Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Witgat - Gert Erasmus
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:16 pm 

Witgat - (Shepherd's tree in english)
Author - Gert Erasmus

In this book Gert shares wonderful stories of his life in Kruger where he was a game ranger. He also focus on trees and share how they affected his life in different ways.

Really an interesting read and must for every Kruger junkie's collection of Kruger books!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Post subject: Re: Witgat - Gert Erasmus
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I read my copy of this book No 50 signed by the author during our recent 11 day visit to the KNP and surroundings. I was through the 275 pages much too soon for my liking.

I can recommend it to anyone who can understand the Afrikaans language and has appreciation for the South African Eden.

ISBN 978 0 620 51560 3
Printed by Mosprint
PO Box 387
Mossel Bay

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:53 pm 

Silly question I suppose but does it only come in Afrikaans?

Berg n Dal 12 August 2012
Cant Wait !!!!
MARAKELE
Tlopi Tented Camp 27/28 September 2012

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yes currently in Afrikaans only.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have just finished reading “Witgat” and I feel compelled to share my thoughts on this incredible book. It has been a long time since any book about Kruger has filled me with such nostalgia and longing for this place we all love so much.

In his own poetic way, Gert Erasmus paints a vivid picture of the bush, the wildlife and the extraordinary people which gives Kruger its unique atmosphere and sense of place. He successfully manages to assign all the iconic lowveld trees to certain moments and memories built up during his time living in this special piece of Africa.

Furthermore, the book also provides a valuable record of a unique time in South African and Sanparks’ history. A time of great change as seen through the eyes of the “old guard” as they had to make way for the new. Some may see certain parts of the book as a little controversial. I however found the writer to be objective on sensitive issues. His love for South Africa and all its people, as well as his dream for a better future for all shines through clearly. When you read something like this, you start to realize that things are not always as simple and clear-cut (black-and-white) as we tend to think, especially not history.

The only regret I have about this book is that it has not been given more publicity, making it probably one of the most underrated African Adventure Auto-biographies ever. It is perhaps due to the author’s own choice of publishing the book himself. I don’t know his reasons but perhaps he felt that it would not appeal to mainstream readers. Perhaps also because some terms (such as “Witgat”) cannot really be translated properly with all its symbolic meaning into English.

If Gert Erasmus is reading this post at some stage, I want to urge him to please reconsider and to do an English translation. There are many people out there who would want (and who should) read this. I also now made a mental note to visit the Boscia Guest Farm near George when I am in that part of the country again...

17-18 Dec 2012 Satara
19-22 Dec 2012 Shingwedzi
23 Dec 2012 Punda Maria

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:29 pm 

Dear All

I have not been active on the forum for a long long time :naughty:

However, I have often visited and shared in all the lovely travel tales. It was during one such session that I stumbled upon this thread and since I am in contact with Gert Erasmus, I passed your kind words on to him.

He has asked me to respond to you all, thanking you for all the kind things said about the book - "die mooi goed wat hulle kwyt raak."

I can also share the good news with you that he is working on an English version of the book - it will not be a translation but rather the story re-told in SA English idiom. He is about halfway there and I'll keep you posted on progress.
Loerie

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great to hear this Loerie! Now many more people will be able to share in Gert's wonderful experiences and beautiful writings.

17-18 Dec 2012 Satara
19-22 Dec 2012 Shingwedzi
23 Dec 2012 Punda Maria

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Thank you for sharing this publication with all on the forum, Ifubesi. :thumbs_up:

I was searching for another book (refer thread on Wild Company) and the bookseller in Kleinmond told me that this book I will really enjoy. It is brand new and also signed by the author. Now I got a copy and cannot wait to start reading it ... :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:53 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Sounds wonderful! And isn't is great that Gert is busy telling the story in English as well! So many English speaking people can shortly also share in his wonderful experiences! :clap: :clap: