Skip to Content

PDA software

See what other forumites recommend you should read

Moderator: hilda

restio
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby restio » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:42 pm

Mgoddard, if your laptop has a CD-ROM or DVD drive then you can get bird books in that format. e.g. Roberts Multimedia.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

icurrie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby icurrie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:15 am

Thank you to everyone who posted information on this thread! I am now the proud owner of Roberts Multimedia Birds of Southern Africa PDA Version 2 and it is as great as everyone has said. We have two very concise bird books which we have carried to SA and back for the last 10 years but wanted something more comprehensive for our upcoming KTP trip. We were going to buy the Roberts or Sasol bird book in SA but were worried about the extra weight, especially given all the camera equipment we drag around with us! Now we don't have to worry as the PDA is a lot less weight and it has the bird sounds as well!

I ordered it from SA Birding on Sunday 6 Jan and it arrived yesterday (15th Jan) - from SA to UK. Thanks KDU for the link! I was very impressed with the service! It is so easy to install and even though I have a very old PDA and it works fine.

If you have a PDA and are travelling to SA I would certainly recommend it. :D
Issy

Trip Reports:
The stuff of daydreams ... - Kruger
Kalahari Dreamin' - KTP
Just What the Doctor Ordered - West Coast, Augrabies, KTP

micmic

Re: PDA software

Unread postby micmic » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:08 am

Besides the already discussed Sasol ebirds, has anyone tried the other PDA Solutions titles ? I'm especially interested in the eTrees. I was also wondering, how useful would the eSnakes and eFrogs guides be for a KNP visitor ? I mean, how often one encounters frogs and snakes there ?

Also, what about the Kruger Guide mentioned earlier in this thread ? Is it not available anymore ?

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi micmic

I am fairly new to the PDA, but have found the Sasol birds very useful. I have found, though that one needs a good bird book as well (my "Bible" is Newman - but others might differ). I particularly like the "compare" facility on the Sasol birds, and, of course, the calls.

I bought the e-Trees but have found it a bit tricky to use. I prefer the actual book that it was taken from (Field Guide to Trees of Southern Africa - van Wyk & van Wyk). I did a FGASA course last year and we got to know the book rather well! One problem, whether using the book or PDA is that you need to have the leaf in your hand (or be really close to the tree). In KNP one cannot (a) get out of the car and (b) pluck a leaf. The PDA trees (and in most cases the book, too) don't give a picture of the whole tree - a few books do, and that is quite a good start to IDing the tree.

Can't comment on the PDA snakes and frogs, but can say that I have seldom seen a snake in KNP. You tend to hear frogs, rather than see them - so, if the PDA frogs incluldes calls, it might be quite fun.

There is a frog book that includes a CD of calls.

There are good reptile books that might be more use than spending the money on the PDA programme.

Depends on your budgetting and needs.
KTP May 2015

micmic

Unread postby micmic » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:47 pm

Thanks Hippotragus, very informative post. So I suppose that a good pair of binoculars or a tele lens can't compensate for the lack of a tangible leaf ? If not, is there a specific book you deem more suitable for identifying trees from a distance ?

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:17 am

Hi micmic

Hope I'm not getting into deep water!! The van Wyk & vqn Wyk book is very good and does have very good descriptions of the trees, leaves, fruit, flowers etc. I don't want to upset the PDA people, but flicking through a book is easier than flicking through the PDA - unless you know what family of trees you are looking for. I think the PDA trees is a wonderful idea, and I'm sure can be of great use.

Another useful book is A Photographic Guide to Trees of Southern Africa by Piet van Wyk (one of the co-authors of the above book), published by Struik. It is a handy pocket size and, as the name implies, has good photos of the whole tree, leaf, fruit, flower etc.

A book I bought in KNP in May is Making the Most of Indigenous Trees by Fanie & Julye-Ann Venter, published by Briza. It does not have ALL the trees, but has pictures and interesting info on some of the most common trees.

A good reptile book is A guide to the Reptiles of Southern Africa by Graham Alexander and Johan Marais, Published by Struik.

The frog book with the CD is Frogs and Frogging in Southern Africa by Vincent Carruthers, published by Struik.

Good luck.
KTP May 2015

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:19 am

Talking of PDA software, does anyone know how good the new Kgalagadi software is??

We are going there next May and I am debating whether it would be worth buying the Kgalagadi software. I know one also needs a Garmin-type instrument for it to work properly.
KTP May 2015

Return to “Bookshelf”