Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do-able: car hire/provision/Upington > KTC in 1 day?
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:17 pm 

Can this be done? We are taking the overnight bus from Cape Town, arriving at the Upington Bus station (if on schedule) at approximately 07:30. We will then have to eat breakfast, catch a cab to the airport to collect our rental vehicle, drive to the PicknPay to provision (and buy ice and a cooler there, if possible), then head out to KTP. We will stop at the Kgalagadi Lodge outside the gates to do a final re-provision, check-in at TR, and then (hopefully) proceed to KTC.

Flying from CPT isn't any better, in fact, it's worse, as we would still have to be up very early in the morning to get to the airport, and arrive later in Upington. And it is 4x more costly.

Since we are coming in from the USA we will each have our own suitcase, and between us, a smaller, 3rd suitcase with many dried convenience products (like mashed potatoes, biscuit mix--just add water and cook in skillet over heat-- quinoa and rice mixes, etc. as well as prepacked spice sets) so this will cut down on our shopping time in Upington. Basically we will need to buy meats, fruits & veg, water, dairy.

Also we will need to buy ice and a cooler / coolbox.

Last time in Africa we bought a large blue plastic cooler at Spar in Swaziland, so I am assuming same can be purchased from Pick n Pay....is this correct?

I will not have slept well on the bus so will not be functioning at 100% but hubby, who can sleep standing up (!) will be sharp as a tack and will handle much of the details that day.

Thanks for advice.

Post subject: Re: Do-able: car hire/provision/Upington > KTC in 1 day?
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:38 pm 

Hi kimanjome

Upington to TR is 255km, so to be safe, say a 3 hour drive.

TR to KTC is about a 2.5 hour drive, so to be safe, say 3.5 hours.

If you need to arrive at the camp by the earlier gate closing time of 6pm (you do not say what time of year you are going) you will have 3 hours to do your breakfast, car hire, shopping etc. I think that is really a good amount of time. Upington is not huge, and if you have a list you will know exactly what to buy so not need time to browse around.

One can buy those cooler boxes at most Pick n Pay stores, but I am sure Lion Queen will confirm that for you as she lives in Upington.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:47 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi kimanjome,

At this moment my biggest concern in your scheduled plan, is the "catch a taxi to the airport" part.

There is NO taxi service as you are used to in the USA in Upington. So unless you have made other arrangements with the car hire company, that would not be possible.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:13 pm 

lion queen wrote:
Hi kimanjome,

At this moment my biggest concern in your scheduled plan, is the "catch a taxi to the airport" part.

There is NO taxi service as you are used to in the USA in Upington. So unless you have made other arrangements with the car hire company, that would not be possible.

Well! So, that means once arriving at the bus station, there are no taxis awaiting those passengers on the bus? How do people get around, if they don't have cars? I was under the impression Upington was a city...hmmm...this makes me re-think my plans.

We arrive in Cape Town on a Friday afternoon. We had intended to spend Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night there, then depart @ 15.00 on Monday, on the Intercape bus, to arrive 07:30 on Tuesday morning in Upington.

Can you think of any other way to do this? Thus far our reservations are 6 nights, arriving Tuesday into KTP. We depart KTP the following Monday at 17:00 to catch a flight from UTN>JNB.

Would it be wiser for us to depart Cape Town very very early Monday morning, on the flight to Upington, from whence we would pick up our car, provision, and drive to KTP, staying at TR? This would mean we have only 2 full days (Sat & Sunday) in Cape Town, but we've already accepted that we won't see much of CPT anyway, at least on this trip.

Our dates are October, so gate times a little longer.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:30 pm 

First contact the car hire company and see what they charge to deliver the car to the bus station to meet you there kimanjome. That will be expensive, but an alternative to look at, and save you some time.

I was quoted about R300 for a car to meet us recently (not Upington). But worth looking into?

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:38 pm 

DinkyBird wrote:
First contact the car hire company and see what they charge to deliver the car to the bus station to meet you there kimanjome. That will be expensive, but an alternative to look at, and save you some time.

I was quoted about R300 for a car to meet us recently (not Upington). But worth looking into?

Good idea--R300 is nothing compared to the extra R2500 I would be spending on the flight from Capetown. Will give a call to the car rental agencies.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:23 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
When we arrived at the Upington Pick n Pay, in 2011, to do a big shop before driving to KTP, we had no cool box, so the manager lent us his!!!
Now that's what I call service!!!! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:43 am 

kimanjome,
what airline are you flying into South Africa?
have you already made your booking?

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:55 am 

I am flying British Airways into JNB early October 2014. We spend time in Swazi, Kruger area, and northern area (Mapungubwe), then drive back to JoBurg to take the train to Cape Town, the last week of October. From Cape Town we are trying to make our way to Upington the most convenient way possible.

At the end of our stay--3 Nov--we fly out of Upington via SAA to Joburg, and then onwards back to the USA via British Airways.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:31 am 

If you arrive at 7:30, there is no reason why you should not make it to KTC. PnP probably only opens at 8 OR 8:30 AM. Time saving tips

Car rental delivery to bus-stop as mentioned OR pre-organise the bus to drop you off at the Airport, it is highly likely that the bus will go right past the airport
Divide and conquer - one person does shopping, one person goes and gets the rental
Contact PnP in Upington and pre-order your shopping list - they will vacuum pack your meat and pack your stuff ready for delivery

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:37 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
PnP Upington shopping hours 7 AM to 8 PM 7 days a week.......... :dance:

Andrew, I'm sorry to say, but the bus does not go right pass the airport........actually coming in on the other side of town.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:54 pm 

kimanjone,

Too bad that you are flying BA. If you had gone with SAA, you could get add on fares for approx. $75.00 per segment.
Further, an international flight with SAA you could use Joburg as a stop over, visit Kruger & Swazi etc, drive back to Joburg & fly to Cape Town at no additional cost. You can then get add on fares to Upington & onward to Joburg relatively cheaply.

Going via BA, unless you have a reason to go through the UK, adds a day. If I remember correctly, there is a rather lengthy layover in London.
If you go with SAA through either Washington or New York, you go straight through to Joburg.
New York may be a bit of a problem since the flight leaves late morning but the Washington flight leaves in the afternoon which should give you plenty of time to get there from Sarasota.

May be a bit late to modify flights but handy for the future.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:37 pm 

nighthawk2 wrote:
kimanjone,

Too bad that you are flying BA. If you had gone with SAA, you could get add on fares for approx. $75.00 per segment.

Going via BA, unless you have a reason to go through the UK, adds a day. If I remember correctly, there is a rather lengthy layover in London.

May be a bit late to modify flights but handy for the future.

Great information for upcoming trips. On this trip we are using BA Avios points, it will be our first and probably only time to fly First on BA and use the Concorde Room (with private cabana) for our long layover, all something we would never would do if we had to pay cash!

New question: In the reverse order, I am assuming we can make KTC to Upington airport (where we drop off the rental car) to catch our 17:20 flight to JNB? We will not have to provision, just stop at TR to re-inflate tires, possibly grab a bit to eat. Yes?

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:19 pm 

You've got plenty of time.
You can do a short game drive up to Melkvlei or up to Auchterlonie in the morning.
Take an easy drive to Upington, perhaps visit the Orange River Winery if time permits.

Try to see Sokkies at the airport. He is usually wandering around & is very friendly.