Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: A Decade of Memories
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:48 pm 

A decade passes by so quickly when you are having fun!

Let us share our memories here. :dance:

Remember to log on during next Thursday, 27 November 2014 (especially at 10am!) for the celebration - there is a prize on offer too.

Post subject: Re: A Decade of Memories
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:53 pm 

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=31&t=15329

Forum History - just for fun

The day SANParks Forum history was made

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:22 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2013)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2014)
How lovely to celebrate SANParks forum 10th birthday party with a Decade of Memories!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have only been a forumite for 5 years but even so I wanted to share the story of how my addiction to the forums began.....

The wonderful world of SANParks webcams :D :D

In April 2009 I watched a National Geographic documentary about a couple in Zimbabwe who were raising an orphaned honey badger on their private game sanctuary. I was so enthralled that I wrote to them and couldn't believe it when I opened the mailbox 2 months later to find a letter from Rich and Bookey, with an invitation to visit them! :shock: 8)

I decided then and there that I was going to Africa :dance: :dance: :dance:

So I filled my life with all things Africa - books, movies, documentaries :thumbs_up:

Then one day I found a website with webcams overlooking waterholes in SA National Parks 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
And it didn't take long before I was completely hooked :tongue: :lol:
I was in awe of the animals I saw coming to drink and watched the cams every spare moment I had :roll: :whistle:

One night I saw what I thought might have been wild hunting dogs :big_eyes:
So I plucked up the courage to register and made my very first post on 5th August 2009.

melph68 wrote:
Hello. Just wondering if the animals in this grainy pic could be wild hunting dogs? That would be so cool!!

I'm new here. This website and forum is fantastic!

Thanks.

I received the most wonderful welcome from forumites and instantly felt part of a big supportive and like-minded family of nature lovers :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And with a little encouragement from the likes of Meandering Mouse, Lionspoon, Kamadejo, Magic Guarri, chirinda and MATTHYS, I became a dedicated cammer :thumbs_up:

Those little webcams on my computer desktop were windows into a whole new world for me and became my constant companions.
My Africa travel plans then evolved around visiting as many of the cams as possible :mrgreen:

So in March 2012 my Dad and I visited the Orpen, Satara and Addo cams.
It was so amazing to see the webcams from the other side of my computer! 8) 8) 8)

I was even lucky enough to be captured on the Addo cam as part of a mobile webcam fundraising event organised by Lionspoon :dance: :dance: :dance:

vinkie wrote:

Submitted by RichardJ :D

From left, my Dad, me, Lionspoon, Spots and RonnieL :D

On that whirlwind one month trip I also had the great privilege to meet some of my camming buddies in real life :dance: :dance: :dance:
Meandering Mouse, chirinda, Shi, Magic Guarri, Lionspoon and Spots, koedoe and RonnieL :D :D :D :D :D :D

I am still completely addicted to the cams and love sharing my sightings from the midnight shift and continue to "meet" wonderful new forumite friends :D

My life will forever be a better place for being a part of the SANParks family so thanks for all the fabulous memories and here's to another decade's worth :clap: :clap: :clap:

Happy 10th birthday SANParks forum!!
:dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

melph68 wrote:
How lovely to celebrate SANParks forum 10th birthday party with a Decade of Memories!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have only been a forumite for 5 years but even so I wanted to share the story of how my addiction to the forums began.....

The wonderful world of SANParks webcams :D :D

In April 2009 I watched a National Geographic documentary about a couple in Zimbabwe who were raising an orphaned honey badger on their private game sanctuary. I was so enthralled that I wrote to them and couldn't believe it when I opened the mailbox 2 months later to find a letter from Rich and Bookey, with an invitation to visit them! :shock: 8)

I decided then and there that I was going to Africa :dance: :dance: :dance:

So I filled my life with all things Africa - books, movies, documentaries :thumbs_up:

Then one day I found a website with webcams overlooking waterholes in SA National Parks 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
And it didn't take long before I was completely hooked :tongue: :lol:
I was in awe of the animals I saw coming to drink and watched the cams every spare moment I had :roll: :whistle:

One night I saw what I thought might have been wild hunting dogs :big_eyes:
So I plucked up the courage to register and made my very first post on 5th August 2009.

melph68 wrote:
Hello. Just wondering if the animals in this grainy pic could be wild hunting dogs? That would be so cool!!

I'm new here. This website and forum is fantastic!

Thanks.

I received the most wonderful welcome from forumites and instantly felt part of a big supportive and like-minded family of nature lovers :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

On that whirlwind one month trip I also had the great privilege to meet some of my camming buddies in real life :dance: :dance: :dance:
Meandering Mouse, chirinda, Shi, Magic Guarri, Lionspoon and Spots, koedoe and RonnieL :D :D :D :D :D :D

I am still completely addicted to the cams and love sharing my sightings from the midnight shift and continue to "meet" wonderful new forumite friends :D

My life will forever be a better place for being a part of the SANParks family so thanks for all the fabulous memories and here's to another decade's worth :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mel Your dedication to this forum is very much appreciated :gflower: and it has contributed in a big way towards 10 great years of this awesome forum. I too feel truly blessed to have met many a forumite including you :dance: along the way, and though us forumites may not all always see eye to eye, the passion for our parks and conservation remain evident in each and everyone.

Last edited by Mellory on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:46 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
My greatest memories are of people.

Mellory, I remember your first trip report and a most beautiful picture of a flying bird, maybe even a Goose.

When we met in real time at Mopani, I had a feeling for your talents.

Melph, I just saw that you had a love for reptiles. I also appreciated your curiosity. That brought about an invitation from MM.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm 

I have sooo many wonderful memories of the past 10 years its quite difficult to think of just one!
What laughs we had and a few tears for when one of us was going through tough times.
I will always remember the unbelievable support I had when I broke my ankle in 2008, it was just amazing!
The parties, the birthdays we celebrated, the various achievements all served to unite us.
The trips to the various parks were like we were all there together, the meets, the cricket weekends, the true friends I have made...where do I end??
I can't and I hope I can be part of another fantastic 10 years on this incredible forum of ours.

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:58 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

I don't have 10 years of memories, but my 5 years are filled to the brim with good laughs and heart warming memories. Great mites were met over these years and good times we had. Shared sightings and photos and that is what makes this the best place to be, you can share your good times with good friends!!!

The one memory I think I'll remember for ever, was the day I thought I locked the whole forum!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:53 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mouse wrote:
My greatest memories are of people.

Mellory, I remember your first trip report and a most beautiful picture of a flying bird, maybe even a Goose.

When we met in real time at Mopani, I had a feeling for your talents.

Melph, I just saw that you had a love for reptiles. I also appreciated your curiosity. That brought about an invitation from MM.

Awww thank you MM. You were the 1st forumite I met (what a treat) I was so excited to see the YR and waited by the car for someone to return. I remember my 1st TR too was very exciting and comments and spurring on made it all the more exciting to share.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:58 am 

Well done to ALL of YOU, keep up the fun and sharing!!!!!!!!!!

Kgalagadi - Mata Mata 13 Dec'14
Kgalagadi - Grootkolk 14-15 Dec'14
Kgalagadi - Kieliekrankie 16-17 Dec'14
Kgalagadi - Urikaruus 18-19 Dec'14
KNP - Mjejane 26 Dec'14 to 01 Jan'15
KNP - Orpen 02-03 Jan'15
KNP - Satara 04 Jan'15

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:05 am 

10 Years - Wow what a journey.