SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Going virtual or viral in Kruger for the wrong reasons
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
For example 20 years and longer ago the technology did not exist to capture and go viral or virtual worldwide with the footage/evidence of those who break the rules within seconds after they behaved badly :rtm: in Kruger. Therefore it could be possible that instances of bad behaviour in Kruger could have gone unnoticed in the days of telephone exchanges and snail mail - no Facebook or Twitter for all to see immediately who behaved badly. I therefore :hmz: if the incidents of unacceptable behavior in Kruger are more these days than in those days or did some of the bad behavour go unnoticed because the technology did not exist to report it immediately? Perhaps we will never know for a fact whether the instances of Kruger rule breaking are more in the 2010’s than in the past -before the advent of social IT technology :hmz: ?

Nevertheless, I think the availability of technology is good to enforce the rule of law in Kruger as those who break the rules can be :cam:, Whatsupped, Tweeted and Youtubed before he or she knows it.

Post subject: Re: Going virtual or viral in Kruger for the wrong reasons
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:02 am 

I think it's a bit of both. Yes certain instances of poor behavior were previously unreported or unseen, but I do see (firsthand) far more irregular behavior at sightings etc. than in the past. I used to take exception to the odd head out of a sunroof, or torso out of a window, but these days that seems mild. I think back to my most recent trip, where an entire family was sitting with their bodies out of their vehicle; mom and dad sitting on their 'windowsills' while the kiddies in the back were doing the same. This from not one, but 2 cars at the same sighting.

This has a snowball effect. The kiddies grow up assuming this to be acceptable behavior, as do other visitors and their kids who see this taking place. Thus, the more people that assume this to be the norm and acceptable, the higher the frequency will become.

Unfortunately I don't think that the naming and shaming does all that much to prevent this behavior. It almost seems as though some people get a kick out of being law breakers.

Stand Fast

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:49 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Ian Grant I also think people are more arrogant these days. I think the “name and shame’ bit does help and social media can assist to show people that what they do is wrong. Sometimes their photo’s are published in galleries of shame in outdoors magazines with the number plate and all - in addition to being posted all over the social media. Few people will not be :redface: ashamed :redface: of what they did after such exposure. I think it is more difficult for tourists who misbehave in Kruger to go unnoticed these days as the social media has become part of our daily lives these days.

I have to admit that by far the most visitors to Kruger that I encounter still abide to the rules and regulations – thank you Kruger visitors for that 8) .

In the “olden days” I guess people also misbehaved but not like today. Perhaps they chucked out a few orange peels out of the window every 100km’s or so.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I'm the first to reprimand people who break the rules and who will report bad behaviour to the nearest camp reception, but people who "police" this must also be reasonable. A friend of mine who is also a keen photographer was once almost assualted by 2 ladies because he dared to rest his 500mm lens (it's a big one) over the driver door mirror of his bakkie (his body was inside the cab and his head sticking out of the window a bit to see through the viewfinder). :x :wall:

Don't miss the forest for the trees.