Wild Company by Gus Adendorff

See what other forumites recommend you should read

Moderator: hilda

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wild Company by Gus Adendorff

Unread postby ndloti » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:50 pm

This is a worthwhile read , covers the authors experiences as a game ranger in KNP from 1950 - 1977 .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

o-dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Wild Company by Gus Adendorff

Unread postby o-dog » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:31 pm

Hey Ndloti fully agree.. one of the more inspirational books ive read on the KNP and some great storeys from the days when it took something like a few days to get post from Skukuza to Punda....a lot of exciting anecdotes and events in this book! :thumbs_up:
Mana Pools: 11th - 20th Oct
KNP: 27th Nov - 5 Dec

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby gmlsmit » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:29 am

"Wild Company" is indeed worthwhile reading.

I have been trying to find a copy for many years as I met Oom Gus at Letaba during my first visist in 1967, and then again on 23 March 1970 at Olifants when they rescued a little Elephant, I remeber this date very clearly as Lanette and myself were then spending our honeymoon in KRUGER.

John Adendorff the son of Oom Gus offered to lend me his copy of the book, which I of course declined who lends out such a precious book.

I have been in contact with Tannie Pat, she is well and living in Louis Trichardt, her coffee and rusks still are quite good, she recently celebrated her 80th birthday with John at ADDO, John recently told me that his ambition is to get a transfer back to KRUGER where they grew up.

I obtained permission from John and Tannie Pat to use my copy of the book I was fortunately enough to recently obtain, as base for my postings in "Lest we Forget".

Oom Gus most definitely portrays the image of the staunch Game rangers of yester years.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Kaapsedraai
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)

Unread postby Kaapsedraai » Thu May 30, 2013 1:26 pm

After coming across the topic on the Kruger page on Tuskers, especially Emerging tuskers, I read about Bidzane who are linked to Gus Adendorf

I quote from the webpage: " Origin of Name: Named in memory of Gus Adendorff who served as a ranger in the Kruger National Park for 27 years. (‘Bidzane’ is Swahili and refers to the zebra skin band around the hat that Gus always wore)"
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/el ... erging.php

It got me interested as I had met Gus' son, John Adendorff, in Addo June 2012 when I had an unfortunate incident with one of the big 5 (TR refers). Loving to read about Game Rangers experiences, I was immediatly interested in obtaining a copy of this book.
The next action was to scroll through the Forum Bookshelf to see if there is a thread on this matter, so here we are. :thumbs_up:

The challenge is now where will I be able to get one.... :hmz:
Does anyone perhaps know where I can get a copy of the book "Wild Company"?
Now active - TMNP: Table Mountain's mood today
Now active - KRUGER Dec'14: 14 days appreciation of nature & wild company
Now active - Agulhas NP: 8-10 July 215
Future trip - Kruger: 10-25 Dec'15

Joep Stevens
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Joep Stevens » Fri May 31, 2013 7:53 am

It is sad to mention that Gus' widow Pat passed away earlier this week. Condolences to John and family.

JOEP STEVENS (joep.stevens@sanparks.org)
General Manager: Tourism Operations

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby gmlsmit » Fri May 31, 2013 8:00 am

It is indeed sad, my condolences to the Adendorff family as well. Tannie Pat was very helpful with my writing about the Adendorff adventures in the KNP, under the Lest we Forget thread.

To Joep Stevens - thanks for notifying these instances about the old timers.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

yoda
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby yoda » Fri May 31, 2013 9:50 am

You guys are a bad influence :lol:

I have just found a copy of this book on ABE. On its way to me as we "speak".
There are more available.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... ld+Company

Kaapsedraai
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)

Unread postby Kaapsedraai » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:54 pm

Goronta wrote:Thanks Yoda
With your information on abebooks I found it even on this side of the Channel :thumbs_up:

Brilliant, Goronta...and enjoy it. :thumbs_up:

hilda wrote:I've just had a call from the bookshop, Wild Company is out of print, with no indication of any re-prints! :(

It doesn't look as if we are going to get a copy, sorry Kaapsedraai! :?

hilda, that is fine, we just keep searching ... :thumbs_up: I contacted Treasury Booksellers again today and they got 1 copy for me, but cannot locate it as a customer must have moved it. So, let see. :hmz:

yoda wrote:Kaapsedraai - keep looking on ABE. 2nd hand book sellers list new stuff quite often.

yoda, I got to Treasury Booksellers via ABE, so just waiting to see if I will be successful. :thumbs_up:

yoda
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby yoda » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:16 pm

My copy has just arrived :D

But I see on ABE, that there are some copies available, and from SA book sellers:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... ny&x=0&y=0

Kaapsedraai
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby Kaapsedraai » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:39 pm

yoda wrote:My copy has just arrived :D

But I see on ABE, that there are some copies available, and from SA book sellers:

Brilliant, yoda... :dance: enjoy the read. :thumbs_up:

hilda wrote:
I don't know if I was doing something wrong, but I found a bookshop in Johannesburg, SA, with as copy which I decided to purchase, but, when I saw the postage was more or less the same as the price of the book, I have decided against it. I don't know whether it has something to do with my extra slow Internet yesterday, but I think I shall try again later on. Maybe the postage price got stuck! :lol:

hilda, via ABE I got the a bookshop in Jhb i.e. Treasury Booksellers and till today, they could not locate the copy they presumably have in stock. I guess the postage will be quite high. :hmz: I am not sure if this is the same place, though...

Shushin wrote:If this will help bidorbuy.co.za has 4 copies up for auction. :D

Shushin, guess what - one copy close to home in Wellington and already paid for and on the way to me. :dance: :dance: :dance: Thank you for the lead. :thumbs_up:

yoda wrote:My copy came with an LP/record. No where to play it though.

I am as passionate about books on my interests, as my interests themselves. The SO goes mad when she sees anther book being added to the piles of of them everywhere :gflower:
Our bookshelves were filled up years ago.

yoda, :lol: :lol: :lol: I know the feeling. SO reacts that way when I buy another bird ornament - those wooden carved ones - to add to the collection.
The LP/ecord is an interesting one...wonder if the copy I ordered will have one.

If I came across the book in booksellers close by, I will buy them and let you all know, especially for hilda. :thumbs_up:

Goronta
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby Goronta » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:51 pm

I've just received my copy.It seems brand new and the LP/Record is in ,never opened :thumbs_up:
I will start reading tonight if I don't post too many shots on the forum and go to bed at a decent time
Thanks again Yoda for the info :D
Carpe diem

2015:
Namibia july 21th-22th,
Kgalagadi july 23th-August 3rd,
K.K july 23th-24th,
Urikaruus july 25th-26th,
Nossob july 27th- 28th
Grootkolk july 29th-30th -31st
Mata Mata august 1st - 2nd
Namibia august 3rd - 19th

Kaapsedraai
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby Kaapsedraai » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:38 pm

Great news Goronta :thumbs_up:

I received my copy Friday and read about 2 chapters - great experiences and gives one a view of how it was in the early days. :dance: :dance:

Good news to anyone interested in the book. I located 2 copies of the book when paying a short trip to Kleinmond today. Unfortunately, they are second hand and the LP Record removed in both. So, I bought the 2 copies and anyone interested to obtain from me are welcome to let me know. :hmz:

Return to “Bookshelf”