Skip to Content

Books about Kruger National Park

See what other forumites recommend you should read

Moderator: hilda

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby luislang » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:59 pm

I also have this book. Bought it in the 80's in Kruger. Did you know that there are new additions?
Publisher: New Holland Publishers (UK)
ISBN: 1843306697
Format: Soft Cover
Publication Date: 2003/12

It sells for R16.00 on (Pocket Size)

Then there's another one by Braack also published in 2003 called
Kruger National Park Pack. Selling for R95.96.
Same Publishers ISBN:1843306654. Also sold by
The golden rule of life - Do unto others as you want done unto yourself

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Kruger Portrait of a Nat Park

Unread postby Snoobab » Mon May 08, 2006 8:07 am

Hi All

In another post Nico asked if I knew of how many workers were killed while building roads and so on in early Kruger.
Kruger Portrait of a National Park - David Paynter with Wilf Nussey. Macmillian South Africa (Publishers) Pty Ltd 1986
For those of you Kruger holics this is an amazing book. The first half deals with the history of Kruger from Primevil to Present. It then deals with all the camps and roads and the problems faced. There is a section on all Fauna and Flora. The section titles Sagas of the Park is very interesting with topics like -
Wolhunter and the Lion
Mdluli - a Park Legend
The great Tuskers of the Park
There is a section for visitor hints which is quite helpful with a photography hint section.
The last section is similar to Nigel Dennis's book on Where to find Game in Kruger as it list all camps and roads and explains which game should be seen where.
bearing in mind the book is 20 yrs old and a lot has changed in Kruger it is still very interesting.
Some of the pics of the old camps and picnic sites are amazing.
Not too sure if it is still in publication but if it is you should all try get a copy.

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Shidzidzii » Mon May 08, 2006 9:01 am

This was the first comprehensive guide book on the KNP and remains a classic , and a model for later authors including Nigel Dennis to follow . It was more of a coffee table book, being large and heavy, than a field guide so Dr LEO Braaks "Kruger Park Guide" book is beter in that respect and pre-dates it.

Wilf Nussey also published the first major book on the Kalahari NP in a similar format.

It would be nice if a revised edition could be published . Some of the points of difference being:-
- only 3 wilderness trails those days
- only the original camps where described but Berg-en_Dal Boulders Roodewal and Jock-of-Bushveld had just been developed
- only one bird hide then (Kanniedood)
- the roads where already at their zenith (time we had a road developement plan ?) and their descriptions are still very apt

Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imberbe » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:16 pm

This book by U. de V. Pienaar is the most comprehensive book about Kruger N.P. history.

Pienaar worked 32 years in Kruger and became the park warden and later chief director of the Parks Board.

It is a must have for anybody interested in the park.

BUT, it was out of print for quite some time.

And now for the good news! The Afrikaans version is being updated and will be available towards the end of this year. It is also being translated in to English, which will be available in 2007.

Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Dictionary of Kruger Park Place Names

Unread postby rooks » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:02 pm

A real gem of a book!
Something I've looked for for years.
This book is sponsored by the Honorary Rangers and Eduard and Minda de Koning have accepted the challenge of promoting it for the benefit of the Rangers and the SANParks as a whole.
It is truly as wonderful book and a wonderful birthday present for any Kruger lover.
You can now contact Eduard or Milda and buy directly from the Honorary Rangers (I couldn't find it in any major book store). Eduard and MIlda live in Pretoria.
Here's link where you can ask them to send you details. It is also a short review of the book.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Oumie » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:08 pm

Bought the book in Kruger! Was interesting to find the names as you get to a river or spruit and water holes and read up what they mean. A interesting book
Maroela 27/4/16 - 30/4/16
Satara 01/5/16 - 31/5/16
Lower Sabie 01/6/16 - 27/6/16

Kgalagadi booked for September 2016 :dance:

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Kruger – Images of a Great African Park by Nigel Dennis

Unread postby Wildman » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:56 pm

I recently purchased a publication by Nigel Dennis, renown nature photographer, entitled, Kruger – Images of a Great African Park, published by Struik.

At first I wasn’t sure where to post this thread as the book is predominantly a pictorial, but it does contain some excellent text too. So I decided that I would post it under the recommended reading forum.

I simply love this publication, the photography is superlative and the text is interesting and well formulated. And that’s exactly why I post this thread – I highly recommend it to those who are interested in the Kruger National Park.

