Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lilydale rest camp at Mokala?
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forums!

I think you will have found this photo?

It looks like a nice view.

SANParks does a great job at maintaining their camps and bungalows etc. Mokala is the newest park, so I imagine that the camps are totally perfect.

Unfortunately not many people on the forums have been to the park yet, so getting the info is a little difficult.
Johannes (the person that made this photo) is a forummember so he may find this topic and fill you in. I hope.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Camping at Mokala
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:41 am 

Hi all

En route to the KNP from Cape Town we are considering spending a night at Mokala in December. We are geared for camping on this trip so would like to know if any forumite has camped at Mokala and any info on it would be much appreciated?

Post subject: Re: Camping at Mokala
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Pathfinder

what a wonderful idea. I have been reading so many great things about Mokala that I really want to spend a night or three camping.

Naomi C has written on Mokala in her latest trip report, "I wish we could have stayed longer". She has also included pictures.

Maybe a mite clever than myself can provide a link

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

here you are a link to naomic's trip report

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:47 pm 

Yes, you can camp at Haak en Steek camp. There's one rustic chalet there and 5 campsites. No electricity, no kitchen or cooking facilities, but there are gas geysers and one toilet and one shower each for men and women, fairly basic but certainly not sleazy. The campsite has a stunning setting overlooking a small waterhole - or at least it did in January last year when we were there, but there was talk of relocating the campsite at some point. Whatever you do, don't miss Mokala. The staff are very friendly and going on a night drive there will hopefully give you a chance of seeing an aardvark up close and personal. And of course the Kalahari thornveld is just beautiful.

Post subject: Mokala - Info
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We had the privilege to spend our second two-night stay in Mokala (Mosu Lodge) this year. This wonderful park been described similarly and I second the opinion that this is the new jewel of South Africa's National Parks. I also visited the park on four day visits since it opened.

The 21 km of gravel road from the N12 to the park's entrance gate has surely improved since my first visit, but in my opinion it is still not suitable for a conventional caravan. But the "fun" starts as soon as you leave the N12. Most of this road is af you are driving through a corridor with game farms on both sides. Last Thursday we saw sable, kudu, blue & black wildebeest, impala and zebra before we reached the park's border fence. On the last 4 km (with the park now on your right-hand side) we saw our first ever eland in the park as well as buffalo.

There was a huge difference between our January visit earlier this year and this last visit. Everything was lush and green in January and we were travelling with our air conditioner switched on. This time we could hardly see anything green and we drove with the heater switched on. In January big parts of the roads within the park was muddy. This time it was very dusty - especially in the northern part of the park.

We saw a lot of game, but the rhinos (black & white) are still eluding us. But we could tick off kudu, blue wildebeest, eland, buffalo, steenbok, springbok, impala, tsessebe and roan.

This time we could not get accommodation in one of the self-catering units - in spite of the fact that (except for two units) all the non self-catering units are changed into self-catering units at Mosu. We had dinner in the restaurant on our first night and breakfast on both mornings. I don't have word to describe the great experience we enjoyed everytime we visited this superb restaurant. The hospitality manager (Susan) and her crew (Paseka, Nicky, Lydia and others) are the best. I had their rack of lamb and my wife ordered the venison pie. Fantastic!!!

On both mornings I had the 'Mokala Breakfast' and my wife enjoyed the omelette. Talking abourt a great breakfast!!!

The second night we used our mini weber. While sitting outside, Nicky and Lydia came around with some freshly baked mine bread loafs which were offered to everybody not having dinner in the restaurant - just to persuade visitors about the nice things the restaurant has to offer.

The restaurant in Mokala is operated by SANParks itself. And you cannot compare a dining experience in this restaurant with restaurants in Kruger for instance. You can see that the personnel in this restaurant still have in pride in their job and what they are offering the client. How I wish that SANParks can revert back to the old days when it was still an experience to eat in their restaurants. Keep it up Mokala - you are doing great.

Some great news I received during my visit is the fact that the remaining private lasnd that devided the main park area and Lilydale to the north, was eventually bought by SANParks. They are now busy making the road between the present game area and Lilydale.

Another piece of news I received was that a tree house was built in a big tree (I guess it will be a camel thorn tree) overlooking a water hole. It will soon be available for reservations.

Building of the new Motswedi camping area will commence rather soon.

If you have not been to Mokala yet you surely have a "to do" on your list of places to visit in South Africa. I can only compliment Deon Joubert (Park Manager) and the rest of his personnel for what has been done in Mokala up to date. I am fortunate that I have to work at Modder River (between Mokala and Kimberley) from time to time. I found fantastic accommodation and restaurant facilities nearby - name Mokala.

Post subject: Re: Mokala - Info
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:22 pm 

Hi Stoffel, thanks for sharing your experience at Mokala with us We are very keen to visit the park during our September holiday, we will be touring with our conventional caravan and we were told that the road is fine, but now are feeling worried after your comments on the road We now feel very unsure about what we should do. Is it really bad, even if we take it really slowly?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Toktokkie

If you are prepared to travel real slowly, you'll make it with a conventional caravan (however, I will not do it with mine). 21 km to the entrance gate is a long way to travel at 20 - 30 kph (the speed I would travel). From the entrance gate it is another 6 km to Reception (quite corrugated) and then another 10 km to Haak-&-Steek (not bad, but not the road I would like to do with my caravan).

I will love to camp at Haak-&-Steek, but rather with my tent -although my wife is not very keen on it. She reckons the facilities are too basic for her taste.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:38 am 

Thanks for the info Stoffel, definitely will not risk the trip in our caravan then, have no desire to refit the whole interior, as people we know had to do ater travelling on a gravel road, all their "built in" cupboards ended up on the floor, including the fridge!! Also not too keen on tenting, so will camp nearby and spend a day travelling in the park. Really looking forward to seeing somewhere new!!

Post subject: Mokala
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:49 am 

Hi
Need advice re staying in chalets at Mokala? Where are the best birding spots? What is the accommodation like? Which is the best camp to stay at? Planning a trip at end October. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Mokala
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Neecie,
Check out this index here for Trip reports about Mokala (with photos )Hope this helps

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:44 pm 

Thank you Dotty for your comprehensive info - a great help! We are looking so forward to our visit to Mokala at the end of October.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Neecie

Mokala is the "diamond" of the Northern Cape. You will enjoy the park. We've stayed in Mosu Lodge on two occasions and I visited Mokala on three day visits. It's a great place with wonderful personnel. And try the restaurant in Mosu at least once - either breakfast or dinner.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Neecie thanks for asking the question and Dots - thanks for the links to the trip reports - read them all. We are sadly only spending one night at Mokala on our trip up to Kruger - and now having read the TR's - I wish I had planned better. We had originally opted to camp but the entire campsite is booked out on the weekend that we are travelling up - so have booked a chalet instead. I just know that we are going to be missing out on so much in that our stay will just be an overnight stop - would have loved to spend more time in the Park. Oh well, maybe we can plan a Karoo NP, Mokala NP and back to Karoo NP trip for another time!

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:55 pm 

Neecie,

You will be staying at our favourite San parks spot! Mokala is a wonderfull place to be.

We stayed in the "luxury Bungalows" close to the perimeter, which was a nice place to be, with good view on a drinking place for eland and buffalo. We are no birders that much so we cannot give you an advice on birding in particular. We saw quite some in the park.

You surely will enjoy every minute of your stay!

For us, close to a year until we return to Mokala: way too long (sigh!!!)

Papadoc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next