Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mokala
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:50 am 

Hello
We shall be visiting Mokala for the third time in mid March staying at Mosu for 5 nights. The last visit was in Nov 2009 and it was not overrun by visitors. Judging by the messages I suspect that Mokala is no longer a "secret".

The restaurant served the best food we have ever had at any of the sanparks we have visited and although we normally rely on self catering in the case of Mokala we are happy to use the restaurant.

The animals seem to be more cautioüs of vehicles than at e.g. KNP, maybe due to the hunting history in the area but still plenty of good sightings.

I saw my first "free range" black rhino there.

I can only recommend a visit.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:01 pm 

Hi Stoffel,
Our brief stay at Mokala - Lilydale was fantastic. The camp is so peaceful and the staff so very helpful. We unfortunately took the wrong turn and landed up at the Mosu gate - not that it was a problem as the drive was good and we saw many antelope on the farms along the road - Sable, Kudu Tessebe, Eland, Wildbebeest and Buffalo. We were given directions to Lilydale and even before we arrived at Lilydale, we received a call from reception (Bronwyn) to check if we had found the correct route. On arrival she was so friendly and helpful and even organised a meal from the restuarant which had already closed. There was such a storm brewing so it would have been miserable trying to braai in the rain. We were too tired to drive around so just sat back on our patio and enjoyed sundowners, birds and the storm. We departed early in the morning en route to Jhb. I really was very impressed with Mokala and we will definately make plans in the future to spend a few days - both at Lilydale and Mosu. Cheers.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just returned from my fourth visit at Mosu. On both nights only three units were occupied. And I agree 100% with your comments on the restaurant. Surely the best I have experienced in any National Park - but it is still run by Sanparks itself.

The black rhinos are still eluding me in Mokala.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:35 pm 

Good to know that the restaurant is fine, thanks!
Then we don´t have to buy to much stuff at the first days of our holidays...

There will be enough self-catering at KTP and Tankwa Karoo later this holiday...

I am very excited to visit Mokala for 3 nights!

Greetings from Cologne
Ingrid

Post subject: Mokala - dangerous creepies with a 3 year old
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:47 am 

Hi there everyone. We leave for Mokala on Saturday and I have a few questions that the lodge have not been able to answer. I have a very active 3 year old who will be joining us and I have a few worries about the following:
1. Ticks. Did anybody encounter ticks and what kind are they? The bigger black ones or the very tiny, sometimes pin-head size, red ones? I will spray his clothing with Bayticol but would like to know what I am in for.
2. Snakes. Did anybody encounter snakes around the camp site and what species should I be looking out for?
3. Scorpions. What types, big pincers or small pincer types?
4. Any other dangerous creepies that I should be aware of.
Medical care is 90 minutes drive away in Kimberley so I don't want to take any chances here.

Post subject: Re: Mokala - dangerous creepies with a 3 year old
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:53 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The thickness of the tail determines the scale of danger. The thicker the tail, the more poisonous.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:20 pm 

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am just not looking forward to this trip at all. I am so worried about taking my 3 year old and the Jurgens XT120 trailer we bought arrived home today and the drawer slider system is not up to scratch i.e. the ammo boxes they supplied don't actually fit the drawers, the fridge slider is grating, DH reminds me that we don't have a way to charge the battery box running the fridge and it will last at max 2 days and we are booked for 7, we are all recovering from bad colds and coughs and I have been reminded that should he get tick bite fever it generally turns into incephalitis in small children - so actually what is left to look forward to? Think staying at home is a better plan.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Orangek - Don't get down in the dumps - life has a way of spitting in our eye - especially after the disappointment with your problems with the trailer.
Mokala is beautiful and just the place to recapture the joy of living.

We saw non of the creepy crawlies you mentioned (I am sure they are around- but are more scared of us than we are of them) - nor did we have problems with tics - do not let the world get you down - Normally when we don't look forward to something we have the best time ever.

If the worst comes to the worst - I am sure you will be able to charge your battery at reception if you take a battery charger with you. When we were there - I had my freezer plugged into a power point at the office during the day to save on our battery.

get away from it all and have a wonderful time.

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:55 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
The thickness of the tail determines the scale of danger. The thicker the tail, the more poisonous.

