Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Do you collect things from Kruger for your house?
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:55 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I am not an collector as such but there are a few things in our house that come from the Kruger: Typed menu’s from the restaurants from the 1980’s, booking and entry permits from all previous trips to Kruger, brown paper bags which had a roaring lion with a huge mane on it saying Welcome to the Kruger Park/Welkom in die Nasionale Krugerwildtuin, old Kruger road maps and a few bars of those green carbolic type Kruger soaps that a person found in the Rondavels a few years back. I also have an old tin of canned elephant meat that I got from my father. I remember seeing some of those badges that people bought in the camps that they put on hats that someone showed me but I do not own any of them.

Do you collect or display memorabilia from Kruger or other SA Parks?

Last edited by Grantmissy on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Do you collect things from Kruger for your house?
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:14 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)
I am very sentimental :| So I keep all our entry permits in a memory box and go through them once in a while reminiscing about our wonderful trips.

I also keep those little soaps (think we still have those green ones somewhere... ) :whistle:

We have a little bit of everything in our Kruger Collection... from copper ashtrays, cutlery and matchboxes to wooden stationary holders. These items were passed on to me by my grandmother :k and will always have a very special place in my heart and home.

Nowadays, I collect the jewellery sold in the shops. Of that I have a rather large collection :tongue: But you really can never have enough things from your favorite place on earth. 8)

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:26 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I have to confess :redface: :redface: I have folders of all our various trips with all the gate entries etc.

Then there is a HUGE glass jar filled with those soaps.

If you want to see me "angry", you should use that brown paper bag with the lion on it!! Those are for keeps, the brown bags you get at the shops in the evening get used the next day in the car for all the "rubbish"

Then there is a collection of little trinkets collected over the years. Fridge magnets being the most, worst of all is that I was the one saying NEVER EVER will I have a fridge covered in magnets!!! :shock:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mugs, not only Kruger, other Sanparks, and other locations too.
Frustrating because a lot of camps don't carry stock of nice mugs (we try collect a mug per camp)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I try to do the mugs and glasses. When a mug breaks, I convince myself that I have to go back and buy another one. I have become quite discerning about the quality of the mugs. I was heart broken when a really good quality mug ''disappeared''. I bought it on a sale at Pretorius Kop and it was perfect in every way.

I have lots and lots of soaps. It seems that they are a constant reminder.

I also sometimes buy socks. They are a good quality and last a long time. I also have a lovely scarf that I bought when I forgot my yellow ribbon.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
It seems that each decade had its own Kruger “fashions’ regarding collectables and other needful Kruger things. I remember in the ‘80’s my aunts collected those three legs little pots made of porcelain, similar to the black cast iron pots that is used for potjiekos, with the names of the different camps on it. And teaspoons. In the ‘90’s it was kitchen and dinner linen with guinea fowl motives on it and big 5 wines. Now in the 2000’s it is neutral colored clothing, elephant dung and other animal droppings sealed in plastic jars and organic stationary made from elephant dung as well.

I guess what remained the same over the decades was the Kruger maps and guides although continually updated, homemade rusks and jams and other preserves like marulas in liquor.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:29 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We also have a collection of Kruger/KTP maps and entry permits together with pamphlets from other SANParks with Bird/Mammal/Plant lists. Glasses are unfortunately beginning to vanish into the dustbin as they get used and gradually broken.......ditto with mugs. Soaps?.........well there was a collection but when we moved 3 years ago - it sort of didn't make it to the new house :(

KNP 3 May - 8 June 2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:08 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Remember the animal print curtains well I bought a whole roll of it and my kids had the best curtains in town .. !!!!!! I too have those plastic mugs that have the parks name on them .. from the parks we visit . oh and the maps I have them from the 60s and also the entry permits and prices( way back then R1 entry fee etc
)

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:58 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Josh of the Bushveld wrote:
Mugs, not only Kruger, other Sanparks, and other locations too.
Frustrating because a lot of camps don't carry stock of nice mugs (we try collect a mug per camp)

Agree. "South Africa"-branded or "Kruger Park"-branded mugs and the like do not have nearly the same appeal as camp name branded items.

I was lucky to get a couple of stainless steel water bottles branded with "Shingwedzi" and an image of a big five head (buffalo or lion or ....) in 2012 (before the camp washed away), and hoped to get the same for other camps stayed at since, including Punda Maria, Mopani, Satara and Pretoriuskop -- but nada.
:(

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What I want to do in December is mosey on over to the nursery and buy some plants. I'm not a gardener at all but I reckon I oculd possibly get a few indigeounous things to grow on the East rand. Does that count as a memento or keepsake?

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:32 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dabchick wrote:
Agree. "South Africa"-branded or "Kruger Park"-branded mugs and the like do not have nearly the same appeal as camp name branded items. :(

Yup, can get those everywhere, but not really that appealing. I wish whoever deals with the mugs (and metallic stickers) would get their act into gear. Sanparks generally know far in advance how many people there will be at camps at particular times.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:34 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Moobox that is one of the best items that you can get from Kruger I think. The Skukuza nursery is well worth a visit. In November 2011 the lady gave us seeds, because we were curious, for the Sjambokpeul tree (hope it is correct) to try to grow – wow that Skukuza nursery lady is very knowledgeable, do not know if she is still there. It is those trees with the long peule that a person sees whilst driving around in Kruger. We planted the seeds according to her instructions and Yes! after a while we saw green coming out and we paid extra attention to the green growth etc etc. But it was soon revealed that is was common stubborn weeds that we pull out daily from our garden. No growth from the seeds to this day.

I do hope you will be successful planting your trees/shrubs from the Kruger, I think you will be rewarded. A living needful Kruger memento or keepsake indeed :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I bought an Impala Lily in Kruger, my SO assured me that it would die in the Free State, but I've got it in a pot in the sun on my patio, and it's 4 times it's size already in just 2 years. I do pamper it and close it up at night in winter. Every time I look at it, it reminds me of Kruger :dance: :dance:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:42 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Sometimes in shops that sells antiques and collectibles a person can buy Kruger items. One of such Kruger collectibles that I have seen was a salt and pepper set with a map of the Kruger on it – from the north to the south. It was in good condition, no chips. On it was written Nasionale Kruger Wildtuin. I should have bought it :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
We bought the "flower arrangements" made by the picnic site attendant at Makhadzi picnic site, we buy a different arrangement every trip and they are proudly displayed in my SO's music studio, we also have coasters that have impalas printed on them, I don't use them, they are only for show :roll: :roll:

I forgot the most important one :doh: :doh: my garden is a living memory of all my (our) trips to the Kruger, Skukuza nursery is a must for anybody that likes plants and greenery, we buy a plant (keep it outside our accommodation) and when we get home we replant it :D :D

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Last edited by tent dweller on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.