Are there any comments regarding this excellent publication? I must just add that I regard Nigel Dennis as the top wildlife and nature photographer of the decade.
This is the Law o’the Jungle,as old&as true as the sky;The Wolf that shall keep it prospers,the Wolf that shall break it dies;the Law runs forward and back
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,&the strength of the Wolf is the Pack

Kruger National Park - A History

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

An exciting new book due to be published in May 2007:

Kruger National Park - A History

Unread postby BethR » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:35 pm

Am anxious to acquire this book too! Along the same lines though, I found an interesting little book today at the African Studies Library where I work...

It's entitled: "Place Names of the Kruger National Park" by N.J. van Warmelo, Government Ethnologist. It's from 1961 and is rather worn, but I've had such fun this morning paging through it! :) It would be interesting to compare it with the current dictionary of place names and see if things have changed at all.

History of the Kruger National Park

Unread postby rooks » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:37 pm

Maybe many forum readers are not aware that a major new 3 volume 1500 page book about the Kruger National Park is about to be published.
Publication of "History of the Kruger National Park" by Dr Salomon Joubert is expected before the middle of 2007.
It promises to be the most interesting and comprehensive book about the Kruger ever published and covers 7 different Eras of the Kruger National Park. The Eras span more than 100 years.
All lovers of the Kruger I feel sure would wish to learn more and even consider buying when published. The 3 volume book is a bit pricey at around R770 but I think it's going to be worth every penny.
It would make an excellent gift and would be a godsend for environmentally minded organisations to give to their important customers.
In cooperation with the publisher we have started a completely free series of 7 newsletters to alert interested people as to what the book contains.
You can learn more by subscribing to the "newsletter" series at or go to the sign up form here
For example at one stage a decision was taken to offer a bounty of a Pound on the skin of every Wild Dog killed. Can you imagine such a management policy?
Did you know that poison was used to kill crocodiles? This was an attempt to control predator populations. It was thought there were too many carnivores in the Park.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby christelsabine » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:03 pm

No, MM, it's not - that's just a small part of a wonderful report
in which a journalist (Robert R. Frump) is talking about his "investigative journey" about Kruger in 2002 - he collected a lot of highly interesting facts and old stories (such as Wolhuter's life changing experience escaping from lions' fangs with the help of his dog) - why hunters changed thier minds ..... Fascinating.

And of course, it includes the actual Mozambican refugees's situation which, in his opinion, is not known enough to the world; these refufees are "eaten en masse" as per his investigations - but, what is done on that? He's posing the question if human life really is more valuable than that of lions? He's not showing or talking about any massacre details, if you fear this.

His question simply is: Is Kruger the "Eden" like it's shown to the world? Even a Kruger lover should be able to stand that question, or not?

Unread postby bert » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:15 pm

Fascinating book. Can strongly advise it 8)

Reads more easily than the titel suggests. And deals with the fact that Kruger is a fenced in habitat .
Has a few chapters on elephants. Deals with history and many
aspects on the impact of elephants. But doesnt draw conclusions.
In fact its a summary of books and papers from many educated people who has done studies on the different aspects of managing such a big park.

Makes you wonder on water management, plants and has many chapters on the different species of plants, animals etc.
Deals with the whole ecosystem, effect of humans etc.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:11 pm

I purchased "A Dictionary of Kruger National Park Place names" on my last visit.

What a gem. The names themselves mean less to me than the prehistory provided.
The authors, JJ Kloppers and Hans Bornman, place the names in the backdrop of a greater pre Kruger history.

For anyone with an interest in history, this is a "must buy".
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Kevin M

English Version of Neem uit die verlede

Unread postby Kevin M » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:53 pm

Dear Imberbe

The good news is that SANParks have commissioned Helena Bryden to translate Dr Pienaars book into English. The book will be available early in 2008 and the English titel is "The past unburied". Helena and her husband Bruce (author of A Ranger Remembers) spent many years in Kruger and are now living in Knysna.
Kevin Moore
Manager: Conservation Interpretation

Kevin M

Unread postby Kevin M » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:44 am

The book translation has just been completed and submitted to the publisher. It will still need to be printed after that so you will still need to wait some months yet before it is on the shelves.
Kevin Moore
Manager: Conservation Interpretation

Return to “Bookshelf”