Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: The tales of Bookey and Richard Peek...A MUST READ!
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:51 pm 

Last week I attended a talk and book launch at the Johannesburg Zoo based on honey badgers and met the most amazing people who raised a honey badger before releasing him back into the wild.

Bookey and Richard Peek live on their wildlife sanctuary, Stone Hills, in the Matobo hills of Zimbabwe and to document their lives and experiences Bookey has written three magnificent books. Bookey launched her third book at the talk and alongside her husband gave a wonderful talk about their honey badger and how they brought him up, teaching him everything he needed to know about living in the wild on his own.

The talk involved a slide show and video clips of 'Badger' and his antics: from annoying warthogs out of their holes and trying to eat a baby porcupine (poor Badger got a few quills stuck in his head!), to devouring honey and trying to attack various dangerous snakes.

I bought the first book in the series and cannot wait to sink my teeth into it! The books include: All The Way Home (EAN: 9780143025030), Wild Honey (EAN: 9780143025856), and Beyond The Wild Wood (EAN: 9780143528043).

I seriously advise everyone to buy and read these books just because of the warm and enchanting feeling I got last night from the author and her husband as well as little Badger who is somewhere out there roaming and doing his thing in the wild.

December KNP:
16 - 18: Punda Maria
19: Shingwedzi
20 - 23: Mopani