SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Kgalagadi: Getting there and back from Namibia
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hiya there,

actually, I'm planning my next trip to the KTP - this time intending to enter the park from Namibia. Unfortunately, I did not find that much infos (Road Rietfontain to Upington, is that too far??)

Is anyone out there having more experience on that? Lüderitz, Walvis Bay, Skeleton Coast - these are first rough schedules, 2 or 3 days. And then again: KTP for about 10 - 12 days.

Thx in advance,

Christel

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:35 am 

Hi Christine,

Road Rietfontein to Upington is not too far for one day. Only, I do not really understand why taking this road when coming from or going to Namibia.

Maybe you can give us some more info on where you come from before going to KTP and where you intend to go to when leaving KTP.
This way, we can give you some better advise.

Assuming you are coming from the South of Namibia, you may drive from Keetmanshoop either via Koes to Mata Mata or via Rietfontein/Andriesvale to Twee Rivieren. Driving from TR to Luderitz would mean a very long day of driving. No time to stop for the Quivertree Forest or Fish River Canyon.

You are welcome to PM me on more infos about Namibia, next month we will go there for the 5.time, and just like last year in combination with a visit to KTP.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:08 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I used the Rietfontein border post last October. The first stretch of road (40km) on the SA side was badly corrugated, on the Namibia side the road was fine. I can't remember exactly how long it took us to drive from KTP to Rietfontein, I think it was close to two hours.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:34 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

It's 122 kilometers, and that first bit we did maybe 40, I think it was closer to 3 hours. Well, including a stop at Klein Mier to get all the bones aligned properly again and a bit of food.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:54 pm 

I was wondering if it's possible to enter the park from Unions End? Am doing a trip thru Namibia next year, and we have always wanted to visit unions end, and had hoped to enter there thus incorporating Kalahari into our trip? is this possible or is Mata Mata the only point of entry into the reserve from Namibia?
Thanks in advance

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

lovehyena

No, unfortunately Union's End is no option. You'll have to enter via Mata Mata (the only direct entrance into the park from Namibia). But if at all possible, do yourself the favour to travel to Union's End once in the park. It can be done from Nossob (and back to camp) in a day's drive, but it is a long day on the road.

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi: Getting there from Namibia
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:43 pm 

I know you cannot enter KTP at Union's End, but is it possible to enter the park at Mata Mata and then exit the park from Union's End?

I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine. – Caskie Stinnett

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Lisa, there is no border post at Union's End.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
There is nothing at Union's End except a fence on the Nam side and a dry river bed on the Bots side. U-turn is mandatory.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:08 pm 

BB there is something that I read about at Union's End, the yellow ribbon book that you can sign......

I cant remember in wich TR was it, but that is one stop that we are making on our trip.

Post subject: merge to 20944 in index
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:03 pm 

Hi All - breaking with tradition from our usual August Kruger trip to do 3 weeks in Namibia this year, with a week in KTP during it. We are overnighting near Mariental the day before our entry via Mata Mata, and wondered if anyone knew how long it takes to get from there to the gate? Cheers!

Post subject: Re: driving times advice?
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:23 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Katmai

For all practical purposes, you have 3 options (routes) to travel from Mariental to Mata Mata.

Option 1: Travel ± 11km north on the B1 and turn off onto the C20 towards Stampriet (52 km further). This is all on tarmac and should take you about 38 minutes at an average speed of 100 kph. At Stampriet you turn off on the C15 (gravel). 73 km further you'll get to Gochas. Namibia's gravel roads are normally in an excellent condition, but nevertheless I use an average speed of 80 kph for my planning purposes on gravel roads. Therefore, it should take you about 55 minutes to Gochas (from Stampriet) - meaning a total travelling time of ± 1½ hours from Mariental to Gochas (via Stampriet).

Option 2: Take the M29 out of Mariental and join up with the C18 about 76 km further. Another 42 km on the C18 will bring you to Gochas. Being all the way gravel road it should also take you ± 1½ hours to Gochas.

Option 3: Take the B1 south for 61 km (± 37 minutes @ 100 kph). Turn onto the C18 and reach Gochas 110 km further (± 1 hour 22 minutes)

As you can see, either Option 1 or 2 will surely be the better choice (time wise) to reach Gochas from Mariental (± 1½ hours). From Gochas it is another 183 km to Mata Mata on the C15 (gravel road). This should take you about ± 2¼ hours. All in all it should take you ± 3 hours 45 minutes from Mariental to Mata Mata (driving time only - not bearing stops in mind).

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:02 pm 

Great stuff Stoffel! (easier to write than say!) really looking forward to the trip....and being from the UK, the cold should be nothing to be scared off

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:58 pm 

Coming from Mata Mata:
We arrived 17th of April at 16.30 hr at the border of MM……… We had a reservation for the campsite.
And than we had a problem, because immigration close the border at 15.00hr Namibian time. And this is 16.00 hr South African time!!!! Because it was in SA one hour earlier than Namibia..
But the gate on the SA side close at 19.00 hr.
We could walk to the campsite in MM, but we had to leave our camper (Trax) on the Namibian side. But we need the camper to sleep in!
Reservation or not, we couldn’t enter KTP.
I can tell you that we were not so happy
So what ever happened: be sure you are there before 15.00hr!
If not, you have to do the same as we did: (If you sleep in a tent, rooftent or camper. If you have a chalet then you can walk till 19.00 hr in to MM, but you have to leave your car on the Namibian side)
Only 50 mtrs before the border there is a farm on the right side and they opened a little campsite with the name: 'Sitsas' with a simple toilet, shower and a braai. These people told us that every day there were 2 – 3 cars stayed there on there campsite. Most of them were very
Unbelievable, but that is Africa.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:18 am 

Wow! i bet you were NOT pleased with that one Our plan is to leave the place we are staying near Mariental early morning (prob v early) to arrive by late morning at the gate - our first night is in TW in the park, so we still have to drive there too. Thanks for the tips!