Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Early History on Satara & Nossob Water Hole - Man Made/When?
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:02 am 

I am honored to be here and wish you many blessings...please call me Kat. I have some questions if you don't mind. Back in 1997, I owned a webtv, kind of like a pc with no memory and I used my tv for the internet. While browsing one day to look for things to home school my son with, I came across a website called Africam. I was hooked and it actually had a back to back sister site (at least that is what I call it). The two water holes that my son and I would watch for days were very small. I never joined any chat, I really did not know how to go about doing that but my son and I had fun and learned a great deal of animal information. I was away from Africam for a while (longer than I realized) had gone through a couple of pc's and found Africam again. I joined their chat and it seemed like no one knew what I was talking about when explaining what it was I saw back in 1997. So, I was away again and went through another pc and remembered Africam and my love for the animals. They added now 4 new cams (I has so happy for that) and again, I thought I would try to ask about the 2 waterholes I saw and finally, a couple of people did recall it. In fact, one person lead me directly here to not only see 4 web cams but the actual 2 waterholes I saw over 16 years ago. I cried and my son, grown now, was so happy. A lot has changes in that amount of time, but since I now have access to viewing them again, I wondered about their history because they do look man made. The two I am talking about are Satara and Nossob. I appreciate in advance any information dating back as early as possible about these two waterholes as you can give me, like who built them and what where they intended for in the beginning. Guess I always think that some water holes may have been built as a pool for luxury at first and then they are left and years later this is what we see. I love a good story. Please forgive my spelling as I am just so excited because I just found all this out within this last week. Thank you kindly. Kat

Post subject: Re: Early History on Satara & Nossob Water Hole - Man Made/W
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:16 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Kat ,a and a very warm welcome to the forum. You will find that there are a whole lot of camwatchers here and they regularly post pics of the highlights that they saw on the webcams. So if you miss anything special, you will find it here.

To answer your question - both waterholes are man made, specifically to draw animals to the area. In the case of the Nossob waterhole, there is no natural waterhole nearby, and therefore there would be no animals ib the area for most of the time. Mind you, the waterhole was built long before they thought of, or knew about webcams :D

Enjoy the webcams, and wish you may hours of happy camming :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:49 pm 

Hi Kat, a very warm welcome to the forum.

We still have some people around who were on Africam in the early 2000s, not sure if they were around as early as 1997 though.

Anyway if you look at this page you will find 4 webcams provided by SANParks. You'll also find 2 links to live action webcams - if you have a fast enough connection you can see all the action as it happens.

As BillyF has said we have some very dedicated members who capture the action so you can catch up if you miss anything and you are more than welcome to join in. We will try to answer any questions you may have, have a look here.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:11 pm 

Warm welcome Kat, :clap:
I hope you will enjoy the webcams along with us all.
Over the years we have witnessed first hand many exciting events and seen such amazing sightings at the waterholes.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:54 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum Kat.

I first went to Nossob in 2003, and by co-incidence I met the Nossob section ranger who was a year ahead of my son at his scool, and who had started working there the day before. There was no floodlighting at the waterhole and it was quite a bit further away from the hide.
We went back 3 years later and the ranger was ironically in his last few days there, but had installed the floodlighting and brought the waterhole a lot closer to the hide.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:58 am 

How kind of all of you to respond, you have given me hope yet to know more about the two water holes history and more so "who" built them and why? 16 years is a long time I know, but I have been patient this long because someday I will find someone who knows the whole story. Everyone has been so wonderful and to each of you who responded back to me I am sending you all HUGE KAT HUGS and a HUGE Thank You. Blessings to all and I look forward to many more discussions in the future. Thanks

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:22 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Early pictures of some of the water holes in Kruger.

Orpen.

New Orpen

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi MLadyK,

I cannot recall that there was a webcam so long ago, but found an article on research done by BBC at that time on raptors. My first visit was in 1998 when it was called Gemsbok National park and not as popular as currently with very few visitors even in school holidays. Only after the building of the Wilderness camps that park went out to promote its accommodation and became popular after 2009 when the tar road was completed to the park.

The BBC crew mentioned that the waterhole at Nossob was called Lekkerwater, something I did not know.

Quote:
We soon concluded
that the waterholes that offered
the best viewing options within striking
distance of our base at Nossob restcamp
were Rooikop (just south of Nossob),
Lekkerwater (at the camp itself) and
Cubitje Quap, Kwang, Leiersdraai and
Kannagaus (increasing distances north
of Nossob)

http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CDQQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fitzpatrick.uct.ac.za%2Fafrica_birds%2FABB10(4)34-45.pdf&ei=v9FrUvXvCMyxhAfa2YHgDg&usg=AFQjCNE7Ti9YsxJdOQdGvohUH-1faZ-ptg