SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Namibian Border Crossing
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:16 am 
Guru
Guru

@Gilly1

You will be abl eto take booze through from the S.A. side to Namibia side as long as it is not boxes full as they will decide if it is for your own use or do they think you are going to sell it. Unfortunately I cant get a straight answer out of them to say how many bottles you will be allowed to take with.

Hope it helps

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:54 am 

That's great, thanks.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Gilly1,

According to the Go! Guide to Namibia you are allowed to take 2l wine and 1 l of spirits per person into Namibia. There are shops near Noordoewer where you can buy beer and alcohol and you. The best route will be to connect to the B1 Main tar road at Keetmanshoop where you can also shop for goods. Grunau is a one horse town and I won't bargon to get drinks there although I can be wrong on this one.

Meat can be a bit of an issue and change from time, but when we entered last year at Mata-Mata you were not allowed to take in meat, mealie meal and braai wood.

I am just wondering if you will save much in driving by exiting at Mata-Mata if you plan is to get to the Orange river. You will drive quite a distance on gravel road. I am thinking of the Rietfontein border post as alternative to Mata-Mata. Even Nakop - Ariamsvlei can be quicker considering its all the way on tar and less chance of a flat tyre. KG is the borderpost still open at Rietfontein?

Hope this help you. When will you visit the park and Orange river rafting. The river levels are very high and rapids might even be dangerous to ride. See the thread on Augrabies and photo's place by KG.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:13 pm 

DH and I are flying from the US to JNB then on to Upington, renting a vehicle there and driving to KTP, entering at Twee Rivieren, spending 4 nights at Kalahari Tented Camp and then plan to exit the park at Mata Mata and drive on into Namibia. I have a few questions.

(1) I understand the border post for crossing from the park into Namibia at Mata Mata opens at 8AM -- but is that 8AM South African time or 8AM Namibian time?

(2) Are there any fees we need to pay at the border to enter Namibia or to bring our rental vehicle into the country?

(3) Do we need a tourist visa and if so can we obtain this at the border crossing at Mata Mata or do we need to obtain it in advance?

Thanks for any advice here -- it will be our second time to KTP but our first time traveling to Namibia.

I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine. – Caskie Stinnett

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:01 pm 

@ son godin Thanks for all the info - will definitely look into alternative routes. We have been following the floods with great interest - my husband grew up in Kleinzee and oranjemund on the banks of the orange so familiar territory for him We will be there in April so hopefully all will have settled down by then. will also be stopping over in Augrabies so looking forward to seeing the falls...

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

lisa wrote:
(2) Are there any fees we need to pay at the border to enter Namibia or to bring our rental vehicle into the country?

For the vehicle you need a letter of authority from the rental company to allow you to take the vehicle over the border and Namibia charges a road tax of Namibian $ (=ZAR)200 - payable in ZAR or N$.

I have no idea whether you need a visum and what a visum will cost - SA visitors do not require visas.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:23 pm 
Guru
Guru

Lisa,

I don’t know what happened to my post. I have spoken to the Immigration guys and the informed me the following:

1. Currently they open S.A.time as there is no difference now.
2. Afri-explore did answer that question.
3. If you enter and exit through the same gate then there is no visa required.

Hope it helps

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:10 am 

Thanks all. Since we are entering at Twee Rivieren and exiting at Mata Mata then I assume a visa will be required?

I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine. – Caskie Stinnett

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:39 am 

For those crossing into Nambia take note of the following.

Quote:
OUTBREAK OF FOOT AND MOUTH DISESASE IN KWAZULU NATAL – SOUTH AFRICA

On 25 February 2011, South African Veterinary authorities reported detecting Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) at dip tanks in the north eastern parts of Kwazulu Natal. The outbreak was detected on routine serological testing but it appears that none of the animals are still showing clinical signs.

It is against this background that the Directorate of Veterinary Services (DVS) will implement the following measures:

The import of all cloven hoofed animals (including game) from all provinces of South Africa is hereby banned and all permits already issued are hereby withdrawn.
All imports of meat and meat products, dairy products, hides, skins and trophies from cloven hoofed animals (including game) from South Africa (irrespective of the Province of origin) are hereby banned and all permits already issued are hereby withdrawn.
The import of cloven hoofed animals (including game) and their products in transit through South Africa is hereby banned and all permits issued in this regard are hereby withdrawn.
All farms in Namibia that received cloven hoofed animals from South Africa since 1 January 2011 will be placed under immediate quarantine to allow intensified surveillance by officials from the Directorate of Veterinary Services.
The import of meat and meat products for own consumption (irrespective of whether it is cooked or uncooked) from South Africa is prohibited and veterinary staff at the international borders will ensure that such product is confiscated and destroyed.
Consideration will be given to the commercial importation heat treated products and canned products from approved establishments.

The situation on imports will be reviewed and communicated to the public from time to time as more information becomes available.

Farmers are urged to report any suspicions of disease in their herds and flocks to their state veterinarian. Early detection and early reaction are key to the control of disease outbreaks.

The Ministry looks forward to the cooperation of all producers and importers.

Dr C Bamhare

Acting Chief Veterinary Officer

Post subject: Entering at Mata Mata. Can I exit from TR?
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:59 pm 

Greetings. I saw the post on the two night rule and am comfortable with that.
We enter from Namibia by Mata Mata, (why is that Lendepass crossing not open??Grrrr!)
We can of course return that way.
However as we are heading south, but back into Na, I see there is a border crossing at Reitfontein.
Is it possible to leave KTP via TR, head south and then swing around to leave RSA at Rietfontein?
Or are there "administrative problems"?
If so is it worth the effort?
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Entering at Mata Mata. Can I exit from TR?
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Maxwell,

you can enter at Mata Mata and leave at Twe Rivieren - no problem.

Enjoy your trip.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:08 am 

Thanks Toko. I will go that way out.
I was thinking of how the RSA would react at us having arrived via KTP. We don't need visas but I wondered about the car etc.,
I see a lot of Pans by the road. Are they worth a look?
Any worthwhile sights or wildlife sightings that way? Birds?? All suggestions welcome and we are not in a hurry.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:47 pm 

@ Maxwell

2008 we had done it otherway around entering via TR and leave via Mata mata Therfor shouldn´t it be a Problem, unless you obey the rule. Talking about the rule that you get only an entering Permit if you sleep 2 nigths in the Park.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:12 pm 

We are staying six nights so the rule is ok.
Many thanks. Vielen danke.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:08 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
We often see raptors outside the park, so you should also.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next