive? or does "historical" mean that some of them have not been seen in ages and may therefore very well be daed?

Unread postPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

No worries with the questions....good to know people are interested, so ask away.

You are right. I class a leopard as historical if it has not been seen in the last two years. I do this because i believe there is a good chance that it may have died or exited the park. The main reason in doing this is to help people in making identifications (the historical leopards are at the back of the guide). I advise that you first try and identify any sighting against the current leopards and then try the historical ones, this method will hopefully save you time.

But just because a leopard is in the historical section, this doesn't mean that it is dead. Recently N!xau was "promoted" from the historical section up into the currently active part as he was sighted at Kannaguass.

If you look at the guide then you will see that at the moment there are 32 currently active leopards and 17 historical ones (although two will be demoted in the next version).

F1/2014

Unread postPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:51 pm 

gotcha - I was just wondering because you wrote that you were hoping for leopard number 50 - if you took animals that are presumed dead off that list, you could just as well fall back to 48 or 47 ;-)

Unread postPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

That is true....but because the study will be looking at average lifespans and range dynamics all the data on all leopards will be useful....so i'm really hoping to get the 50th study leopard :pray:

For most visitors the number of currently active leopards is probably a more important number and the more useful side of the guide :wink:

F1/2014

Unread postPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So i've been trying to identify this leopard that KG posted in the camera trap thread, but i've come up against a brick wall :wall:
Kgalagadi Guru wrote:
Morning All,

I know its a bit late and i apologize :? , but it has been very hectic here.

The photo was taken at Urikaruus sometime during Arpil 2013. I suspect that it is either Baralong, Tsamma, Tshidi or Seleka but i don't have good enough comparison pictures. What i need is a few good bum shots of these leopards (preferably showing the back of the front right leg). If anyone knows they've seen one of these 4 could they please have a quick look through their pics to see if they might have a photo that can help. If you can positively identify him/her then that would be ideal, otherwise either post the photo here or email it to me.

Of course it might not be any of these 4. There are other leopards that frequent the Urikaruus area so if you have bum shots of them too then please check them and let me know if you get a match or not.

Many thanks and fingers crossed someone comes up trumps. :pray:

F1/2014

Unread postPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
will search :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!
Hi AstroMatt,

Will do my best to spot number 50 for you in our upcoming trip in about 16 days' time DV.

Where in your opinion would be the highest concentration of Leopards in KTP?

We are spending 3 nights in Twee Rivieren, and a further 4 in Nossob.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 96  Next