Easier way, and a little more sure is to look at the pinchers. Thick ones will only hurt, thin ones are the baddies. (Especially if you have nothing to compare this is a surer way.)
Both kinds are usually not active during the day as they will be easily seen by birds, and eaten. Just don't start turning over bricks and deadwood. Bit difficult to tell a 3 year old, especially as all boys want to walk around with a stick. So maybe make sure you give him one?

During the night they are active, but very easily spotted with a UV lamp. (They light up underneath UV, see here.)
But I guess that won't be a problem as the little one will be asleep or at least in bed by then?

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:37 pm 

Thanks everyone for the kind replies. My son now has an ear infection so we have decided to postpone this trip and go somewhere closer. There is no medical care close by so I just don't want to risk it. Have spent the entire day sorting out the trailer only to cancel everything at 18:30 this evening. Anyway, herewith some info - bought a solar panel from Current Automation in Kya Sand for half the price of another National Luna battery box. It comes from Germany and you can buy a carry bag in camo for it to protect it. It will easily run our 80l Engel plus some. Anyway, will have to give it a "shake down" closer to home

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I hope you keep Mokala on your list of "to do's". Although I have never camped there, I visited the park quite regularly during the past year and a half (day visits and three stay-overs at Mosu Lodge). This is surely one of SANParks' gems - surely the diamond of the Northern Cape. The new Motswedi camp site is presently being built. This will offer a bit more luxury than Haak-en-Steek as Motswedi's campers will each have their own little ablution facilities.

Post subject: Re: Mokala NP: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:08 am 

Trying to extend my annual 'break' in July; if I succeed I'm thinking of driving the longer route to KTP with stopover in Karoo and Mokala after that perhaps Witsand and off to KTP ending in Augrabies
If I only have one night, coming from Karoo NP which camp would you recommend to stay in to experience Mokala.
Looking forward

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Jonkers

I stayed at Mosu lodge twice this year (in the self catering lodges) and I was not disappointed. The camp is abou 6km from the main gate (21km of gravel road from the N12 tarred road) and I had easy access to all the roads within the park. The Kameeldoring loop as well as the Doornlaagte loop road within park were closed in February 2011 but both were open during my last trip in the end of March after some upgrading (evidence visible).

I heard they are working on a road to connect the area where Mosu lodge is and Lilydale but to my knowledge it is not yet open. I did use all four roads (Kameeldoring, Doornlaagte, Matopi and Tsessebe loop) on my last visit with nice gaming opportunites. Like I said on the other site - if you are into birding (especially small birds), Mokala is just the place for you. It seems like the brds love cameras - opportunites all over the place. There is even a very nice bird hid on a dam for your convinience. I am still not familiar how to post pictures on this site - the reason why I haven't posted any pictures yet.

I can recommend Mosu camp (only lodges are available - no camping facilties) without any hestitation. There is even a restuarant available though we didn't use it. Just the old fasion "braai"
every evening on the standard SANPARK braai equipment was more than enough for us.

See my other comments on another Mokala topic (the road conditions).

Enjoy it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:42 pm 

Hi Jonkers
Mokala is a little gem. We were there in March 2011
Check this out

Unread postPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:20 pm 

Hi, we are back from South Africa and we had 3 wonderful nights at Mokalas Mosu Lodge.
We booked one of the two Luxus Executive Suites with direct view to the waterhole, but the grass was very high after the good rainy season. The Restaurant was very good.

Mokala is a beautiful park with a very green Landscape and a lot of wildlife. We saw 4 Rhinos, a herd of Buffalos, Zebras, Giraffe and min. 12 different antelope species: Roan, Impala, Blesbock, Bushbock, Red Hartebest, Tsessebe, Eland, Steenbok, Duiker, Spingbok (also a black one) and Kudu.

Last week I finished the Mokala Part of my website.

Sorry, Text is in German only (to much work to translate everything), but there are many photos on 6 pages: Mosu Lodge, Animals und from the different Loops: Matopi, Tssessebe, Kameeldoring Loop
and Doornlagte Loop.

http://www.ingrids-welt.de/reise/sa/html/mokala.htm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next