Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: KTP Shops
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:30 pm 

Hi everyone!

I was hoping to get some advice regarding the shops in the park. My girlfriend and myself will be camping for 10 nights in November, so we won't have access to a fridge or anything, apart from maybe a couple of nights if we decide to stay in one of the wilderness camps.

Are we going to be able to buy ice daily from the shops? And do the shops have meat products similar to KNP?

We will probably purchase an esky (coolbox) in JHB somewhere to get us through our trip, but i'm a bit concerned about how we're going to be able to keep everything fresh for that amount of time. Also, any advice as to what size cooler to get?

Thanks in advance all :)

Post subject: Re: KTP Shops
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:08 pm 

You can buy ice at the three main camps - TR, MM, and Nossob. We had no problems while there this past February. We had bought one of the larger coolers, by the time you get a couple bags of ice in there, along with some water/soft drinks for the driving, there is still not very much room left. Never been to KNP, so can't compare meat choices in shops, but can say the quantity in KTP was very limited, particularly in MM and Nossob.
If you are looking at a wilderness camp in November, I suggest you start looking now and check daily for cancellations - looks like KK, Grootkolk and Urikaruus are all booked solid for the month.
You will have a great time, it is an amazing park!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:58 pm 

Hi Ceejay.
If you can get into the wilderness camps,all the units have fridge/freezers as do all of the chalets in the main camps.
If you are going to camp without a fridge/freezer and only use a coolbox I would advise that you vacuum pack and freeze solid you first few days meat and bring it with you.
You can pre order from Pick&Pay in Upington and collect on your way through.
Also a good place to get your fresh stuff.Salads,etc.

For the rest of your stay if camping,I would suggest you buy your meat daily from the camp shops.
You could hire a fridge/freezer for your trip but then remember to book a campsite with electricity.

The shop at TR is pretty good and has a reasonable stock of frozen meat and most times some veggies and salad stuff.
Nossob and MM are less likely to have veggies and salad but they do have some frozen meat.Ice is not always available so grab when you can.
Having said that when I was last in MM during March this year the shop was being extended so there may be more on offer.

At MM on the Namibian side,about 500 metres walk,is a shop (Padstal) that sells meat.Well worth a visit for their kudu wors.Just ask the border police if you can walk over.They are normally very obliging.

I will also be there during the early part of November. :dance:
Might see your yellow ribbon.
Enjoy your trip.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:09 pm 

Hi enrico, honeydog, thanks for the great advice! It's all a lot clearer now :)

Unfortunately we won't get a chance to stop in Upington on the way through. We're planning on going via Vanzylsrus as we want to visit the Kahahari Meerkat Project. My other half is slightly addicted to Meerkat Manor, so she has insisted we go there! But that also means that we miss yout on a good opportunity to stock up on goods before entering the park. I'm assuming there's probably nothing between there and TR? We will get all of our dry goods in Joburg i guess, and maybe a few days worth of meat in Kuruman, if they sell it vacuum packed. Hopefully the shops in the park will have enough stock to keep us braaing daily - it's half of the fun when camping!

Thanks for the advice about Padstal enrico. Sounds great, and will definitely pay them a visit. And I'll remember to tie the yellow ribbon on the car so u can say hello!I'm sure i'll have a cold beer in the esky for you :)

Well excited about going to KTP. I've wanted to go for years! Finally the time has come :D

I'm keeping an eye out for accommodation in Grootkolk and Urikaruus as they seem like great places to visit. Fingers crossed something comes up between now and then. Is Kalahari tented camp worth a stay? It seems quite close to Nossob.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:41 pm 

Hi Ceejay.
Accommodation at Grootkolk and Urikaruus is very hard to come by.
Just keep checking the availability as cancellations do occur.
Rarely but they do happen.

As regards Kalahari Tented Camp it is situated about 4kms from Mata Mata.
It is actually a long way to travel to Nossob,although it may appear fairly nearby on the map.
Travel via Bitterpan is one way from Nossob with a compulsary overnight stop at Bitterpan en route to Mata Mata.

To get to KTC from Nossob you need to travel via the upper dune road.
About 5 hours at regulation speed.

The other option is to go via Bitterpan from Nossob bearing in mind you need to overnight at Bitterpan and need a 4X4 preferably with low range.

Kalahari Tented Camp is a really nice camp.
Although it is larger than the other wilderness camps it is also unfenced and we have often experienced lion,hyena and cheetah in the camp.
It is also the wilderness camp that you have the greatest likelyhood of getting accommodation.

Wherever you stay has its own unique character.
Enjoy the planning.

Look forward to that cold one. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:11 am 

just before entering the park at 2 R there is a lodge with overnight facilities and a shop
If you contact them in advance perhaps they can have your meat order ready for you
I'll send you a pm

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:32 am 

A month before a booking starts the handicapped accessible units are released to the general public
That's how I got 2 days in KK and Nossob as well as a night in Grootkolk

Keep the faith!!

2/25-27 Kieliekrankie
2/27-28 Grootkolk
3/1 Nossob
3/2 Twee Riveren
3/4 Mopani
3/5-7 Letaba
3/7-9 Lower Sabie
3/9-12 Biyamiti
3/13 Berg en Dal

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:22 pm 

Hello alltogether,
KTP is on our schedule for Feb/Mar next year. About 16 days will be spent in the ZA and the Botswana part.
A big shopping before entering the park is for sure but of course we will have to restock during our stay in the park.
As far as I understood so far TR is pretty well stocked, Nossob is not. We will come through Nossob several times...
Will we be able to buy at least our drinks (water, beer, wine) there?
How about wood or charcoal? Fresh veg might not be likely..?
Best regards
Mabe

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:57 am 

Hi Mabe!
We were at KTP in Feb and passed through Nossob a couple times. I can tell you that water and beer was available, not sure about wine. We were only buying water and soft drinks. Both wood and charcoal was also available. You are correct, there was not much in the line of fresh veggies.
I have read many posts about the availability (reliability) of staples at the camps, but it did not pose any problems for us.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:50 pm 

Thanks hollydog,
That takes away the idea of travelling with a seperate tank truck :wink: