Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Bordercrossings
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:29 am 

I’ve been browsing through this and other forums, and I’m not sure if I can do the following border crossings on a EU passport:

Richtersveld to Namibia using the Sendelingsdrift pont – and travelling further into Namibia
I've never read anything about customs/immigration

Entering KTP from Namibia via Mata-Mata
Some say you can: Namibian custom/immigration at Mata-Mata + SA custom/immigration at Tweerivieren, the Kgalagadi FAQ of this forum boldly says ‘Tourists cannot enter from the Namibian side’

Any field advice would be welcomed.
Thanks,
Paul

Post subject: Re: Bordercrossings
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hello Paul2,

You can definately enter MataMata from Namibia :thumbs_up:

Quote:
the Kgalagadi FAQ of this forum boldly says ‘Tourists cannot enter from the Namibian side’

This is out of date -- maybe one of the mods could take a look ?

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:33 pm 

Hello Paul2,
As p@m says it is possible now. We did it in July and the C15 road on the Namibian side was undamaged. Enjoy !
yvo

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:37 pm 

Thanks for the confirmation Yvo and P@m!

Paul

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Paul,
You can also look at this thread:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=18345

Post subject: Re: Namibian Border Crossing
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:38 pm 

@Annika: Doesn't matter where you stay the night before, as long as it's in the park (I think 2 nights are required)

@ Friedrich: hope you came right - we saw you on the Mata Mata road (pointed out the wild cat to you - we were in the cruiser) - but for general info the border times are 8am-6pm if my memory serves me correct (we exited at Mata Mata a week ago, albeit at 9 in the morning, and came from KTC). Very quick and painless procedure both sides. Probably 15 minutes all-in.

Note that AFAIK no meat may be transported from SA to Nam - some disease outbreak - new measure as of a few days ago.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:34 pm 

Here is what we found when passing through SA/Namibia/Botswana border posts in August 2009.

At Nakop (SA border post) when passing into Namibia from SA:
1. At the SA police post - the driver had to declare that we had no firearms and, having done so, we were issued a police clearance certificate - no charge. The driver also had to give the license plate # of the 4x4.
2. Customs - they checked to ensure that we had the clearance certificate. They also asked for a complete list of all "electronics" - cameras, computers, binoculars,
ipods, etc. They also wanted the engine # of the vehicle - it is on the registration sticker on the windshield of the vehicle
3. Immigration - passports checked and stamped

At Ariamsvlei (Namibian border post) (when going into Namibia from SA):
1. immigration checked to ensure that we had a letter of permission from Avis to take the 4x4 out of SA and into Namibia - passports checked and stamped
2. At customs, we had to pay R160 (cash only) to take a foreign vehicle into the country - we were issued a permit for the vehicle - the only food question we were asked (and I'm not sure what this says about our appearance ) was how much wine we were carrying - you are allowed 2 litres/person

At Buitepos (Namibian border post) when leaving Namibia and going into Botswana:
They scrutinized our passports and we filled out an immigration form.

At Mamuno (Botswana border post) going into Botswana from Namibia:
1. our passports were checked and we filled out an immigration form
2. As Canadians (who don't need a visa for Botswana), we were granted a 1-month entry permit - 40 pula for two - cash only accepted. We also had to pay a 20 pula wheel tax
- no food questions at the border

At the veterinary/buffalo fences in Botswana (at Kuke and east of Maun) - travelling into cattle areas:
No meat from cloven-hoofed animals (beef, lamb, pork) allowed across the fence - also no fresh milk or cheese - no fresh dairy whatever. Biltong (it is dried not processed) is not allowed. Chicken is allowed, as are any processed sandwich meats. UHT long-life milk is allowed. They searched our coolers and were very thorough. We also had to walk through a pan of chemicals and drive the 4x4 through a trench of the same stuff - don't be wearing sandals!

So, in Botswana, it is when you are crossing at a vet fence from a game area to a cattle area that you are checked. They are trying to protect the cattle from hoof and mouth disease that is carried by wild buffalo.

In SA, Namibia and Botswana, we paid for all petrol with cash - we took cash out of ATMs, although we had difficulty with our BMO bank cards in Botswana.

Hope this helps!

Now perhaps someone can clarify something for me:
In August, we will be staying in Kgalagadi for several nights (having entered at TR) and then travelling into Namibia via Mata Mata. I know that we go through SA customs/immigration at TR when we enter the park. Mine is a time/clock question. When we leave at Mata Mata, the (Namibian) border post opens at 8:00am - I assume that is 8am Namibia time, so 9:00am our (Kgalagadi/SA) time?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hmmmmm....this writing style is vaguely familiar...might it be Lady Canuck entering the forum???

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:54 pm 

My cover is blown! You'll note that I graciously didn't attribute the wine question at the Namibian border post to either you or your DH! I must admit that I first discovered this forum in 2003, joined in 2007 and am now, for the 1st time, posting on a thread.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ha...busted. Welcome to the addictive world of SanParks...note I joined in Jan and have clearly been communicative since!!
Nothing wrong in being cautious...baby steps as they say!
Thanks for not blaming us for the wine question...

Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I see that one can go into Namibia via Mata-Mata as a day visitor. One question...what is there to do/see on the Namibian side? (My Google searches are coming up empty)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:52 pm 

Can anyone tell me if the two nights that one spends in the park have to be spent on the SA side if one is using the Mata Mata gate into Namibia or can one spend a night at say Rooiputs on the Bots side and a night at Mata Mata.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Hlangana,A very warm welcome to the forum
Have a look at the first post of this thread..here I am afraid it is dated 2007, if things have changed, I am sure someone more knowledgable than me will tell you soon.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:11 pm 

Hi Dotty, thanks for the welcome, Have now read the 1st post but still not clear on whether we have to stay on the SA side or whether one can split it. We spent a couple of nights at Rooiputs and Polentswa two weeks ago and loved it and would rather spend one night there and one night at Mata Mata on our way into Namibia. Have already got bookings for Nossob and Mata Mata but thought we would forfeit the Nossob night and stay at Rooiputs instead, also less driving on our 1st day- Augrabies to Nossob in one day is rather a distance and rushed, not enough time to enjoy the surroundings and game.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

there are some other questions and answers further on in the thread You might get an idea there..and check back here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next