Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mokala Park
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You surely can, but I certainly will not do that with my conventional caravan. An off-road caravan? Absolutely yes!

I sometimes go to Bontebok with my conventional caravan, but the less than 10 km from the N2 to Lang Elsieskraal takes me about just as long as the 150 km to the turn-off at Swellendam. Maybe I pamper my van too much.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:36 pm 

Naomi c
I was just reading about you wanting to take your caravan to Mokala. We were there yesterday and I must say that knowing your caravan and tow vehicle, If you could get it to Mapungubwe then you can get it to Haak en Steek campsite. We drove all the loops at Mokala and saw many different kinds of sedans on the roads. The road to the park from the tar road is about 25km of good gravel road. There was the odd area which was a bit rough but if you take it easy then it should be fine. I met an elderly man from Kakamas who was absolutely enthralled with the park and he was driving an old merc which he said handled all the roads with no problems. He told me he had been to the waterhole near the campsite as well. We did not go right up to the campsite but I would be very surprised if the road was any different to all the others. The park itself is absolutely beautiful, the only problem was the lack of animals. I was told that there had been some game capture going on the previous week, and also that it was previously a hunting farm? The animals which we did see, except the buffalo, all ran off at high speed when we approached them. Even the ostrich made a bee line for the horizon! But as mentioned, we were very happy to see buffalo. We stayed in a lodge nearby called Lilydale Lodge which will become part of Mokala apparently. It does not appear on the website yet but if you phone a lady called Patricia at Mokala itself, she will help you. It has twelve two sleeper self catering units and the setting is lovely. It overlooks the Riet river. The staff are very helpful. We saw a few Gemsbok and Red Hartebeest and these did not run away.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:32 pm 

Mokala is a lovely park and I am sure you will see roan there. I've been there a few times and everytime lucky with roan sightings.

You can drive there with a normal sedan vehicle but I'm sure as many "game spotters" will agree.... the height from a 4x4 or riased vehicle is better. Heavy rain can also influence the road conditions...

Mokala staff - the best!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:22 am 

Mokala is excellent, really beautiful "little" park and it's a must-see if you're near Kimberley in my opinion. I've had a great Sable antilope sighting there but I think they have moved them out by now. Keep a sharp eye out for rhino's, they're actually easy to miss. After a long day's driving we saw three taking a nap in a dry riverbed...

And the roads are definitely suitable for sedans.

Rudolf - Former GVI Volunteer 2007

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After hearing about this park. And living in Bloemfontein. I got very excited and now we are definitely wanting to visit during the september holidays. However, is there still only one chatlet at the haak en steek camp? Are there sightings boards? Any bird hides or picnic spots? Also, will polo gti survive in the park for a couple of days? The park sounds really great and im sure after our first visit we will make very regular trips there and come back with some TR's.

Just need to clear up these questions before making reservations.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:50 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Mark,

Mokala is a great park and you will really enjoy it!

To answer your questions:
Haak en steek camp is very small... just one 'rustic' cottage (with 2 sleeping areas - for 4 people) and the rest is camping spots.
So no office or sighting boards or anything like that. It does have a stunning waterhole infront and when you sit on the bed you look onto the waterhole
Also lots of trees and shade and a nice boma.
Remember this is still a very small and new park, so no unfortunately no picnic spots or birdhides etc.
So you must stock up on everything before you get there (you can buy wood at the offices at Mosu lodge)

And yes a Polo will be 100% - only times when these roads become a nightmare is during the rains, but usually they then close the 'tricky' roads.

Hope you have a great time!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:32 am 

Giraffe wrote:
Hi Mark and Jakkalsbessie,

We are also visiting Mokala NP in September and made reservations for a bungalow at the Mosu Lodge.

In our reservation confirmation it's mentioned that it's not self catering and braai facilities are not available, but that there is a restaurant available.

Hi Giraffe, you will have a great stay Mosu lodge is very nice and yes as you say it is not self catering and have a beautiful restaurant and pool.

Haak en steek camp is only self catering and I must admit that was the only thing that bothered me a bit about Mokala - that there are no 'in between' options or picnic spots... say for instance when in Haak en Steek (like we were) you have to pack lunch or go all the way back to camp to make brunch (or for a 'toilet break').

