Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Namibian Border Crossing
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If I remember correctly the idea was to stop people using the KTP as a shortcut route between Namibia and South Africa and then put more strain on the infrastructure.

With that in mind the decision was taken to open this border post for nature lovers and thus the twon days overnight concept. As we talk KTP I would imagine that it includes the whole of the park and that means also including the Botswana side.

Hlangana, you will not fall in the category of taking a shortcut through the park and I cannot see why sleeping at Rooiputs will be seen differently. In fact if you entered from Augrabies I get the impression that you will enter at TR, do the customs thing and then go to Rooiputs and on to Mata Mata. You do not need to do Botswana customs in this case.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:59 pm 

So anybody knows some B&B`s on Namibianside close to Mata Mata, which way is the best to go up to Caprivi strip and Victoria falls ?

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:55 pm 

Hi,

I am planning to enter Kgalagadi from Namibia through Mata Mata. I will spend the first night in Kieliekrankie, then have my passport stamped in Two Rivers (entry to Botswana) but sleep at Rooiputs and Polentswa and finally at Gharagab and Nossob each one night. After that I will spend another 3 nights in Mabuasehube Section.

I requested a reservation for the South African camps via email at Sanparks. They replied saying that I would have to spend at least 2 night in South African camps before I can enter Botswana. Even after I protested giving the fact that I am going to spend 8 nights in the park (and 3 in SA camps) and for my understanding one can freely decide on which side to sleep they still would not let me book it this way. I am not even entering South Africa at all.

Is there a new "2 day rule" I don't know? So far I was only aware that one cannot transit the park (not the country) with less than 2 overnight stays.

Greetz
Arne

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:52 pm 

Hi everybody.
In a few days I'm planning to enter the park from Mata Mata gate, does anybody know exactly which time immigration offices will close (is it south African time?), and in case I will arrive to late, is it possible to enter anyway (I've already booked in Mata Mata rest camp for the first night) and perform immigration dues in the morning?

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:04 pm 

Hi all.

Do I have it right: I have 12 days after getting my passport stamped at TR to check out at Mata mata?

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:02 pm 
Guru
Guru

Eddie,

I hope im not to late to answer your question, im just trying to get hold of the Police at the border patrol to get an answer from then. As soon as I do i will post it immediately.

Regards

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:56 am 

Just for what its is worth . . . there is a farmer about 1½km from the Mata Mata gate (on the Namibian side) that offers a small camping facility for such situations . . . you will definately not get stuck. I do have his telephone numer for you should the need be.

arne wrote:
and in case I will arrive to late, is it possible to enter anyway

. . . with the red sand in my shoes . . I'll always return

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:20 pm 

Location: England, previously Rietvlei, Natal - hankering to be back in KTP
Happy New Year, everyone!

We are at the planning stage of our next trip to SA - who knows when that will be be, hopefully early next year - and need some up-to-date info and advice. We will be touring Namibia first, hiring a 4x4 with roof-top tent in Windhoek.
We hope to enter KTFP at Mata Mata and spend at least four days in the park before exiting again at Mata Mata.
We will be travelling out of school holidays. Do you think we will be able to get a camp-site without booking one, and is this permissable? We do not want to tie ourselves down to definite dates!

The excitement is already mounting - hope I survive!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:03 pm 
Guru
Guru

@Expat,

You will be able to enter Mata-Mata; as long as you do go out there again then you do not have to report to Twee Rivieren immigration. What I would suggest since it is a hired vehicle is to get a letter from the company you hire the vehicle from that it would be ok with them that you do take the vehicle over an international border, it would make things just easier for if the SAPD on the S.A. side ask for the letter.

You would be able to get camping but to avoid disappointment try and book in advance.

Hope this helps

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:58 pm 

Location: England, previously Rietvlei, Natal - hankering to be back in KTP
Dear Guru,

Thanks for your very prompt and helpful response! It is much appreciated and your advice regarding the vehicle has been added to my checklist.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:39 am 
Guru
Guru

Only a pleasure. Shout if there is anything else we can help with

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:50 pm 

I know this topic has been covered extensively, but I have just read in The Lonely Planet guide to Namibia that you cannot enter Namibia through Mata Mata. I am now thoroughly confused as we have planned to enter the park at Twee Rivieren, spend 5 nights in the park and then exit through Mata Mata to continue our holiday rafting on the Orange River. Is it possible to do this? Also if anyone has advice on the best route Mata Mata to river rafting in Richtersveld NP (camp on Namibian side) that would be great
Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:58 pm 

The other thing we are unsure about is whether or not we can take alcohol into Namibia through the border post at Mata Mata. We need to supply our drinks for 4 days rafting on the Orange river - gonna be thirsty work! as we are travelling from KTP to Orange River on a Sun not sure where we will be able to pick up drinks.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:45 pm 
Guru
Guru

@Gilly 1

Very warm welcome to the forum, hope you will have a great time here.

You may enter the parl at Mata-Mata from Namibia, no problem there. Maybe you have an outdated book with the old info in. I have confirmed with the SAPD that you are welcome to bring alcohol into the park, as long as they are happy that it would be for yourself and not to sell.

Let us know if there is anything else

Jannie

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:47 pm 

Thanks Guru We are actually wanting to exit the park at Mata Mata into Namibia and not sure about taking booze through that way as then heading down to Orange River on Namibian side. Any ideas on that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next