SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mokala
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Please can somebody help me.
We are going to Mokala during december 2010, im looking for a good quality park map with roads on, we will be staying at Lilydale Rest Camp.

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I don't believe there is any other map presently available than the hand-drawn one given to visitors at Reception.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:03 pm 

@ louis dreyer: Maybe Google Maps helps. The satelite resolution from that area seems to be quite good.
I guess this might be Lilydale (in a few weeks I can tell you for sure :D )

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:44 pm 

Stoffel, thanks for your help. Your description gives us a pleasant anticipation of Mokala.

btw, "diamond": On the satellite photos of the park at Google Maps, it's possible to see a lot of circles in the north and northwest of the park, on the banks of Riet River. I guess they might be diamond pits.

Can anyone confirm that? And help with some information? Is that still a mining area?
We're going to be there in some weeks. Anyone needs diamonds...?

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:11 pm 

MH-Bear

To the best of my knowledge these are irrigated fields used to grow e.q. corn or wheat in this bonedry area. They use a kind of arm with water sprayers circling around a fixed point in the the centre of the circle. We have seen such installations overall the centrel and northern part of SA during our previous trips to SA (next to come in 10 months only)

You are going to visit Mokla? The best decision you could have made: we have seen the bigger SAN Parks in the North and centre, but Mokala is truly amongst our favourites: rather small scale and top class staff (from restaurant to reception and the field guides)

A, fellow European:

Papadoc,

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

im going there this month. its going to be my first time. Very excited

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ossendryver

You'll enjoy Mokala. The area around Kimberley is world-renowned for its diamonds. But it will even become more and more famous because of the the biggest "diamond" ever to be found in the region lately - namely Mokala. I'll be in Mosu Lodge again on 7 & 8 December.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We were once again privileged to visit Mosu Lodge in Mokala National Park on 7 & 8 December. This was our third 2-night stay-over at Mokala and I visited the park on three different day visits. I said before that I am mad about Kruger, love Kgalagadi, adore Karoo, gets nostalgic about Bontebok .... but Mokala has something special that I struggle to describe.

Nevertheless, we arrived on quite a hot day. On our way between the main gate and Mosu, this was one of the first guys to greet us.

Mosu is really something special. Full points to Sanparks to change most of the accommodation to self catering units.

On our late afternoon game drives we saw lots of game. Mokala has some great kudu bulls like this one.

We were quite excited when we found our first ever white rhinos in the park. Even in our "Vaalbos days" (the deproclaimed park that was replaced by Mokala) we never saw rhinos. Oh well, the blackies are still eluding us.

This mother and child also came to say 'hello'.

We were also fortunate to find the "big" herd of buffalo.

And these little fellows really enjoyed the buffaloes' presence.

Seeing Mountain Reedbuck was also a first for us in the park. This ram has a bit of a deformed horn.

Mokala has a good population of eland. This one is an exceptional big bull.

We saw lots of Tsessebe with calves, but unfortunately never in a position to take photos. But the red hartebeest bulls must have had a feast of a time during the mating season.

We also saw blesbok, blue wildebeest, warthog, common duiker, impala, gemsbok, Burchell's zebra, roan antelope, steenbok, scrub hare, ground squirrel, waterbuck & nyala. The latter two still have to be removed. They stayed behind when Sanparks took over Winterhoek Safari Lodge - a hunting farm.

I dropped in at Lilydale Lodge. The two parts of the park are now joined, but a lot of work still has to be done before one can drive from the one lodge to the other within the park's boundaries. Presently it is still a long drive back via the N12. But the Lilydale area (the small part that I saw) is not nearly as scenic as the main part of the park where Mosu Lodge and Haak-en-Steek are situated.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Was there on wednesday. It was incredible. We woke up to watch the waterhole we saw a herd of buffalo drinking and no fence so I was a bit nervous but it was amazing. But we saw five white rhinos. We saw a giraffe mourning her dead calf. We saw lots of others. I had so much fun.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:34 am 
Guru
Guru

@Stoffel,

Stunning pics, glad to hear you have had such a great time.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Agree, stunning pics Stoffel - and a stunning Park as well - Well done to Management and Staff at Mokala!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:34 am 

Hi there,

we are going to visit Mokala in March first time and are realy exited...pictures in the forums create big expectations !

Can anybody tell me about the best access from western direction (at the parks homepage I found only the directions from Capetown or via Kimberley).

Many thanks in advance,

Gert

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wild Dog Fan

From where will you be coming from the west?

No matter from which direction you're coming - it will be best to join up with the N12 (National Road) that runs between Kimberley and Hopetown. Then drive either in a southernly direction from Kimberley for approximately 55 km or a northernly direction if coming from Hopetown for 65 km before you get the turn-off to Mokala (that is if you are going to Mosu Lodge) From the turn-off (from the N12) it is another 21 km gravel road to the park's entrance gate and a further 5.5 km to Reception.

During my last visit I approached the park from Douglas (via Plooysburg), but it is quite a lot of gravel road travelling with poor (if any) road signs to the park.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:11 pm 

Hi Stoffel -

thanks for the quick and comprehensive response.

As we are driving a sedan car, at the end of the day N 12 looks like the best option.

Thanks a again, and a happy new year for you !

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am interested to hear how you experienced Mokala.

I am also leaving Sunday (23 Jan) for Mokala again. We'll be sleeping over at Karoo National Park on Sunday and be in Mokala Monday and Tuesday. It will be our fourth stay in Mosu Lodge since last year January. I am fortunate to visit customers in Modderrivier from time to time and use the opportunity to combine work and pleasure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next