Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 376 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Shopping list - what do I need for KTP?
Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:57 pm 

Hi all,

I am very excited about our upcoming KTP trip and I am starting to pack :lol:

I just wanted to seek your advice as to what essential items I should take to the park (we are there in June). Is there anything you wish you'd taken / forgot to take and would advise me to pop in my suitcase or buy on route to KTP.

On this note - do you think we'd be able to buy a cool box in upington (we have cool bags but would struggle to bring a box over from the UK).
Also - what time do the shops typically open in Upington and are there any days or times when they're closed (so we can plan ahead)?

Huge thanks in advance for your help and thoughts
:hmz:

Post subject: Re: Shopping list - what do I need for KTP?
Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Mariek :D Wonder if this topic from the index might have some ideas

Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:11 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Mariek,

P&P is open 7 days a week from 7H00 till 20H00...........the butcheries is mostly open fron 8H00 till 18H00 Mondays to Fridays and open Saturdays 8H00 till 13H00. Don't know what other shops you'll need.

Most of the shops like Game, Checkers etc sells cooler boxes.

You can send me a pm if there is something specific you need or other info you need.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:17 pm 

Marie, you should be able to get a cool box in Upington but we bring our own coolbag from the UK. They can be folded down and don't take up room in the suitcase.

Food stuffs we bring with us - "beanfeast" (SO is a veggie), packets of soup, boil-in-the-bag rice, sachets of chocolate drinks, coffee. We like Catriona's idea of the tortilla wraps so we are going to try that next time.

Camera, binoculars are very important, don't forget the battery charger for the camera. Bird and mammal field guides. A torch will come in handy too.

We tend to save room in the luggage by not taking toiletries - shampoo, shower gel, deodorant, insect repellent etc can be bought when you get there. I'd rather stick an extra book in. I tend to take any over the counter meds with me (e.g. paracetamol, immodium, sudafed), as they can be tricky to pick up in the parks.

One thing that has caught us out on previous occassions in Kruger is the liquor licensing laws. Not sure what the rules are in Upington but you may struggle to but alcohol on a Sunday, outside of the park.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:22 pm 

Thanks everyone, you've been so fantastically helpful.

Dotty - the other thread you signposted is so so helpful.

Less than two weeks to go now! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Marie, one thing we have found useful is a sharp knife, although the knives in KTP have been ok we have been caught out in Kruger so now that is a must have on our list. Head torches are better than a torch and we often hang them around our necks instead of on our heads - works great! In a previous thread I think arks mentions small fruit juices which can double as ice packs - we took her advise and now we use them all the time - so much better than trying to make ice. We buy ice in Upington to last the first day or so and then it is down to the frozen fruit juices ... we buy and average of 2 each per day so the 'ice packs' slowly dwindle. One thing we do lug from the UK is a small lantern - this has been a godsend as it just gives a little more light when braaiing or going to the loo in the middle of the night (plus I like to read before bedtime so it helps here too :D ) The chocolate sachets are a great idea but not sure if you can buy them in Picki 'n Pay (if we are in hotels before our trip we normall 'collect' them :wink: ) This time around we are bringing them with us as last time we ended up having to buy a big tin of chocolate ... which we left behind at the end of our trip. oh, and buy small containers of milk instead of 2pint size and they double up as ice packs too (we normally go for 1/2 litre cartons). Strong tin foil is a must and don't forget the firelighters and lastly, as I said previously, Amarula and hot chocolate is very yummy and a perfect bed time treat - actually Amarula instead of milk is great in coffee too .... especially on those cold mornings (mornings?? hey, I'm still a Saffie at heart!!) Ok, better stop now - I'm rambling!!! :lol: Have a fantastic trip!!!

Trip Reports:
The stuff of daydreams ... - Kruger
Kalahari Dreamin' - KTP
Just What the Doctor Ordered - West Coast, Augrabies, KTP

Post subject: Re: Upington Butchers
Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Mariek, good luck on your planning. Its such an exciting part of the trip! :dance:
When we visited Kgalagadi we contacted the butchers in Upington beforehand, and ordered our various meat products vacuumpacked and frozen, to be picked up when we passed through.
They did a great job and everything was ready for us when we got there. We had great service from them.
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post their details here, but I'll pm you. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi trip
Unread postPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:46 pm 

Thanks so much. I will use every ones info and KG also gave good advice.

Counting down the days ... :clap:

June 2013
23 + 24 Kalahari Tented Camp
25 + 26 Mata-Mata Restcamp
27 - 30 Nossob

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi trip
Unread postPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:13 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
:hmz: There is probably not enough time to do a loop of 2R - Auchterlonie - KijKij - 2R

Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:12 am 

Hi MarieK,

We are getting ours in the PnP in Upington. As we land on Sunday (yippee) we are putting our order in today through our 4x4 rental.
I'm going to Hijack your thread for a second with a relevant question for both of us.

