Skip to Content

Kgalagadi camp sites - are they shaded

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld

Moderator: hilda

wayneman

Kgalagadi camp sites - are they shaded

Unread postby wayneman » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi
We are spending a week in the Kgalagadi at the end of April this year. Can't wait as its my first time there.
I'll be spending the first night at Twee Riviering, then 2 nights at Nossob, 2 nights at Mata Mata and 1 more night at Twee Riviering. We will be camping for the entire duration.
What are the camp sites like in terms of shade. Is there a lot of shade and trees to shelter us from the sun?
Is it very necessary that I invest in an awning. I was thinking of getting a few tent poles, ropes and a fly sheet???

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)

Re: Kgalagadi camp sites - are they shaded

Unread postby anne-marie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:28 pm

I think in the three "big camps", camping will be not difficult to find some shade :thumbs_up:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Re: Kgalagadi camp sites - are they shaded

Unread postby wanderw » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:43 am

@wayneman - All the 3 main camps have degrees of shade at their campsites. TR - also has some structures with a 'reed' ceiling for those campsites that do not have shady trees. Mata Mata and Nossob have more trees and you should be able to get a shady spot, unless you are going when the camp is very busy. A lot of the 'shade' trees are thorny trees, so take care.
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

F2/2014

Return to “Arid Parks”