Moderator: hilda

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

A must for history lovers

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:14 pm

Mpumalanga-an illustrated history by Peter Delius and Michelle Hay

Professor Peter Delius from the University of the Witwatersrand edited a remarkable book on Mpumalanga in "Mpumalanga-History and Heritage". The book is filled historical research by some of the top academics covering pr-history to the present day struggles.

"Mpumalanga- an illustrated history", is a sleeker edition of the original book. To quote from the introduction:

"We do not try to do justice to all the material contained in the ample volume. Intead, we offer a sleeker companion crowded with striking images, telling narratives, and turning points that provide tantalising glimpses of the region's extraordinary history".

This is a wonderful companion for anyone wanting to understand the complexities and stories that go into providing the backdrop to "Kruger in context"

I have read portions of the original work, "Mpumalanga-History and Heritage". This sleeker edition has managed to focus on the critical aspects of history and make them accesable. For this we have to thank Michelle Hay, whose style is uncomplicated and readable.

I would recommend this book to anyone, at home or abroad who wants deeper insight into many of the issues still pertinent today that often play out in Kruger's boundries.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: A must for history lovers

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:24 am

I went to the book launch on Sunday night. Sadly, the books that were meant to go out to schools and libraries were destroyed in the recent fire in Paarl that killed 8 people and left 2 missing.

On another note, I am almost finished reading the book and am most impressed with the fresh way in which history has been explored. It has been a mammoth task to try to condense so much into such a short space. It has, however, given me insight into so many of today's problems that have their roots in "the ancestors".

There was a lovely little bit on the "Halls" family's contribution. You know, "Halls" of the roadside little shopping centre fame. What a special legacy.

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:29 am

What a sad occurrence to have these books destroyed in a tragic fire. I've often wondered about why certain problems in and around Kruger have arisen, and why they couldn't just simply ...
I'll read this book to understand things more. Taa again.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Timepilot
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Timepilot » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:29 am

You know, "Halls" of the roadside little shopping centre fame. What a special legacy.

MM, would they be the Halls of all the fruit farms etc all around Nelspruit? And my favourite tomato cocktail mix?
“ Every year elephants were becoming scarcer and wilder south of the Zambezi, so that it had become impossible to make a living by hunting at all. ” FC Selous 1881

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:06 am

Indeed, Timepilot.

Hugh Lanyon Hall moved to South Africa at the age of 11. He obtained a long term license to farm in 1890. He was the first to farm all year round and survive the harshness of the enviroment. At one stage he was the biggest producer of citrus in the commonwealth. He also learnt to put back into the soil.

To quote the book:

"Hall had personal attributes-courage, confidence and detemination-....he also built his business in a way that allowed it to endure".

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:51 am

A photo from the book launch.

Michelle Hay, the co-author is a forum menber, Explorer. Here she is with her siblings.

Return to “Bookshelf”