SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: We, the Braai Masters of the SA Parks
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:36 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Grantmissy wrote:

I guess the wood they sell in the Parks shops are from invasive trees found in the region where the National Park is.

I have my doubts about that . If you look at the road approaching Orpen for instance , then you will see that on the one side , the land is almost totally denuded , whereas on the other side or the road with its private game reserves , it is still very well forested . What does that tell you .
Now , I have noticed that a lot of visitors to the park use charcoal , which is a good idea , because charcoal is more energy efficient than wood itself . However , think about this .
Quite often just about the whole packet ( 5 kg ? ) is used for a braai . Considering that to make one kg charcoal , uses about 4 kg ( or more ) wood , then it appears to me that far too much charcoal is used in the process . You may as well use a full 20 kg bag of wood , which IMHO is quite wastefull .
And sustainable ? No , not at all , unless you specifically plant trees from which to make the charcoal , then all you are doing is to denude the forest . And quite often , it is denuded of protected trees , but which are sought after because they make great coals for a braai .
Just think of those popular ones already mentioned on this thread - Hardekool ( Leadwood ) , Kameeldoring ( Camel Thorn ) . These are both protected and " wild " growing trees may not be cut down without a specific permit . Yet both species are used in big quantities , and I can assure you , certainly not from farmed trees :cry:

So , next time when you have your braai in Kruger ( or elsewhere for that matter ) , enjoying nature , then give a thought about what kind of wood you are using , and for how long will that same kind of wood still be available for braaing . :roll:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Oh, I forgot to mention that 'mielestronke is a good alternative for toilet paper. I but rough, but it works.

Regarding camel thorn being a protected species, we were assured that the wood was obtained from trees that died from natural causes. From my regular visits to the western Free State and Western Transvaal, I can assure you that there is no shortage of camel thorn trees.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Rooies - :thumbs_up:
But this in your hat and smoke it :

Camelthorn trees first gained its protected status in 1941, which is still in place today.

The law under section 12 of Act No. 84 of 1998 states that if a tree species is declared protected, “No person may (a) cut, disturb, damage, destroy or remove any protected tree; or (b) collect, remove, transport, export, purchase, sell, donate or in any other manner acquire or dispose of any protected tree, except under a licence granted by the Minister.”

Interestingly , the act does not distinguish between dead and live trees, so even removal of a dead specimen is illegal without a permit.

Hmmmm.... makes you think :hmz:

Maybe they farm them there in Western Transvaal , and then allow them to die a natural death :whistle:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Okie, fauna and flora in the Free State are very strict as far as conservation is concerned, so much so that a farmer who shot a kudu which was damaging his crops, was charged under the relevant conservation laws. They even sent the chief prosecutor of the Green Scorpions to do the matter.

But, I am yet to see somebody being charged for selling camel thorn even though it is sold openly at garages.

Speaking of wood, some use only 'sekelbos' from Namibia, but don't throw away Mopani, although it smells a bit like cow dung.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:24 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:

But, I am yet to see somebody being charged for selling camel thorn even though it is sold openly at garages.

Speaking of wood, some use only 'sekelbos' from Namibia, but don't throw away Mopani, although it smells a bit like cow dung.

Of course , it is quite difficult to identify wood that has been chopped up for firewood and therefore not easy to make a good case for prosecution .

On the other hand , sickle bush is also excellent , makes a wonderful coal .
( Does not quite have the same reputation as camelthorn --- Hmmm , maybe those garages are actually selling sickle bush and not camelthorn :hmz: )

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good topic this, good and fresh meat is always a must, good company always the best, pap tart or braai bored is a must and a nice cold glass of ..................

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Pap tart :shock: :shock: sounds delicious, how do you make it please :? :? We love pap and tomato/onion gravy with a braai BUT I don't really know how to make pap properly, yesterday I was doing some shopping for our Kruger holiday (yes, I do know that it is still 11 weeks to go :whistle: ) and I found something really amazing, a silver packet of White Star quick maize meal, the packet says "cooks in 2 minutes", so now maybe when on holiday we can have some decent pap with our braai :roll: :roll: :whistle:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Don't know what pap tart is ..... perhaps a tart made from pap :hmz:

I'll tell you what a Freestate sandwich is --- Two slices of " stywe pap " ( stiff pap ) , with "slap pap " ( runny porridge ) , in the middle :whistle:

In any event , to make a nice " krummel pap " ( crumbly pap ) - You use one cup of mealie meal , and about 3/4 cup water . Boil about 1/2 cup water , then stir up the m/meal in the boiling water using a fork . You will see the water immediately becomes absorbed in the meal , but keep on stirring it , breaking it up into a crumbly consistency . Add the rest of the water , close the lid , and let stand for a few minutes . You can then keep on stirring it/breaking it up . Basically , you are steaming the meal , until it is nicely swelled out and cooked . Makes enough for two helpings .
You can eat with milk or something like yoghurt stirred into it . I like it with maas , or plain cream , with sugar sprinkled over it .
Oh , by the way , the burnings in the bottom of the pot , scraped out , and eaten in the same way , is also delicious :dance:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
okie, sounds delicious, will experiment before we go on holiday, thank you for the info :D

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Okie I do not know that Free State sandwich. They must be very fond of mielie pap in the Free State. I prefer braai broodjies (sandwiches toasted on the braai)

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:05 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
An easy side-dish that is cool during the sizzling hot summer months: Wrap 1 unpeeled fresh beetroot per person in heavy duty foil and cook among the coals until done, like you would cook a jacket potato in the braai coals. When cool enough to handle peel and cut the beetroots into slices. Squirt some honey and mustard salad dressing over the beetroot slices and also ground black pepper. A few cubes of feta cheese are also nice with it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
This is an easy to make basting sauce for your tjops, chicken and other Braaivleis in the Kruger and other Parks:

Mix well together 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 finely grated onion, 2 finely crushed garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons honey, 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 125 ml tomato sauce, 2 deseeded chopped chilies and 2 tablespoons barbecue spice. Pour into a jar that seals well and pack amongst your Braai Things that you take to the Kruger or any of the other National Parks in South Africa.

Happy Christmas and New Year Braaiing and all the other happy December holiday Braais in between :P .

P.S If you are still working and have to stay at home :| the basting sauce is also good, just keep the fire discussion going with past Kruger sightings :wink: .

Post subject: Wood Fire- a stupid question (or 2)
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:54 pm 

Hi Mites,

For the last 15yrs have only made charcoal fires. Am due in Kruger soon and want to attempt a wood fie again. Here's the question (perhaps 2). How long before eating should one light the fire if one prefers hot coals; and will one bag of wood bought in the Parks shop provide enough coals to braai for 6-8 people. Charcoal coals tend to go to ash quite quickly. Is it the same for wood. Appreciate any responses to what for many may be very basic questions.

Horrace

Post subject: Re: Wood Fire- a stupid question (or 2)
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:05 pm 

Hi Horrace

Just my opinion, but I think wood fire braaied meat much more delish than the char coaled 8) . Wood bought in the Park needs to be lighted at least an hour before ready to braai and you might/will need firelighters to get it going.

Enjoy ! :D

Post subject: Re: Wood Fire- a stupid question (or 2)
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:25 pm 

Thanks Matthys, will the coals remain hot enough to braai for 6-8 people, normally 2 sessions of braaing?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next