SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Memoirs of a Game Ranger" by Harry Wolhuter
Unread postPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:06 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Yesterday I bought myself a new copy of this remarkable book. The illustrations remain the same and its a book worth reading, again and again and again.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:39 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I also bought a copy a few weeks ago, and started reading it last week. (Not much time for reading though, but cannot put it down once I started!) :D

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I bought a second hand copy last year, it is dated from the 1970s and in very good condition.

What struck me was how beautifully written it is. They certainly were well educated then.

Last edited by missings.a.! on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Just finished 'Wild Company' by Gus Adendorf and currently busy with 'Shaping the Kruger' by Mitch Reardon.
Mitch Reardon makes reference quite a few times in his book to Harry Wolhuter and Stevenson-Hamilton but also quoted Gus Adendorf, hence leading me to a 'must-have-and-read' book by Harry Wolhuter.

However I was fortunate to get one today, so... looking forward to read this book.
Guess, I got a nice problem - which one to read :hmz: - continue with Shaping the Kruger or Memoiries of a Game Ranger.... :thumbs_up:

Are there any other books that you suggest I look out for? :hmz:
(I got Game Ranger remembers by Bruce Brydon and Kobie Krugers collection aready)

I am also awaiting news on the reprint of the Kruger History volumes by Salomon Joubert.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:17 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I have only started reading "Wild Company by Gus Adendorf Kaapsedraai! Unfortunately I don't have much time for reading lately, but I hope/think it will soon change! :dance: :dance:

I have, however, the following books to read as well, and unfortunately I cannot tell you whether you must buy them or not. I cannot read a next book while I haven't finished the other one. :wink:

Here are the others waiting to be read:

Man-eaters, Mambas and Marula Madness by Mario Cesare. It is about a Game Ranger's life in the Lowveld.
Battle for the President's Elephants by Sharon Pincott. If I am not mistaken, Threedogs suggested this book as good reading, and I have bought it long ago.
The Man with the Black Dog by Mario Cesare, which is described as a true modern-day "Jock of the Bushveld".
Cry of the Rhino by Johan Fourie. Described as a novel inspired by real events in the fight against Rhino poachers.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Keep an eye open for ""James Stevenson Hamilton's"" ""South African Eden"". It is a classic and tells of the early days of Kruger when nobody knew if it would ever exist. I found a copy at a second hand book shop.

I like anything by Jane Curruthers. She has also written a lot on Stevenson Hamilton and taken most of her accounts from reading his diaries.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
hilda wrote:
I have only started reading "Wild Company by Gus Adendorf Kaapsedraai! Unfortunately I don't have much time for reading lately, but I hope/think it will soon change! :dance: :dance:

I have, however, the following books to read as well, and unfortunately I cannot tell you whether you must buy them or not. I cannot read a next book while I haven't finished the other one. :wink:

Here are the others waiting to be read:

hilda - I am busy to get the record located at the back of the book copied onto cd so one can listen to the sound track. Your copy unfortunately do not have the record, but will let you know once I managed to listen to it the sound tracks.

I have started reading Harry Wolhuters book and what a gripping one...starting in the days of wagons, oxen etc so Shaping the Kruger will have to wait a bit... :hmz:

Thank you for all the great book titles. I have made a note of them for when I come across some bargains or when in need of another one :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Meandering Mouse wrote:
Keep an eye open for ""James Stevenson Hamilton's"" ""South African Eden"". It is a classic and tells of the early days of Kruger when nobody knew if it would ever exist. I found a copy at a second hand book shop.

I like anything by Jane Curruthers. She has also written a lot on Stevenson Hamilton and taken most of her accounts from reading his diaries.

Thank you Meandering Mouse - will definately look out at second hand bookshops for these and have made a note of these ones. Love the historical events and the tales from Game Rangers in Kruger specific. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I love this book... not just for the wild life and Kruger but the words of wisdom....

I had the unfortunate of having to have one of my old 4 leg friends put down last week and I went back and read his story of when his Airdale was sick......... :cry: Makes you cry your eyes out but at the end you feel better.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Would be great if this book would be available in the Kruger camp shops, I never saw it so far but would love to get a copy!

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:53 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
My SO and I have just finished painting the whole house on the inside, leaving the study for last. Each room had to be completely empty to do the job properly, which means all the books also had to be taken out of the bookcase and built-in cupboard. :doh:

What did I find? A hard-cover ninth edition: August 1967, of Harry Wolhuter's Memories of a Game Ranger! Price: R3.15!

I have bought and read a new edition middle last year, and want to read this one too .... wonder if it will be exactly the same? Can't wait to read it! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This is not an advert - if the Mods feel that it should be removed -please do so.

A copy of "Memories of a Game Ranger" by Harry Wolhuter is available at:

http://www.antiquarianauctions.com/bids ... y-maberley

My reason for posting this is for someone who may be interested in obtaining this book, which is no longer readily available.

I have a copy and have had many offers to sell, of course I would never part with it.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

gmlsmit wrote:

My reason for posting this is for someone who may be interested in obtaining this book, which is no longer readily available.

I bought a copy this past December at Exclusive Books at the Waterfront, Cape Town.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just had a look online, and EB does list it.

So Memoirs must have been re-printed.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Indeed, Yoda, it has. I have a brand new reprint.

I wish the same would happen with James Stevenson Hamilton's book.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next