Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Wild magazine
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:04 pm 
Guru
Guru

Please spread the news around - we've finally launched the magazine that succeeds the earlier A5 Wild in Africa that was distributed free to Wild Cardholders.

This one - entitled just Wild - is a MUCH classier act, A4, 80-odd pages, "coffee table"-feel and -look, printed on environmentally-friendly paper made from sugar cane waste.

The articles are by journalists and environmentalists who are leaders in their fields, and of course the readers are the best imaginable - all of you.

For those of you who (unaccountably :huh: ) haven't yet bought your Wild Card, you might be lucky enough to find it on sale at your favourite in-park news agency.

Kind regards,

Steve[/i]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:18 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

And for those who live in other parts of the world? Call it Europe, Australia, Israel, States and so on??

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Wild magazine
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:01 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi DuQues,

We've so far hesitated to mail magazines to overseas cardholders because of the horrendous costs involved (bear in mind that we're mailing around 70 000 to Southern Africa as it is, at a cost of around ZAR300 000).

Until we've been able to get a better handle on the costs, we probably will continue to delay.

But if you (or any other forumite) is at all interested, drop a line to joan@tipafrica.co.za and we'll undertake to arrange some sort of subscription deal at the best possible price (as long as the mailing costs are roughly covered).

It really is an outstanding first issue, and has received nothing but lavish praise from everyone who has seen it.

Kind regards,

Steve

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Steve, just a suggestion, but have your publishers looked at sea (ie surface) mail, rather than air mail, for overseas cardholders? Yes, it takes longer, but the magazine is just as worthwhile after the longer wait — and overseas cardholders aren't likely going to be taking advantage of any time-sensitive offers anyways, so speed of receipt isn't critical.

I personally would consider subscribing to, for example, Africa Geographic or/and Getaway except for the excessive cost of a subscription because airmail is the only option they offer. While I'd love to see those magazines, on my limited budget, I'd rather save those costs towards traveling.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:23 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Thanks Steve!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:31 pm 

Hi all, I am a wildcard member...I never receive any mail through my wild card. Is there something I did not subcribe to ? I would really like to get my hands on the "WILD" magazine.

The Kruger Park..a place that is close at heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You'll get a sneak preview of a few pages of the mag on the site in the am :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:14 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I am also a wild card member but I have never received a mag...any ideas on how to correct this???

:) :) :) :) :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:38 am 

michele nel wrote:
I am also a wild card member but I have never received a mag...any ideas on how to correct this???

We have also never ever received any printed matter from Wildcard whether it be a magazine, newsletter, or reminder/account that the current card is about to expire.
The only out of the ordinary thing that ever happenned to us was when we decided to use the card to go to Mugg & Bean to have dinner for my Moms Birthday recently only to be told that that "was only a rumour" that you can use your card for a discount...but the literature clearly stated you could at time of purchase...Just another scam it seems...So at the moment we just carry on as we always have and just use the card to get into Parks for free or rather without having to pay for Conservation fees...another misconception as the money is used for everything else but conservation...as for any magazine arriving in the post we here in the Eastern Cape wont be holding our breath

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:19 am 

I asked Stephen the same question about the Mag yesterday and he very quickly and efficiently gave me an answer. Thank you for the super fast response Stephen :thumbs_up:

The "Wild in Africa" magazine was last published 2 years ago. So no one would have received it in the last 2 years. The new one has just been finished printed and we should received it soon ...

Bushcall .. you accusations are quite serious. Why would you say the funds are not going to conservation?? I also know of a lot of people who have used their card at Mugg & Bean without any problems. So maybe M&B had some alterior motives?

Post subject: Re: Wild magazine
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:22 am 

Wildsteve wrote:
Please spread the news around - we've finally launched the magazine that succeeds the earlier A5 Wild in Africa that was distributed free to Wild Cardholders.

Will there be a digital version (in the future)? It would be great for the international card holders.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:43 am 

Quote:
we decided to use the card to go to Mugg & Bean to have dinner for my Moms Birthday recently only to be told that that "was only a rumour" that you can use your card for a discount

I stand to be corrected here but the discounts that are offered on the wild card were organised by Infinity. This company I think no longer exists .....or something like that. Until recently I always received my discounts at various outlets around Cape Town. The last 2 family wild cards that I have purchased have come free of charge because I had enough cash back to pay for them. One also got cash back at Sanparks on one's accommodation...I am not sure whether that still happens.

:) :) :) :) :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:28 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wild Magazine-Launch Issue

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

diannet wrote:

Well done Diannet Can't wait to see it :clap: :clap: