Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Road conditions Pretoria to KTP
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:40 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi norms and Kenpick,

I have posted the same question and have been informed that although Rustenburg, Zeerust, Mmabatho, Vryburg to Kuruman is +- 50 km further, it will save you a lot of time that you will loose with the stop start due to construction on N14. I will be using this route next Monday! Apparently the gravel from before Van Zylsrus to Ashkam is not to bad at the moment.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:09 pm 

Thanks for the info we will also take the route via Zeerust. If you can let us know how the route is when you go on Monday it would be appreciated.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Will do subject to connectivity and time at hand (need to get to KTC before closing time)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Best/Funniest Forumite Name of the Year (2012)
Hi Kenpick and the rest of the mites,
Mads and I will also start our journey to Kgalagadi on the 21st April 2011.
We will propably go to Krugersdorp, Derby, Koster, Lichtenburg, and join the N14 in Biesiesvlei. Will also keep looking here for feedback!

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Vlakvarkvrou,

I spoke to a colleague that lives in Lichtenburg and he says the Derby Koster Lichtenburg road is in a very bad condition, potholes with some tar in between!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Tobieo,
Your advise is appreciated.
I think we should then also take the "longer" road! I have traveled a really bad road earlier in the year to Koffee Bay and last year to Mount Sheba that was holes with a bit of road in between. Don't think I am up to it now.
Warm regards

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just returned from 8 magic days in the park.

We stay on the East rand so I use the route going via potch,klerksdorp,ottosdaal,vryburg, kuruman.

I sometimes use the Schweizer reineke route, but it was in terrible condition when I used it in december.

Currently the road is the same as usual till Klerksdorp.
There are two very slow sections on this route -
There are potholes and roadworks with short sand detours between ottosdaal and delareyville, its not safe to go at freeway speeds along here, as the potholes and bumps are pretty bad, the crossovers from the tar to the gravel detours are very bad, with some serious differences in height between the two.
There are four large stop/go sections between Vryburg and Kuruman, you can add 30 to 45 mins to the normal time between these two towns due to the speed restrictions and stops.

I tried the VanZylsrus route this time, after Kuruman, and it was pretty enjoyable.
The gravel section to Ashkam is pretty ok, with a 90 speed limit most of the way, I went at around 80-85 in my caravelle comfortably.
There are a few bad sections, so when you start hitting corrugations or bumps, then slow down for a few kilos, once it clears, it is good for a while again, the bad bits seem to come in 2-3km sections.
The route for the most part though is pretty good, and the scenery is lovely with some small wildlife sightings added in.
The hotel in Vanzyls rus is going onto my list as a prefered stop over to the park, it so got us into the swing of things for the trip with our evening there.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:20 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I returned yesterday and traveled (both direction) from Pretoria via Rustenburg Zeerust Mafiking Vryburg then from Kuruman via Van Zylsrus. Road is in good condition but take note of following:

1. Detour in Mafeking not well sign posted, I got lost both times and had to stop to ask. The directions given was back to the road closed. Ended up just following the main traffic flow and was ok
2. There are 3 stop starts between Vryburg Kuruman 10 min each depending on arrival time. Both times I had to stop and wait at 2
3. I travelled through Mafeking (bad) and Zeerust (ok) on Saturday morning which was a challenge with very little respect for traffic rules (both pedestrians and cars)

Although the above sounds aweful I, if I had to decide now, I will travel the same route again.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:27 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Especially as my normal route (Ventersdorp, Delareyville Vryburg) has a lot (apparently 6) stop starts......

Unread postPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Tobie,
It was nice meeting you in the Kgalagadi. Hope you had nice sightings?

We also returned yesterday. We took the Rustenburg (R24), offramp, 30 Coligny and then N14 Ventersdorp, Delareyville, Vryburg, Kuruman, Olifantshoek and Upington to and back from the Kalahari. When we went down to Kgalagadi, it was long weekend and all road works were stopped, except for the 3 Stop and Go's just after Vryburg (there was nearly no traffic and we did not stop for long). Except for the road in city-center Delareyville, the road were in a very good condition.

Yesterday we came back from Keimoes (Augrabies) and took the same route. We had 6 quick stop and go's (No traffic), stop to eat next to Barberspan, stopped for petrol and were back in Pretoria in 9 hours.

The road works could however be a problem when everything turn back to normal next week.

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:17 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tobieo we traveled Rustenburg - Derby- Ventersdorp - Delareyville and had no stop starts there. We had 3 stops starts there (21st) and back (30th) between Vryburg and Kuruman. We also had 3 stop starts close to Katho on the way back, but none around Ventersdorp - Delareyville.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Mads and Vlakvarkvrou, nothing as accurate as someone who has actually travelled it.

JohnGore did reply on another thread that the Ventersdorp Delareyville Vryburg route had a lot of stop starts and added 2 hours to his travelling time....

Unread postPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

JohnGore included Kuruman in his 2 hours

Post subject: Road to KTP, stop starts??
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:44 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I am off to KTP in 3 weeks time ( :dance: :dance: ) and was wandering how bad the stop start on the N14 from Pretoria via Ventersdorp to Vryburg then Upington is? Any mites that recently travelled this route?

I normally travel via Van Zylsrust so some comments on the road from Van Zylsrust to Ashkam will also be appreciated. Still considering options regarding the route....... :hmz:

March 2015 KTP

Post subject: Re: Road to KTP, stop starts??
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:48 am 

Hi Tobie,

I will be driving the sam route in about 2 1/2 weeks time, from what I can gather, there are stop / starts, but it is not too bad. The other route option is to drive to Potchefstroom on the N12 and then on to Klerksdorp and Wolmaranstad. From Wolmaranstad to Schweizer-Renke via the R504 and then your back on the N14.

As far as I can gather it is better to take the stop / starts on the N14 than the traffic, stop streets and traffic lights going through Potch and Klerksdorp... They als eat into your time.

Let me know whicj one you have decided on, I leave the 25'th of Nov at about 18:00 the evening.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next