Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mokala NP: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:07 pm 

Dear Mokala fans

First of all, the website made by Sabra / Ingrid is really very informative and gives a good view on Mokala, as far as I am concerned the secret jewel of SA and SAN Parks. If you can handle German mostly recommended.

We stayed at Mokala October 2009 and our next stay is booked for September this year. Ingrids site makes us long for Mokala, and elaborates on recent developments, such as new roads, a picknicksite atc.

I can however add something and spread some good news on Mokala thanks to a friend currently working at Mokala, and confirmed by Deon Joubert, the Park manager of Mokala:

first of all they have dropped the fences between Mokala and Lilydale and one can drive from Mosu lodge to Lilydale lodge without going back to the N12 main road which is great!

secondly they introduced the first predators in Mokala: recently they released two Brown hyena in the park as this is natural habitat for them! The hyena are collared, so they can be traced and followed in the park.

lastly in the park they have quite a few rock engravings which is very special and very interesting to see! You can book a rock engraving drive and you will be taken to two sites in the park to view the engravings!

One correction to the site of Sabra: the restaurant is still runned by SanParks under the management of Susan. You 'd better ask her for her nickname herself.

Regards,

Papadoc

Unread postPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Papadic

Thanks for the info.

My plans are to visit Mokala again during the weekend of May 20-22 and stay at Mosu lodge for the third time. Would it be possible to drive from Mosu lodge to Lilydale? I'll also ask at reception and keep the members updated.

Looks like I'll a regular at Mokala as it is only about 1,5h drive from Bloem and I do like the atmosphere and enviroment in and around Mokala. I also realise that Mokala is perfect if one wants a nice weekend breakout from the city.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:55 pm 

WillemK

look forward to your exereinces, but I am assured that one can drive from Mosu lodge to Lilydale without leaving the park, and so without using the detour over the N12.

By the way: you are a lucky man being only 1 1/2 hour drive from Mokala, it takes us ab 10.000 km flying and 600 km driving to get there....
Papadoc

Unread postPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Any body going to Mokala, please send best regards to Tess and Deon from myself and Renee.

The brown hyena's that was released, we've been there when they was still in the boma, we were there when they fitted there collars.

Enjoy this park. 700km from us

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:33 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

On Kyk-Net there was a series called Kook en Kuier Noord Kaap. In the last episode they visited Mokala where they had an absolutely incredible bush braai under an equally incredible camelthorn tree.
During this episode it was mentioned that there are now two camping-areas in Mokala - can anyone confirm this?

Unread postPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As far as i can remember yes.

This is what is advertised on SANparks site.

Haak-en-Steek Camp
Rustic Cottage (1 unit)
Self Catering (braai facility in lapa, gas stove & oven, gas fridge / freezer, kitchen, utensils, cutlery & crockery)
Two sleeping areas (divided by wall), one double bed in open kitchen area, 2 single beds
WC, shower and hand basin
No electricity, no air conditioner

Rustic Camping (5 sites)
Braai facilities in lapa, no electricity, gas geysers, no kitchen or cooking facilities

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:13 pm 

Hi Guys,

I'm gonna be visiting Mokala at the end of June and would like some more info regarding the different drives that are available as well as their prices... If anyone can help me in this regard that would be great!

PEACE

Unread postPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:37 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum OD_1.

I am also intending to visit and need to know;

When coming in from the north, can we go directly to Lilydale, or must we check in at Haak & Steek?

Unread postPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist, when we vissit them during december 2010 we had to book in directly at lilydale.

A few comments back it was mentioned that the fence is down between Mokala and Lilydale so if you book in at the main camp you shouild be able to drive in the park to Lilydale.

My best advice is to phone Tess or the park direct and find out.

Reservations
Tel.: (053) 2040 158 / 164 / 168
Fax: (053) 2040 176
Email: Tess White (Duty/Acting Hospitality Manager)

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Naomi

There is just one camping area in Mokala namely Haak-en-steek with 5 camping sites. No kitchen facilities though. As far as I know.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I just returned from a weekend in Mokala park (May 20-22, 2001) and once again I stayed at Mosu lodge. And once again I was not disappointed. I saw all the game except the black rhino and mountain reebock (I saw a few during my previous visit). I even saw the "grys duiker". And after the good rain reason there are a lot of game especially kudus.

Just feedback on the road conditions:

The 21km gravel towards the gate of Mokala is still in good condition despite the latest rain. I drove at a steady 80km/h with my Fortuner with no problems what-so-ever. Driveable with an ordinary sedan motor

All the roads within Mokala is open and in good condition - driveable with an ordinary sedan motor.

The road between Mosu lodge and Lilydale is open. It is 23km between the two lodge and 14km to Lilydale from where you leave the Doornlaagte and Kameeldoring loop. The road enters the road towards Lilydale 20metres after the Lilydale gate. So, I take one can enter from the Lilydale gate, turn left after about 20-30 mteres and take the nice "game drive" road to Mokala (Mosu and the other lodges/camp) rather than the uninterested 21km towards Mokala gate.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just a follow up - I took a drive from Mokala (Mosu lodge) to Lilydale on Saturday morning. I left Mosu at 06H45, drive around kameeldoring loop and then I took the road to Lidydale. From Lilydale lodge I drove around the Vaalbos loop - the only loop available to drive. Not much game to see, first you drive between bushes for a few kilomteres and then only open savana area with ant-eating chats and Kalahari/Karoo robins keeping you company all the way. I was back in Mosu at around 12H30.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The new Motswedi campsite is nearing completion. It should have been opened by now, but some "problems" were experienced. The turn-off to Motswedi is just a few metres from the Tsessebe Loop junction (towards Haak & Steek).

Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I also saw a pair of mountain reedbuck during my last visit. I even saw the solitary lechwe ewe that stayed behind after SANParks took over. I also saw the one-horned nyala bull during my last visit and two nyala ewes on a previous visit. On our second-last visit we saw two waterbuck. All these animals still need to be removed as it is not natural habitat for them. It was kept for hunting purposes on Winterhoek Safaris - the previous owners of the land.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:31 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Thanks for all the info everyone!
Planning myself to visit Mokala again (very soon), this time not as a day visitor
Does anyone have a updated map of the road network in Mokala?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next