Mark... maybe you must only book your December week after your September trip
I know you are a true nature lover like me and can probably stay in the bush for long times without entertainment... just saying... Mokala is really VERY small and have limited roads... you can easy drive all the roads in 1 day (don't know if they have new roads now with Lilydale being part of the park).
And in December with all the rains some roads may even be closed... then a week can be very long
Also remember that staying in Haak en Steek you will have to take all supplies with for the week - there is no where to stock up on things like bread etc.
(maybe stay 3/4 days in Mokala and 3/4 days in Augrabies... which is an easy drive from Mokala and also stunning)

I know both of you will have a great time! Mokala is really special and quite different to other SanParks!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks a million for the very detailed info, JB. A great help!

We've decided for a day trip first to have a look around and if good we'll then book a couple of days at Mosu. My mother isnt such a fan of driving around looking for animals, unless we spot a steenbok so i think the park will suit us just fine.

Do you possibly know how long of a drive it is from bloem? 2hrs? 2 and a half?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:38 am 
What is the travelling time from Mokala to PTA?
We have to drive up from George to PTA in September and are considering making Mokala a stop-over (unfortunately only for one night, tho)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:26 pm 

Jumbo,
Just checked on my Mapsource and it looks like its about 620km from Mokala to Pretoria. So you are looking at around 6 1/2 hours or so. The park is about midway between Hopetown and Kimberley. Strangely it still doesn`t appear on the latest version of Mapsource so if you are using a gps you will have to direct yourself according to the information which you will find on the Sanparks site. The turnoff is at Heuningneskloof and it is all signposted.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:02 pm 

MarkWildDog wrote:
Thanks a million for the very detailed info, JB. A great help!
Do you possibly know how long of a drive it is from bloem? 2hrs? 2 and a half?

Pleasure Mark, please ask if you have more questions.
Unfortunately we went via Kimberley so i'm not sure about the distance/time. IIRC Boorgatspook visited from Bloem so maybe ask him?

Jumbo wrote:
What is the travelling time from Mokala to PTA?

I would agree with Dave and also say about 6 to 61/2 hours. Off course depending on the number and lenght of your stops.
Also maybe depending on the route you take... it seems as if they are working on the N12 for ever... between Christiana and Bloemhof we were stopped time and time again and for long periods for all this "stop-go" signs
The route we usually take which is very quite and scenic, and i know you 2 like that is the route via Parys, Viljoenskroon, Bothaville, Hoopstad, Hertzogville to Boshof (this last stretch is gravel but good) and then Kimberley.
just not sure if it will be harvest time that time of year so might be some tractors etc on the road... but otherwise a very nice, good road

Even if just 1 night you will have a great time in this gem of a park

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:54 pm 

Hi Giraffe,

No problem, please ask as many questions as you want
I contacted some people I know travelling through that area and the road works are still in full swing
Also according to SANRAL:
Quote:
National Route N12
Section Christiana to Bloemhof
Condition of Road: Fair to poor and uneven in places.
Comments: Road is being reconstructed and widened on the section between Bloemhof and Beefmaster. 2 Stop/go controls will be encountered with delays of up to 20 minutes. There will be reduced speed limits in place within these areas
Duration of Work Completion: March 2010.

They unfortunately don’t give an e-mail address only a cell phone no, so maybe nearer to your trip I can phone the responsible person and get some up to date info for you Apparently there are some new road works just outside Kimberley (northern side) now as well with 20min waiting periods.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:25 pm 

Giraffe wrote:
The next day we plan on spending the morning in Mokala before we leave for Potchefstroom. And the next day we enter KNP

Yvonne, just thinking about this again, i really don't think you have to worry. Potchefstroom is about 420 - 430 km's from Mokala (roughly) so even with all the road works and stops etc i'm sure this will not take you more than 5 hours. So if you spend the morning in Mokala and leave at 12 or so you will be in Potch before dark

Post subject: Re: Mokala NP: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:30 pm 
We really had a wonderful stay in this park...even if it was for just one night....but this will definitely not be the last visit. We only had time to take a short game drive the next morning and were amazed at all the sightings we had in such a short time. I will post some photos when my life is back to normal again.

JB, thank you so much for the advice on the alternative route between Kimberley and PTA....it was such a pleasure to drive....quiet and scenic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next