Do you get Boerewust (sic) frozen or should we just get it vaccum packed. We are wondering how long it would last if vaccum packed? We would need it to last 8 days.
Apart from that we are going to get the first 3 days meat vaccum packed and the rest frozen. This will be a mixture of lamb chops (cheers p@m), fillet steak and steak pieces for a stir fry. My wife was enquiring about Ostrich steaks but I don't know if it is ethical or even allowed to bring game meat into a national park so I think we'll stick to the beef, lamb and pig.

31st: Mata Mata.
1st to 3rd of June; Nossob.
4th: TR.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:19 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
If vacuum packed and frozen it will last longer.

Just ask them to vacuum pack the boerewors too...........we usually ask them for x amount of pieces 15 cm long per pack............depending on how many people you are and if you want some cold boerewors for the next day as padkos.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:45 am 

Thanks Lionqueen,
We'll ask them to vac and freeze everything including the Boerewors so. Thanks. for the tip. We'll bring a freezer bag in our luggage and ask the PnP to put some juice boxes in the freezer along with our meat order. Plus we can wrap everything in newspaper. We have a fridge in the car but I'm unsure what size.
Looking at the weather forecast it looks nice and warm so I don't think we'll have any problems defrosting the days meat supply in the car.

31st: Mata Mata.
1st to 3rd of June; Nossob.
4th: TR.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:52 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I'm not sure what your idea of nice and warm is...............this morning in town minus 2..........and at this moment 12.............this is not my idea of nice and warm............... :tongue:

What I do to defrost the meat............put some hot water into kitchen sink............put meat in and with in anything between half an hour to an hour your meat will be defrosted, depending on the cut and how much you need to defrost. When water cools down and meat is not defrosted, just repeat the process.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Marie

You must be excited about the trip!

One thing to also remember - stock up on mineral water in Upington! You will find water in the park is expensive and the tap water is yuck-yuck...

:mrgreen: :|

Good idea is to find one of these "reverse osmosis" vendors where you can literally buy 10L of water for R9. We normally take about 20L per week of accomodation in KTP.

We have been able to keep meat frozen for more than 10 days by keeping one cooler box dedicated to frozen meat, and stacking it in order of "menu" (ie what is scheduled to be eaten on the first day is on top, and the last day's meat at the bottom). Then ONLY open it when you are taking meat out. Beef up (pun intended) the frozen meat with some of those blue freezer packs, and whenever you do have accomodation with a freezer, freeze everything overnight so you can regain some frigidity :lol:

Post subject: Re: food..inspiration needed
Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Some winning ideas from our trips...

Breakfast: always a quick rusk with coffee or even a bowl of ProNutro or Corn Flakes before we drive out (usually first out the gate hehe)

Brunch/Lunch:
If eating in the camp - the usual eggs, cheese grillers, bacon, toast etc will do. Often there's some meat left from the previous night's braai - eg if you have "wors" (sausage) left, make some "pap" (porridge) with it. We even once made "dagwoods" over the fire at Rooiputs.

If eating at a picnic spot en route the following work well:
1. Jaffels. Prepare some mince the night before. Have a jaffel clamper and gas braai with you. Prepare jaffels by placing meat and some chutney or mustard or whatever inside the bread, clamp down in the jaffel maker, cut off the protruding crusts and grill directly on the "cadac" gas braai. Works well since most loaves of pre-cut bread can last a bit longer than rolls or buns

2. Hamburgers. Works best early in the trip when you can bring fresh buns from Upington. Prepare patties and caramelised onions the night before, and en route just build them to taste with some tomatoes and cheese added to the mix.

3. Cold chicken. When braaiing a "flat marinated"(flatty in local slang) chicken, make enough so that you can eat some nice cold chicken the next day.

Dinner:
Here's where you can fork out the good stuff. Favourites to date prepared IN KTP...

1. Lamb shanks - grill in a flat-bed black pot over a gas flame or even over the fire. Add an oil-based salad dressing (ie French), one bottle per 2 shanks and cook until it almost falls off the bone! I also add some sundried tomatoes into the pot. Serve with a nice "easy-to-prepare" pasta packet (Knorr or the likes). If you can, works best with couscous.

2. Biltong Pot - pasta, loads of cheese, loads of "wet" beef biltong sliced nicely, sour cream, onions, green peppers

3. Marinated pre-cooked spare ribs, easy to prepare - a real bush feast.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 376 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 26  Next