SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tutorial - Drafts
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:21 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Drafts

Long posts, like tripreports can be hell to write, especially if your internet connection is shaky. So what you can do, and a lot of people do use, is a word processor to create the report in. But that creates it's own problems, like characters not translating correctly, and you do not have the buttons at the top to create links and such.
And can you still read this back?
Code:
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3030/2865930003_322eb395f7_t.jpg[/img][url=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3030/2865930003_322eb395f7_b.jpg]Bigger pic[/url]
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3091/2866828700_d86e55caca_t.jpg[/img][url=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3091/2866828700_d86e55caca_b.jpg]Bigger pic[/url]

Looks like Hebrew! :shock:

So what you'd like is to use the forum editor so you can preview and add codes, but still be able to save your long post every once in a while.
Now look at this below your textfield:
What's that next to the Submit button? Save? :shock:

You decide to chance it, and insert new floppies in your drives, fresh CD's in the CD-burner, DVD in the DVD-burner, Blue-ray in the new Blu-ray burner, USB sticks in all USB connections you have, you're ready!
You press the button called Save, and.... A question. :(
Slightly irritated you recheck all your ways to store data, and satisfied but trembling you hit the Yes button... A new window:
It's saved! But where did it go? None of your equipment whizzed, whirred, blinked or beeped! And the forum returned to the page where you came from!

Easy does it, it's stored on the SANParks server. Go to the User Control Panel by hitting the link at the top of the page, or click here. You'll recognise this screen:
Click the link called Manage drafts, and you get this:
Now that looks very familiar.... And there are options. Delete, which is something we do not want to do at this stage I think, and under Options it looks like you have 1 link. Not true which you can find out by hovering your mouse over it. The top one is Load draft, and the bottom one is View/Edit. That's the same you think, but there you are quite wrong. Check this, the Load draft was clicked:
Especially not the information above it:
Quote:
Information
Draft loaded into posting area, you may want to finish your post now.
Your draft will be deleted after submitting this post.

That sounds a bit final, and you are actually back in the forum you were in. So this looks to be a good option when you are ready to post after a few tiny changes.
But the other option, the View/Edit option, what does that do? I clicked it for you, have a look:
Indeed you can edit here, but as you can see there are no handy buttons for preview, links, images etc. Bummer! So we'll leave that to the people who are happy writing the phpBB codes. The Submit button does not post it on the forums, but saves it to drafts again, that may be handy to know.

But you want the handy buttons, so let's sneak back to Load draft, and check if there's not a way to avoid posting, you're not done yet! Now have a look, there is a Save button! I changed my draft a bit, and look:
Two drafts! So you can even go back when you made a whoopsy! 8)

Well, that means you can change and save as often as you want. Have fun writing! And when you are done with your post, just hit submit. (And clean up your drafts, you don't need them anymore...)

Storing it on the server also means that where ever you are, as long as you have an internet connection, you can edit or update your post. Without needing to bring an USB-stick, floppy, tape, whatever, along with you. And, dare I say it? Even from work! :lol:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Tutorial - Drafts
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I just highlight, right click and copy every so often. OK as long as the computer doesn't crash.

Post subject: Re: Tutorial - Drafts
Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:51 am 

Quote:
Looks like Hebrew! :shock:

ROFL, I'm reading how to post a trip report and saw that :)
Hebrew would actually make more sense to me than that

עם היית כותב את זה בעברית הייתי מבין כבר לעשות, יא נודניק