Skip to Content

Kruger Animal Picture Book

See what other forumites recommend you should read

Moderator: hilda

corntobewild

Kruger Animal Picture Book

Unread postby corntobewild » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:45 pm

Hello, my wife and I are coming to Kruger for 5 days in October 2012 and we really have no idea of what types of animals to expect to see, excluding the Big 5. Is there a book we can purchase that has pictures of all the types of animals that we may encounter in Kruger? I don't want to see animals and then not know what they are.

I figure this is a good way to keep my wife involved as she is not into wildlife as much as I am. Keeping a list of all the animals we see each day seems like a good idea. Thanks!

Toby

saraf

Re: Kruger Animal Picture Book

Unread postby saraf » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi there corntobewild, welcome to the forum.

You will be able to get a map book in the Park shops that has illustrations of all the mammals and most of the birds in the back, which we found invaluable on our first visits.

If you'd like to have a look before hand there is a book called Mammals of the Kruger National Park that you should be able to get from Amazon. Unfortunately my copy is packed away somewhere so I can't tell you the author or publisher but someone else may be able to help.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby p@m » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Another one that is very useful is Smithers' Mammals of Southern Africa, A Field Guide. ISBN 978 1 86872 550 2

It gives a lot of detail about each animal too.

But maybe a bit of overkill for a first visit :lol:

Another one I saw on-line which looks great is
Mammals of the Kruger N. P. & Surrounds,
Author : Veronica Roodt
: Soft cover Size 165x240 96 Pages 2011
ISBN : 978-0-9869926-0-5

Looks like you can order the second one on-line at http://www.netbooks.co.za

Good luck and enjoy your trip :thumbs_up:

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)
Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found

Unread postby isinkwe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Corntobewild
There is a nice book available for not only new visitors, it is a book that I have found very stimulating as a veteran of kruger visits.
'The Mammal Guide of southern africa' by Burger Cillie
Published by Briza Publications.(www.briza.co.za)
All our malls here have book shops where the book is available. The book provides a wealth of information from a photograph, short decisive description to spoor and even the droppings.
I do not go to any nature reserve without it.
My son recently compleated a field guide course and this was one of the books that we had to purchase for the course.
Hope this info helps and happy KRUGERPARKING to both of you.
KRUGERPARKING is good for your health. Keep on KRUGERPARKING.

Bosbefonk

Unread postby Bosbefonk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:27 am

I must agree with Isinkwe :think: 'The Mammal Guide of southern africa' by Burger Cillie- BEST BUY EVER!! :D
The Day, Water, Sun, Moon, Night –I do not have to purchase these things with money!
CUSTOS NATURAE (Guardian of Nature)

brogan

Unread postby brogan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:09 am

Meandering Mouse wrote:Hi Corntobewild :D a very warm welcome to you. I hope that you have a most enjoyable trip.

A very sound and comprehensive book is the Prime origons guide to, "Exploring Kruger" by Brett Hilton Barber and Professor Lee Berger. I think that it is available in all the Kruger book stores. It gives possibly the best overall guide to Kruger, the roads, the camps, the geology.

My favourite book by far!! It is a must read, it will tell you about the little things people dont know about that are interesting. as well as Krugers history. where to go, as well as a road-to-road break down of the park.

corntobewild

Unread postby corntobewild » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'm sure I can't go wrong with any of the choices. They all look and sound wonderful. :thumbs_up:

Toby

BrendaK

Unread postby BrendaK » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi Toby

One of the best books I ever got relating to the animals, including spiders, birds, frogs and snakes, fish, butterflies, flowers and trees etc. was "The Wildlife of Southern Africa " by Vincent Carruthers.
I never go to Kruger or any of the other Parks without it. What I do is to write the dates that I have spotted something in pencil next to the picture of the animal.
What is nice about this book is that it is not too bulky or too slim to carry around when you get out at hides and other places.
"I am doomed to be a wanderer, I am not an empire builder, I am not a missionary, I am not truly a scientist, I merely want to return to the bush to continue my wanderings" (Joseph Thompson - The bush for me and Africa for him)

Return to “Bookshelf”