Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kgalagadi - Nossob to Mabuasehube Driving and Camping
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:20 pm 

Hi all, new poster, but long time reader, have received much great information here.
We have secured a campsite at Mpayathutlwa for 3 nights Feb 2015 and will be arriving from Nossob. We are looking at a Toyota Hilux (renting) (had one when we visited the park this past Feb and loved it, just without the camping gear) with either a rooftop tent, or a smaller fibreglass canopy camper. The canopy camper looks great, but I am concerned that there does not seem to be a way to carry extra fuel. With one way driving of approximately 200km (400 km round trip), and a total range of about 650 to 700 km maximum, does this allow us enough kms to do some driving once there? Seems even to do a couple of the loops in the area per day could easily add 100km per day, thus making the drive back to Nossob possibly short on fuel.
We like to drive, but do most people tend to stay put once in the Mabuasehube area, or should we look at the roof top tent so that we can carry extra fuel?
Thanks so much!

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi - Nossob to Mabuasehube Driving and Camping
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I hope someone can help with this!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:25 pm 

Me too! - lol.
I am thinking maybe a lot of people do not drive from Nossob to Mabuasehube and return the same way, but exit out into Botswana?? Should I be looking at just arriving from the Botswana side? Not sure that this would necessarily save a lot of time or distance though, will have to research that. We are flying in and out of Upington so if we did that, we would head up towards Tshabong I assume. We only have the one night at Nossob before Mabuasehube, so do have a little flexibility.
Thanks for any ideas or thoughts.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Maybe send a pm to Bush Baptist for help?

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:36 pm 

Hi there,
In February it can be wet? I would think you are better off to do Polentswa or even Rooiputs as the drive from nossob to Mabua can be a bit tricky?
We love Mabua but Roiputs /Polentswa will be better driving for you and petrol available....it will give you the same or similar camping experience
Enjoy

Balule 3 days
Satara 7 days
Lower Sabie 7 days
Skukuza 3 days
Berg en dal 3 days

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Hollydog,

I am not sure if you looking at a diesel or petrol engine, but the latter can be very thirsty decreasing the range further. The best will be to rent a 4x4 with a long range fuel tank (160 liter capacity)

I have no experience of driving to Mabua, but what I do have experience of is the 4x4 routes on SA side (Nossob Eco/Bitterpan/Gharagab). Your traveling speed can be restricted to 15 - 30 km/h, which means you will be bumping around the whole day to Mabua. According to Google Maps it will take you 12 hours, therefore most visitors stop at halfway at Matopi for one night and don't usually do it in one day. Fuel are usually carried in extra jerry cans so that you will not be stranded. Driving on sandy roads can result in higher fuel consumption and therefore you need to be self sufficient on fuel. Its also essential to take enough water along, special in Feb when it is very hot.

My advice will be similar to JaniceE or alternative return via Tsabong, but even that will be 137 km far and you might get there finding that no fuel is available. Rooiputs and Polentswa is much more convenient, so try and see if you can change it, unless the rental company can add at least 2 x 20 liter jerry cans to the vehicle camping supplies (fuel excluded I will assume) or you get a 4x4 with a 160 liter tank.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:53 pm 

Hi Hollydog

I've done the route from Mabua to Nossob. At a comfortable speed you can do it in about 7 hours. The road is very corrugated, so I will personally not do it back and forth. I will rather enter via Mabua and exit via Nossob. This shoudl also sort out your fuel issue. If you can get accommodation, Rooiputs or Polentswa will be my preferred choice. For fuel consumption you can roughly work on about 4km/lt in the sand. Feel free to ask if you need more info.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:18 am 

Thanks JaniceE, Son godin, and Windhond for your thoughts and comments. Kite - I still may send a PM to Bush Baptist, thanks. I have spent time reading Bush Baptists previous posts.
I am still somewhat confused as to what we should do. We had pretty much decided to go with the fibreglass canopy camper, even knowing the limited range of the Hilux.
It is a diesel Hilux, but only 80 litre tank. As mentioned, apparently adding spare fuel tanks to the fibreglass body is not an option (it is a rental). I was thinking more along the lines of 8km per litre, thus the original calculation of about 650 total km - 400 for the return trip of Nossob-Mabuasehube-Nossob and a couple hundred km for travel while in the area for a couple days.
We had the same truck this past Feb, just without the camper, and it did get decent mileage.
I know this is probably a stupid (strong word) question, but I just want to know how "stupid" it is - is it just wrong to carry a couple jerry cans inside the camper portion, even if we only fill them say 2/3 full, and empty them just as soon as they will go into the fuel tank ? Would everyone agree on that? I could ask the vehicle provider to reconsider adding something on the outside, but not sure I would be successful here.
As far as reconsidering, and going to Polentswa or Rooiputs, we do have a couple nights confirmed at Polentswa as well. We are really looking forward to Mabua, and would be disappointed if we bailed on it. Our first portion of the trip has:
Nossob
Mpaya
Mpaya
Mpaya
Grootkolk (if we find we cannot make it, will camp at Nossob)
Grootkolk
Grootkolk
Gharagab
Gharagab
Polentswa
Polentswa

Thanks in advance for your continued feedback and comments. It is great to have such a forum as this!

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:31 pm 

Good evening, Hollydog!
You must not miss Mabuasehube - it's great, and Mpaya is a lovely campsite overlooking the pan. I have done the Nossob - Mabua access route several times, always overnighting at Motopi 1 or 2 (they are eleven km apart.) I think you could do Nossob - Mpaya direct at a push, but Mpaya - Grootkolk is asking a bit too much, rather overnight at Nossob; shower, relax, refuel and have a pleasant drive next day!

I don't know the "fibreglass canopy camper" but would go for the rooftop tent myself. Definitely carry two Jerrycans of fuel, for peace of mind if nothing else. You will use the fuel anyhow.

Feb could be wet, and on the sand that could be an advantage. The first approx third of the access road to Mabua has several sharp dunes to negotiate. Some of the sand is soft and deep. The earlier you negotiate this the better as cool sand is firmer. Also, remember that the access road is two-way traffic. We normally start encountering west-bound traffic around 10h30 so if you can be past the dune section by then you will have greater peace of mind. But keep a sharp look-out!!

Written in envy........

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:14 pm 

Hi Jembo - thanks for the info and encouragement. I think the fuel situation has been resolved, and we are very much looking forward to the Mabua side.
Are you suggesting that the first third from Nossob is perhaps the trickier part of the drive, and beyond there it gets "easier"? We do plan on leaving Nossob as soon as the gate opens, which if memory serves me correctly, is 6am in January.
I write and read many posts and thoughts in envy.....................
(Just makes us try to figure out how to get back there!!)

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:13 pm 

Sorry, Hollydog, been away from the forum for a few days. Yes, the first bit (may be less than a third) of the access road has a few tricky dunes and it does get easier once you are beyond them. You will still find a few patches of deep, soft sand from time to time, particularly a stretch between Bosobogolo and Mpaya, but not long. With your tyres at about 160 Kpa you should be OK and you can always drop them more if you get into trouble. You will enjoy every minute!!